• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.

Hello all - Equal Pay - backdated?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hello all - Equal Pay - backdated?

    Just joined the forum. I am a silver surfer with little or no experience of this type of site. Looking forward to getting help with an employment pay issu.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Another employee is paid more than me for the same job. Company have agreed to increase my salary to an equal sum. They will pay me back pay to the date I asked for parity. Can I expect to get back pay from the date the difference began?


    • #3
      Tagging Ula mariefab for help - although to me it would seem fair that it would be backdated back to when the discrepancy arose, rather than when you happened to find out about it.

      This is based on sex related unequal pay cases; I don't know if that is the case in your case ?
      If you succeed in your claim for equal pay, then you may be
      entitled to backdated pay and interest for up to six years
      from the date you lodged your claim, provided you can show
      that you were doing equal work for that period. As a result,
      equal pay claims can be of significant value. Equal pay claims
      are probably the most complex of all employment claims so
      it is very important to take advice as early as possible.
      Common Sense .... if in doubt, use it !

      If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page.

      “We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.” Hetty Bower

      Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

      Find Solicitors offering fixed fees on our sister site - JustBeagle.com


      • #4
        Thank you. I will need to get legal advice I think.


        • #5
          If this was being determined by an Employment Tribunal then back-pay for the difference between what you received and what the comparator person received is a maximum period of 6 years, plus there is a provision for interest on the back-pay.
          I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

          You canít always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

          You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.




          Employment Law

          Acas provides free and impartial information and advice to employers and employees on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law.
          Contact ACAS

          Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.
          Find a Law Firm
          See more
          See less

          upgrade to vip

          Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

          only £15/yr

          Offers available. No subscription traps.

          sign up now

          Resolver is a free automated complaints system that can help with all kinds of consumer complaints - including missold PPI and Package Bank Accounts.

          make a complaint

          Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

          Find a Law Firm