• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Paye/self assesment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paye/self assesment

Hi All.Can anybody tell me if its possible to be Paye & Self Assesment at the same time.Got an issue with HMRC but wont go too much into it just yet.Thanks
    Tags: None

If you've got 2 jobs, then I don't see why not.

Comment

Hi.Thanks for your reply.I dont have two jobs and never have done.I am an HGV driver and as I was led to believe that I could claim for work related expenses inc overnight subsistance money through PAYE by someone who ended up acting as my agent.The agent submitted my claims last year and i received a payment from HMRC.Now HMRC have said my claim was excessive and was made under self assesment and are demanding the money back.Paying the money back isnt the issue really but how why should I be made to look like the criminal when really as far as I am concerned this problem wasnt caused by me initially.I

Comment

Yes, My other half is PAYE and because previously he was registered as self-employed still had to do self-assessment. Plus people who are PAYE and do have things like savings, investments, additional claims for various tax reliefs will be self assessment. You'll need to talk with HMRC about removing you from self assessment or you will have to do it every year or end up with fines ( we took ages to sort out other halfs as he'd assumed as he was PAYE now he didn't have to do his Self Assessment and somehow built up nearly £1k worth of fines ! - managed to get it removed eventually )

Who was this agent ? ( a friend or a company / accountant ?)

Did this agent encourage you to claim a larger amount than you would have done/should have done otherwise ?
        Do you have a copy of the claim he put in ?
        Have HMRC said how much or what you have overclaimed?
        Does your employer pay overnight anyway ?

Info on what was claimable against tax here -> https://www.cipp.org.uk/news-publica...y-drivers.html
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Thanks for your reply to my query.I have been eventually removed from self assessment but at a price.As far as HMRCÂ* are concerned I owe them nearly £2000.This figure is made up of how much I was paid and also....fines for late payment and also the interest that was added on from the date that HMRC decided that the payment was "excessive" although I dont believe it was excessive as I was claiming for the last four years 2011/2015.The "agent" was a company based in Lancashire who as far as I and many other drivers were concerned was making the claim on our behalf on a legitimate basis.He obviously took his "cut" from the payout before sending me the remainder.The company in question has since "went to ground" and cant be traced by HMRC.As for the copy of the claim he put in on my behalf I have looked at it but I cant make head nor tail of it.I have went through the HMRC compalints procedure and up til now all appeals have failed funnily enough.I have lodged an appeal to the tax tribunal but again this is only standard procedure on their behalf and I know what the outcome is going to be.I have actually received a letter from the solicitor acting for HMRCÂ* asking me for proof of all expenses that I claimed for.He goes on to warn me in the letter that should I not be able to provide ant documentary evidence to back my claims up my appeal will probably fail.So my fate is sealed before the tribunal goes ahead.How did you manage to get your fines removed as any info would be very welcome.Thanks Jim

Comment

As his fines were for just not submitting SA returns he basically rang them and told them he had no idea that he was meant to be SA and sounded exceedingly confused and a bit thick, not sure how much he was putting on but it was embarassing lol.

When you engaged this fly by night operator to file your tax returns did you provide him with any evidence of expenses etc incurred on overnights, timesheets/tacho's, payslips etc showing when you were on overnight stays etc ? Or did he just make it up and stick a claim in for the maximum ?

Did you get paid expenses for overnights by your employer ? ( the claim, so far as I know, would have been for tax relief on the overnight expenses element of your pay )

is this the form he'd completed ? https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc...7_en_1.2.3.xdp ?
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

As I understand this scenario, if your employer pays you a premium for overnight stay outs for digs or food or both above your basic wage, then you can't claim separately for them, if however your employer only pays you a set wage and you end up having to stay out then you can claim, what your employer pays you is seen as a wage. There is also a set amount that you can claim for sustinence and this is subject to distance away from home.Â*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X