• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell's Solicitors, Letter Of Claim, 3 mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell's Solicitors, Letter Of Claim, 3 mobile

Hello there.

I used to be an active member of penalty charges forum many years ago and cropped on here occasionally as part of my involvement. There was a lot of bank charges being refunded back then and once I learnt how to claim I helped others do the same. Had a look on there recently and it appears not many people post on there anymore.

It has been a few years tho and I have recently received this letter from Lowell's Solicitor. Now I am fully aware of Lowell's tactics and sugar coating and have beaten them, welcome finance and moorcroft before but It seems legislation has changed so I m unsure what exactly I need to do now.

The letter clearly states "Letter Of Claim -30 days to prevent Legal Action" It is not the previously used Letter Before Action and no particulars of claim has been issued through the CCBC as of yet. The letter is dated 25/06/2018 and states "We act for Lowell Portfolio1 and we are instructed to recover your debt of £617.91"

In the background to the debt, on 26/03/2013 I entered into an agreement with 3 mobile to provide me with a 3 Mobile account. I failed to make payment in accordance with the terms and conditions of the agreement and it was terminated and assigned to the client (Lowell Portfolio1) on 21/08/2014. Notice of assignment was given to me and I may request a copy.

I cannot recall having such an account or why or how it has such a high balance. So, naturally I want to tick box D dispute the debt and box I request information. Statute barred is not yet an option unfortunately as it as been on!y 5 years according to the letter. There is nothing relating to this account appearing on any of my credit reference files.

In previous cases I would have sent a letter requesting all documentation they hold under CPR fairness rules which required a copy of all documentation held. This included the documents listed in box I and I would like to incluse that letter in with these response sheets but having searched my current active hard drive and the forums I cannot seem to locate the letter that specifically requested all of those documents, so has that letter been dropped in favour of a new angle to take or is ticking Box I and cracking it in the post sufficient these days?

Being such a high balance I am guessing a device was included in the contract should I also send the CCA or could I incorporate that into a CPR request?

A previous tactic that worked was wait until the POC was issued then hit them with the CPR request and watch them squirm as they realise they dont have the paperwork and drop the case. Not sure if they still fall for that one anymore, but I have found the CPR letter to send after the POC has been issued here but I'm after the one to send before any court claim is issued which is worded completely differently. Meanwhile I'll try my legacy hard drive (the one ripped out of the old laptop!)

Thanks for any tips in advance and if you need further info please don't hesitate to ask
    Tags: None

Hello Dispydave

First things first, we need to see the letter from Lowell even though it is probably a standard template letter, it is helpful to see what we are working with. Post up the letter with personal information redacted and we can go from there.

You are indeed correct that the legislation and rules have changed somewhat since the bank charges era and in particular, debts sought by a business against an individual are now subject to the Pre-Action Protocols for Debt Claims - this came into force in October 2017 so it is relatively new and is aimed and ensuring creditors supply as much information as possible prior to issuing a claim (whereas previously they used to frequently issue a claim and supply documentation).

Being such a high balance I am guessing a device was included in the contract should I also send the CCA or could I incorporate that into a CPR request?
    it's likely to be the remaining monthly instalments left on the contract when the contract was terminated, any fees or other charges plus interest which they like to calculate at 8% per annum unless otherwise stated in the contract.

The CCA is probably not applicable unless it was a hire-purchase type contract and I don't recall Three ever offering consumer credit agreements so doing that is not likely to serve any purpose. Under the Debt PAP you have the right to request further documentation so there is really no need to send a request under CPR 31.14 at this point in time.

In addition to the above, I don't think the CPR request following the issue of the claim is not (in my view) a tactic and if Lowell were smart enough would have pointed to the Debt PAP saying you were afforded the opportunity to request documents at that stage but nonetheless they are pressing ahead with the claim, subject to any defence you might put in.

As for the notice of assignment, did you actually receive this or are they claiming in the letter that this was sent to you? If tactics were being played then you would want to plead your ignorance on that point and get Lowell to prove that it was (correctly) assigned to you. In the meantime you could also make a subject access request to Three under GDPR as these requests are now free of charge but you might want to get that in as soon as possible.

I have a template response to the Debt PAP letters such as these which might assist you in these circumstances and there is also a GDPR subject access request (long and short form) if you also wish to have a look for inspiration. You can find the templates on the link below, templates 3a, 3b and 4b.

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...t-of-templates

Also going to tag jaguarsuk Amethyst for further input
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Damn, just spotted timeframes are limited now I have had chance to sit in front of my computer and look at this properly! The pitfalls of marriage separation Doc's are ready for uploading. Just figuring out how to upload we speak. We cannot recall the account let alone receivng any assignment documents. We have a theory tho. An account disputed a number of years ago as the phone was faulty and was sent back within the 30 days and the contract was terminated. Nothing further was received or mentioned. However we believe that dispute was older than the dates of this alleged debted account

Comment

Think the wi fi on this train I'm on is blocking part of the site and the upload buttons aren't showing

Comment

Finally managed to get them uploaded.

Comment

since the original post we have moved address and Lowell reposted the original LBA at the new address with a new time limit. So, this is what I have come up with, merging your CPR letter on here with that formerly used by Penalty Charges Forum. It still needs a little tidying up before I finish but this is what I am looking at sending.

Thoughts please?

Originally posted by Dipsydave
            I am writing to acknowledge receipt of your letter before action dated 10th August 2018 and

setting out your client’s allegations made in connection with Three Mobile and more specifically, your client’s suggestion that I am liable for the balance owed of £617.91. In accordance with the Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims (the “Protocol”), I have enclosed the completed Reply Form.

You will note from the enclosed Reply Form that I deny any liability in relation to your

client’s allegations. I wish to make it clear beyond any reasonable doubt that I DO NOT RECOGNIZE ANY DEBT TO LOWELL FINANCIAL, LOWELL PORTFOLIO 1 OR THREE MOBILE

Without prejudice to the above denial, you have supplied me with no documentation or information relating to your client’s claim. I therefore require further information from your client (as per below) and without such, I am not in a position to provide a full response to the allegations made against me within the time limits set out in the Protocol.

Given that this matter is now subject to potential legal proceedings which you are threatening to initiate, you are obliged to provide (under the Civil Procedures Rules) information to ensure that all parties are on an equal footing, and also to ensure that the claim is dealt with expediently and fairly, avoiding an unnecessary burden to the court's resources.

Under the Pre-action Practice Directions - Protocols 4.6 of the Civil Procedures Rules - I request that you supply copies of the following documents:
            1. Confirmation whether the account has been sold on as an equitable assignment or an absolute assignment, along with a copy of the deeds, proof of the purchase and the amount paid. Please note, denying said documentation under the basis of commercial sensitivity will not be accepted in this case.
            2. A true copy of the executed credit agreement and any terms and conditions that applied to the account at the time of default and at the time the account was opened. Please note that a "true copy" as defined by the Consumer Credit Act will not be acceptable in this case, and a copy of the actual executed agreement, including signature, is required.
            3. All records you hold on me relevant to this case, including but not limited to, the following:-

1. A transcript of all transactions, including charges, fees, interest, payments and both the amounts of credit and any repayments made to the account.

2. Transcriptions of all telephone conversations recorded and any notes made in relation to telephone conversations

3. Where there has been any event in the account history that has required manual intervention by any person, disclosure of any indication or notes that have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to the account held by me with Welcome Finance or Cabot Financial is required.

4. True copies of any notice of assignment and/or default notice or enforcement notice sent to me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

5. Documents relating to any insurance added to the account such as payment protection or shortfall extra policies, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date it was added and deleted (if applicable).

6. Details of any collection charge added to the account; specifically, the date it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was calculated, and what the charge covers.

7. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

8. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998.

9. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

10. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the credit agreement, from inception up to the present date

Until your client has complied with my request for further information, I would therefore

suggest that any action your client is considering be deferred. Upon receipt of the said

information, I anticipate that a full response will be provided within 30 days (I refer you

to the Protocol under the heading What happens if I fill in and return the Reply Form in

time? at page 9 which explicitly states creditors should allow a further 30 days before

commencing legal proceedings). Please therefore confirm that your client will not to

take any further action until it has provided the necessary information and/or

documentation and until you are in receipt of my full response.

If, however, your client pursues its claim notwithstanding its failure to supply the further

information as requested, I reserve the right to draw this letter to the attention of the court and seek an adverse costs order as a result of non-compliance with the Protocol

as well as any other order the court deems appropriate.

Finally, I would like to add that pursuant to paragraph 3.3 of the Protocol, I request that all future correspondence be sent to the following address:
            please ignore the spacing, the result of copying and pasting from 3 different word processor programs!

Comment

Looks fine generally but I would make the following observations:

... your client (as per below) and without such information, I am not in a position to provide ...
              Amendment in red above.

Under the Pre-action Practice Directions - Protocols 4.6 of the Civil Procedures Rules - I request that you supply copies of the following documents:
              You should not confuse the PAP for Debt Claims with the PDPAC because the letter before action is only governed by one or the other, not both. For debt claims involving a business (creditor) and an individual (debtor) the PAP for Debt Claims applies, not the PDPAC so the above statement needs to be removed. The PAP for Debt Claims is already defined in the letter as "the Protocol", and I think the wording I put in my template is sufficient for this but as its your claim, it is entirely up to you how you wish to word the letter.
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

thanks for spotting that. I knew it needed tidying up but I would have missed that detail

Comment

So, to get back to speed. Lowells sent the Letter of Claim to old address 1, having received no response they then sent another Letter of Claim to Old Address 2, This one we responded to with the above reply lletter sent recorded delivery and was received and signed for on Saturday 15th September.

Lowell filed for court on Monday 17 september. We filed for acknowledgement and intend to defend on 3rd October. We have since moved to a new property and this address was given within the court acknowledgement - This is crucial to note

They sent a letter in response to ours stating that the address they filed against was the one they had on record - as they had two addresses it is clear they filed on receipt of the letter - and stated that this was a contract of service, not a credit account, and no agreement signature was required, however they are seeking to obtain the documentation from the original creditor.

Moving house has obviously had a significant impact on the lead times here and I wish to file a defence that the particulars of claim are vague and defendant cannot offer a defence without the appropriate information, unfortunately the original POC has been lost in the move and I cannot access them online although I can file the defence.

so, what do I actually need to put in the defence?

Comment

So as well as asking for info from the letter before claim, you have asked Lowell for documents under the CCA ( which would be refused as a phone contract ) and under CPR 31.14 ? ( agreement, termination/default and notice of assignment) and they've provided nothing at all ?

An account disputed a number of years ago as the phone was faulty and was sent back within the 30 days and the contract was terminated.
                    Seems a likely candidate so you can include that in the defence as an 'if this is the account' issue.

I'll grab an example for you ...
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

VERY ROUGH EXAMPLE TO GET YOU STARTED.... ( also, send a SAR directly to Three Mobile )

DEFENCE

1.The Defendant received the claim [Claim Number] from the Northampton County Court Business Centre on [Date you received the claim] ( add in about the issues with address and second service etc)

2.Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3.This claim is for an agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 between Three Mobile and the Defendant.

4: The Claimant has provided very little information with regards their claim or how the amount has arisen.

5: The Claimant has stated that the agreement was entered into on 26th March 2013. The Defendant disputes that he entered into a contract with Three Mobile on or around that date. The Claim is denied.

6: The Claimant has not provided any breakdown or details of how the sum claimed has been calculated or how it may have arisen. The Claimant is put to proof of how the sum claimed has arisen.

7:The Defendant has previously entered into an agreement with Three Mobile with regards a Mobile Phone airtime and data contract and provision of a handset. However the Defendant believes this was in 2011.

8. Due to the handset that arrived being faulty and subsequently being returned to Three Mobile, the agreement detailed in paragraph 7 was Terminated with no outstanding sums due shortly after entering into the agreement.

9. As this was over six years ago the Defendant doesn't retain any records relating to the agreement or cancellation thereof. The Defendant is uncertain whether the claim relates to that agreement without further details being provided.

10.Should the claim be based on the agreement outlined in paragraph 7 above the Defendant contends the alleged debt is statute barred by virtue of Section 5 of the Limitations Act 1980 in that no payment or acknowledgment has been made for over 6 years.

11: The Defendant has sent a Subject Access Request to Three Mobile in order to try and find out further information. He has not yet received a response from Three Mobile.

12. The Defendant has not heard anything from Three Mobile, or any third party regarding any debt owed to Three Mobile, since the termination/cancellation took place in 2011, until receipt of a Letter of Claim was received from the Claimant on xxx July 2018.

13. The Defendant request more information from the Claimant, being xxxxxxxxxxxxxx(what you asked for in the reply to the letter of claim )

14. The Claimant did not provide any information or any copies of documents to evidence or substantiate their claim.

15. Following receipt of the claim xxxxxx the Defendant wrote to the Claimant requesting xxxxxx pursuant to CPR 31.14.

16. The Claimant responded in a letter dated xxxxxxx in which they stated that this was a contract of service, not a credit account, and no agreement signature was required, however they are seeking to obtain the documentation from the original creditor. To date the Defendant has not received any further information or documents from the Claimant.

17.The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from Three Mobile to Lowell on [Date]. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment. The Claimant is put to proof that they have obtained the legal right to bring this claim.

18.It is denied that [Original Creditor] served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.

19.Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

20.It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

that is absolutely spot on! Beautiful!!!

Thank you very much! ;-)

Comment

as an off side however, with Lowells sending duplicate mail to different addresses and filing off the one address that responded without addressing the letter contents, would it be worth going down the vexatious litigants path? Im wondering if because they detect a sniff of me making a defence attempt they are pushing to make a claim in the hope I keel over

Comment

Basically, no. And yes of course they are making a claim hoping you'll be one of the 87% who are scared by sight of a court claim and either panic and ignore the claim or make a payment arrangement. That's the business model.

#staysafestayhome

Comment

Didnt think so, want to keep this simple anyway. I had a similar case around 2 years ago with Welcome Finance. I put a PPI claim in and they registered the account as a default, sold it to cabot who then filed a court case the very same day they signed for a CPR18! Funnily enough once I filed the defence I received the standard "we will be in touch once we have the documentation" dismissal....

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X