• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Do I have a defence or should I just resign

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a defence or should I just resign

Hi there will try and keep this short and hopefully will make sense to someone.

I work for a large uk Audio visual company as an engineer,

2 months ago I was caught breaching health and safety namely working at heights.

Basically My drill packed in on said job I requested a new one which unknown to me one of the mangers was on his way, I did what I could do without a drill I left my ladders against the customers wall and headed to another job round the corner hoping I wouldn't need a drill luckily I didn't need one for that job.

Meanwhile the tm turned up on site at the other job seen my ladders Wernt strapped to the wall then drove and hid down the road in wait for me. I returned to the job unaware my manager was there watching me, I say in my van waiting for an engineer to turn up with a drill baring in mind the reason for the tm to come on site was to provide me a drill but instead he hid!

15 minutes later the engineer turned up with drill I then went ahead and started the installation 10 seconds into drilling up my ladders the tm pulled up whilst leaning over the passenger seat to photograph me.

If my version of events can be proven does that make him liable for knowing I was going to breach? I know that doesn't excuse me but I have been suffering with depression for some time.

Could anyone advise please
    Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

According to your post this incident happened 2 months ago what if anything has the company done in the meantime in terms of taking any action against you?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi sorry I should have said in the post,

Straight after the incident happened the manager suggested we go to a hotel and commence with an investigation, at the time I was going through various issues with family ect which I believed contributed to me being wreck less with my own safety, I then decided to go straight on the sick as my mind was elsewhere so the investigation hasn't yet happened I'm now signed off and able to attend the investigation which is being planned for next week.

If if a manager sees a set of ladders propt against a unsecured does he have a duty of care to lay them down ect and put them in a safe place?

Comment

Thank you for the update. So you have been signed off sick since the incident however you seem to indicate you will be able to attend the investigation as planned next week. Did the company know that you have been suffering depression for a time before the incident happened and that you have been dealing with family issues that may have meant your concentration may not have been 100% focused on your job?

From what you have said you admit that you have breached the health and safety regulations the company have set out by not securing the ladders. Also by not securing the ladders at the start of the job you had already breached these rules before your manager turned up on site.

I would suggest that in the investigative meeting you either refer to the previously notified depression and family issues you have been dealing with and suggest that as a result you may not have been concentrating as fully as you should have been on health on safety issues or inform the company, if they were not aware of these issues. Explain that you believe that these may have been a contributory factor to you overlooking the health and safety requirements of the job in this instance.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X