• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Former Employer Still Owes Money But Has Issued P45

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Employer Still Owes Money But Has Issued P45

My employment contract with my former employer says that they do not have to pay me any commissions and bonuses after I leave of if they are payable during my notice period. As I was leaving to go to a local competitor, the standard (unofficial) policy would be to let me go without working notice, however due to the time of year (March - I work for car dealership) they said that they wanted me to work the notice period but that they would pay me for my outstanding deals. I agreed with the General Sales Manager how and when this would be paid and I went on to work the notice period as required. At the end of March they paid me as agreed however the commission for March was still outstanding and due to be paid at the end of April but I have now recieved a P45 from them. I assume this means that they wont be paying me anything at the end of April?

If so, what can I do?
    Tags: None

Have you asked them what their intentions are?
    Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

I have emailed and am awaiting a response

Comment

Did you get confirmation in writing to the agreement to pay outstanding deals if you worked your notice? I just ask since the wording you have posted up from your contract implies that they do not have to pay any commission or bonus if they are payable in your notice period. I presume the commission and bonus you were looking to be paid for were any deals you made in your notice period?

I suggest that you write to the company requesting the outstanding payments and assuming you have a written agreement to pay these sums refer to that document.

The company can still pay you the outstanding commission even though you have been issued with a P45, however they will not be able to issue you with a new P45.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

They have replied since I made the original post. Sales Manager says it will be paid at the end of this month.

I confirmed our agreement by email to him which he then forwarded to payroll and copied me in. I forwarded this email chain to my personal email so I had a record of it.

There was confusion originally with my leaving date as they asked me to cover March 1st but then March 2nd would be the last day I was required in work but would be paid for a further 3 weeks (giving 4 weeks notice total) and then the commission agreement was in addition to this. On March 2nd the Dealer Principal decided that I had to work the full notice period as they were paying me for it. The confusion centred around a car I had on an employee benefit scheme, they emailed to get it back by March 2nd and I said I was still an employee until March 23rd so thats when they could have it back.

Comment

So it sounds like everything has been resolved. That's good news.
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hopefully. Will they deduct tax and NI from it or will I have to sort that myself?

Comment

They should make the necessary tax and NI deductions.

Comment

But they have already issued a P45 so that is now incorrect and the new employer is working with incorrect figures.. Make sure that all the documentation is kept for the end of the tax year.

Comment

Company payrolls are currently run on a Real Time Information (RTI) basis whereby as soon as a company runs a payroll the information is automatically sent to HMRC. They will pick up the additional commission/bonus payments being made and if there is a consequential effect on your tax code/payments based on the information your new employed had from your P45, HMRC will notify your new employer and you and any changes will be effective from your new company's next payroll run. This will minimise any consequential overpayment/underpayment for you.

A benefit of RTI is that situations like these can be picked up relatively quickly with any adjustments being made at the time rather than it being picked up at the end of a tax year where incorrect information may have been applied throughout the tax year.

Comment

Thanks ULA looks like there's been some changes made since the last time I had to do a payroll.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X