• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Temporary working and IR35 (april 2017)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary working and IR35 (april 2017)

Temporary working opportunities for public authorities are covered by the IR35 rules which came into effect on 6 April 2017. Since then when making a temporary role available the end employer (a public authority, health trust, etc.) has to assess and define if the role is either IR35 in scope (where tax and national insurance contributions are deducted at source) or IR35 out-scope (where no deductions are taken at source). The IR35 rules specify that an end employer must state the IR35 assessment before a contract is entered into or started. What is the legal situation for a public authority to alter the IR35 category after a contract has commenced, and without any prior notification, part way through the contract start to deduct contributions and seek to claw back such from payments already made ?
    What is the legal situation in addition when such retrospective claw back is made to an earlier separate and completed / finished contract of temporary employment ?

Tags: None

I am really sorry but I have no expertise on IR35. However I do know that you can contact the IR35 Helpline. You don’t need to reveal your identity to use the helpline and any information you do give will not be shared with HMRC compliance teams. The number is 0300 123 2326.

Hope they can help you.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you ULA, I rand the number indicated and spoke to a advisor at HMRC. He indicated that the council are able to review the status of any job subject to IR35 but if they change the assessment from being out-scope to becoming in-scope they can take tax and NI contributions from the time that they came to the that reassessment, but are not enabled to either backdate the payment contributions or take contributions from owed invoices for invoices that they have already met. This has given me a more positive feeling that I am in the right and that the council are in the wrong on the actions that they took.

Comment

Hi Intrigued thank you so much for coming back with an update and I am glad that you managed to speak to an advisor via the number I gave who could give you some advice.

I would suggest that with this information you should write to the council and explain that you have taken advice and provide then with what you have been told. Ask them for their comment in particular regard as to why they believe that they can claw-back tax and NI deductions from prior to their assessment date because based on what you have been told they are not entitled to do so.

Then see what they come back with but hopefully it will be just a sorry we got it wrong!
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X