• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**DISCONTINUED** County Court Business Centre Letter Received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
    cost what would you hope to claim back on???
    Mainly the time spent on the case, plus 'incidentals'.
    CEL have an abysmal track record of issuing court claims with scant regard for procedure, then discontinuing at the last minute.
    The courts, I believe, are well aware of this

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

• charitynjw here is a VERY rough draft first copy.....what are your thoughts/tweaks/changes/advice to scrap in its entirety? The format may be completely incorrect so very happy to scrap and start again.....

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to you as the defendant in the above case having received a letter of discontinuance from yourselves as requested by Civil Enforcement Limited.

Following the receipt of this letter, and as a litigant in person fighting a speculative claim from a serial commercial pursuant, I would request you consider a request for me to claim unreasonable costs from Civil Enforcement for their unreasonable behaviour throughout this process as per CPR 24.14(2)(g) for the following reasons;
      1. Civil Enforcement Limited deliberately backdated the Particulars Of Claim which were served separate to the claim form pursuant to CPR Rule 7.4 (1)(b).

The Claim form was issued on 2nd October, stating that the detailed Particulars of Claim would be provided to me within 14 days after service of the claim form. The Claim Form was therefore served on 7 October (5 days later, as set out in paragraph 5.7 of Practice Direction 7E which relates solely to MCOL claims). This means that the Particulars of Claim should have been served on or by 23 October (since 21/22 were a Saturday/Sunday). This would mean that they should have been posted by Friday 20 October. The time limits for service are clearly set out in Rules 6.3(b) and 6.20(b), and the requirement to serve separate Particulars within 14 days is contained in Rule 7.4(1)(b).

The further Particulars of Claim and covering letter were delivered by Royal Mail on Tuesday 24 October, however they were dated, and accompanied by a letter dated, 11 October 2017.

I cannot fathom any reason for the Claimant having backdated its further Particulars of Claim, other than to try to gain an advantage by making it appear that I have filed my defence late, or by confusing me into having to rush to file my defence prematurely.

I wrote to Civil Enforcement on several occasions requesting an explanation as to why they did this, but I received nothing back from them.
      1. The particulars of claim that were provided by Civil Enforcement Limited were extremely vague,
      2. On October 6th I wrote to Civil Enforcement Limited to raise concerns that they were corresponding to my old address, and they decided to ignore this request, which showed their blatant disregard for the IPC code of practice for carrying out strict due diligence.

For avoidance of doubt, IPC code of practice (Page 33, final paragraph) clearly states that;

Before issuing court proceedings on any unpaid parking charge which is over 12 months old, the operator must first perform a suitable check of the defendant’s last known address.

As I mentioned in my first paragraph, Civil Enforcement Limited are a commercial claimant pursuing many other claims of this nature and must therefore have deep knowledge of, and understand, the Civil Procedure Rules and these sorts of blatant breaches should not be allowed because they prejudice Litigants in Person who are not versed in court procedures and the court rules. It is with some difficulty that I have understood the various obligations and time limits set out in the Civil Procedure Rules, as a Litigant in Person, whereas the commercial Claimant has no such excuse.

Getting to this point in the process has taken a considerable amount of my time, time that I have now lost due to them discontinuing their baseless case against me when they realised that I was not going to concede to their bully boy tactics.

I have outlined what I believe to be my reasonable costs incurred over the last 4 ½ months which I hope that you will agree they should have to reimburse.

My costs have been calculated as per CPR 46.5 (4) (b) and the relevant Practice Direction.

Research – 10hrs @ £19p/h = £190
      Emails – 5hrs @ £19p/h = £95
      Letters – 5hrs @ £19p/h = £95
      Phone calls – 2hrs @ £19p/h = £38
      Postage – 5 letters @ £0.65p = £3.25

Total costs = £421.25

Comment

• Didn't the discontinuance letter that you received come from CEL?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

• Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
          Didn't the discontinuance letter that you received come from CEL?
          Well there were 2 letters in the same envelope from CEL. 1 was their confirmation of cancellation, and 2 what looks like the official court document which was Notice of discontinuance

I assume the second was a form them printed off from the court website?

Since drafting my initial thread post this morning i have received the following email from the court;

Good afternoon,

Sorry for the delay. This case has now been marked as discontinued by the Claimant following an email received today. I can confirm the hearing 27th April 2018 has been vacated.

Regards,

Comment

• well done it is over

Comment

• Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
              well done it is over
              Hi Mike770,

You are right, if I choose to do so, I can just let them walk away scott free, but I am not happy with how they have behaved during the process. As I understand it, that gives me the right to request my costs back via the court. These costs include the time I took out of my life to research, write and fight their baseless claim every step of the way. Fortunately, on the whole, the folk here have been incredibly helpful and supportive so it made that process much more manageable.

I plan to put my request in to the court and see how it lands.

Comment

• One thing for certain; if you don't ask, you definitely won't get!
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X