• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Is travel to training course classed as working hours?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is travel to training course classed as working hours?

My new job is 10 minutes away from home. I have been sent on a weeks training which is an hour away from home. The company will pay my mileage to and from the training course but what about the extra 50 minutes each way; is that on the works clock or not?
    Tags: None

Should be, as you're driving from home to work, then work to course in essence ( as they're paying you the mileage it'll be classed as working time) - if that matters though will depend on the kind of job / pay etc - if you're salaried it wouldn't make any odds, so are you hourly paid ? have you opted out of working time directive ? Were you informed about the training ( and location of) before accepting the new job ?

Ula
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Does you company have a travel or training policy that may cover this situation? If so refer to that in the first instance.

What are your normal working hours and what time is the course running to and from? If the course time is less than your normal working day then the time taken to travel from your place of work (not home) to the training venue is counted towards your working hours. It would only be if the course timings plus total travel is in excess of your normal working day that you could speak to your manager/HR. However, the extend to which you will be entitled to overtime (or time off n lieu) will depend on your contract terms.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I was taken on as store assistant, paid by the hour, and work any shifts during store opening times. Hours per day can vary from 4 to 15 depending on needs for the day.

Now im moving into the warehouse, again paid by the hour with various hours during day from 5 hours upwards. I now have to get training and certificates in all sorts of warehouse things. None of the training is at my store. Training runs from 9am - 5pm plus 2 hours travel per day on top. I only became aware of the training when i was asked to move to the warehouse, i agreed to the move.

Cant see any travel or training policy that cover this

Comment

If you are paid by the hour then you should be paid 9am - 5pm and then for the travel time from your place of work to the training venue.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I think you have to weigh up the possible extra £15 a day for a week over long term job security ( I know that's how they get away with this kind of thing but. I have no idea what your employer is like ) The mileage is being paid so they recognise its out of your way - maybe an ask to test the water ? Or if you are hourly paid on time sheets then you could just put it on from time you'd arrive at the store before travelling to training venue to time you'd get back to the store from training venue and see what they say after ?
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

There is no job security so I'll take the money when I can. On the low wage they pay I cant afford to let £15 a day just go. Dont think I'll be there much longer because they havent even bothered to get me a waterproof jacket but had me unloading a waggon yesterday in the pouring rain and just a company tshirt. Took hours to dry out cause theres no heating in the warehouse.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X