• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • Please note that LegalBeagles is a public forum and the main areas are accessible to all, and as such, please take care your username or posts do not identify you. There is no need to post claim numbers, names or precise amounts to get support with your case. When uploading documents please ensure that you have properly redacted your personal details. Thank you.

Tax Benefits for Higher Education

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Benefits for Higher Education

Hi,

I'm having some confusion about how these would apply to the 2017 tax return, assuming income level requirements are met. Our kids have already used up the American Opportunity Tax Credit and are now in graduate school. I am reading now about the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit (apparently the Tuition and Fees Tax Deduction is no longer available although some websites still list it). My questions would apply to their returns as they are no longer dependents.
    The situation is that they are probably nearing the end of their educations and the strategy has been to empty out their 529 plans as any withdrawal for non-qualified expenses would involve paying taxes plus a penalty. As a result, we haven't looked closely at the available tax credits since I assume that one cannot take a qualified withdrawal from the 529 and also use the same educational expense for a tax credit, but I'm taking a second look at this.
    1. Can someone claim the Lifetime Learning credit in addition to having claimed the American Opportunity credit in previous years?
    2. Looking at the numbers, for $10000 in expenses you can get a $2000 Lifetime Learning credit. If you take the credit instead of doing a 529 withdrawal, then eventually if you take the $10000 out of the 529 for non-qualified expenses it's likely that the tax plus penalty would cost more than the $2000 credit you would get. Am I missing something here? For those of you in similar situations, what was your strategy?

Any help will be apprecited.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:
    https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242324
    Video marketing service

Thank you.

Tags: None

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

upgrade to vip

Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

only £15/yr

Offers available. No subscription traps.

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X