• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Holiday pay deduction from final pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday pay deduction from final pay

Hi I've been dismissed by way of redundancy but have taken more holiday than acrued and this has been deducted from my final pay. My contract is vague about such matters not specifically mentioning this scenario so I suspect the deduction may not legal. My contract States "the company shall be entitled to deduct from your salary all sums owing or otherwise payable from you to the company". Is this a bit ambiguous enough to not be safe for the company to rely on ? Thanks in advance.
    Wayne
    Tags: None

You took holiday that you had not earned and therefore the company is taking payment for that unearned holiday time. You were paid for holiday time that you were not entitled to. I think you would have a lot of trouble taking this further.

Comment

In my view overtaken holiday would be considered as a sum owing to the company and therefore payable back to the company.

Just as a matter of interest is there any clause in your contract that relates to "holiday on termination."

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Or something like holiday will be accrued at x.x days per month worked?
        Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

Hi there's no specific mention of "holiday on termination" or of overtaken holiday. The only statement in my contract is "the company shall be entitled to deduct from your salary all sums owing or otherwise payable from you to the company". Wasn't sure if this was enough or without ambiguity enough to take back the holidays. Obviously I've taken the holidays but had I know I was going to be made redundant I would have had the opportunity to cancel to preserve as much pay as possible. So the question is does my clause as quoted go far enough and is it clear and without ambiguity enough for the company to rely on? Thanks all what a fab community of legal Beagles we have here
          Wayne

Comment

I think they have covered themseleves, you owed them for holidays taken but not earned and they have taken it back.

Comment

I agree that the deduction for overtaken holiday is a "sum owing" to the company and therefore needs to be paid back.
              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks all for your responses
                Wayne

Comment

In order to lawfully make this deduction there needs to be a specific clause agreeing that payment for overtaken holiday will be reimbursed.

"the company shall be entitled to deduct from your salary all sums owing or otherwise payable from you to the company". This clause doesn't mention holiday pay at all, so it doesn't qualify.

There was no overpayment when you took the holidays, there was just payment.
                  If employers are concerned about employees taking holidays that have not yet accrued they can simply refuse to authorise the holiday or they can have a relevant agreement in place.

See Hill v Chapell below:

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKEAT...0_01_2003.html

Comment

Mariefab you are indeed as your name suggests thank you so much.

Wayne

Comment

Just had a thought. I was not paid then had paid money taken back as my holiday was taken during a period I was yet to be paid for. On return from holiday I was made redundant then paid a week later. Is this likely to affect my case ? Thanks
                      Wayne

Comment

I can't imagine why it should make any difference.

See WTR 1998 below.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made

Section 14 applies to accrued holiday on the Termination Date.
                        If, on the termination date, an employee has taken less than the holiday they've accrued the employer must pay them in lieu of the untaken amount. 14(2).
                        If, on the termination date, an employee has taken more than the holiday they've accrued the employer can only recover, or deduct, the overtaken amount where a relevant agreement is in place. 14(4).

Before the termination date you requested the holiday and the employer agreed you could take it. s.15.
                        You then took the holiday so you are entitled to be paid for it. s.16.

The failure to pay is an unauthorised deduction. See ERA 1996 s.13(1), (2) & (3) below.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...ns-by-employer

Comment

Thanks Mariefab that gives me confidence and important information with which to challenge the deduction. On a side issue you asked me a question I've since answered on my other enquiry regarding pilon. I greatly appreciate your excellent advice.
                          Wayne

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X