• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** STRUCK OUT ** Received 'notice of transfer' shoosmiths. Debt was husband.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well done for you

Comment

So today something arrives by text message.... saying that I need to contact Cabot financial. I telephoned the court to find that it definitely had been struck out and according to shoosmiths solocitors Cabot ‘were unable to file the paperwork in time’ and so are still chasing me for payment of this debt?? Can they do this?? How do I stop them?? I really thought that it would be the end now xx

Comment

Hello

Well done on getting the claim struck out. I would suggest that you retain those documents from Shoosmiths and the Order itself just in case for whatever reason they try their hand again, or even worse, sell it off to another debt purchase who will have a go themselves. It would be wise to make copies and store them separately i.e. scan a copy on your laptop/phone and keep a physical copy just in case you lose it.

Despite the claim being struck out, they could still try to pursue you for the debt or get you to acknowledge that the debt is yours or even as above, sell the debt on to another debt purchaser who will then contact you.

The best way of trying to stop them in their tracks are to write to them and make a formal complaint. Your complaint should follow a logical structure and not be seen to be aggressive (or put any capital words) yet you should take a firm line against what they are doing. Your letter might want to incorporate some or all of the following points:

1. That they should not contact you by any other means of communication except by letter.

2. Cabot Financial are governed by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) Rules and the applicable rules are set out in the CONC Handbook. I've had a quick glance in there and there are two potential points that you can raise in your letter:

(R) CONC 7.5.2
        A firm must not pursue an individual whom the firm knows or believes might not be the borrower or hirer under a credit agreement or a consumer hire agreement.
        (R) CONC 7.5.3
        A firm must not ignore or disregard a customer's claim that a debt has been settled or is disputed and must not continue to make demands for payment without providing clear justification and/or evidence as to why the customer's claim is not valid.
        Both of the above rules effectively make the same point in that you have disputed the debt, provided a reasoned explanation as to why the debt is in your name but on top of that, they issued proceedings and the claim was therefore struck out because they couldn't produce the relevant information as requested by order of the Court. They had ample opportunity to source the information but failed to comply and so they should not continue pursuing you.

I'm not sure as a result of the claim being struck out, it is now statute barred but if it is then you can also rely on the following rule (providing you mention that it is statute barred):

(R) CONC 7.15.8
        A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred.
        You will see that the above rules have (R) next to them. This is because under the CONC Handbook there are two types of rules, "Guidance" and "Rules". Guidance rules are not mandatory nor are they legally binding on the lender as they are guidance on how to comply with the CONC Handbook, whereas lenders such as Cabot must comply with the Rules otherwise they may be subject to sanctions, either by a complaint pursued through the Financial Ombudsman or you have the right to bring a civil claim against them for breach of the Rules.

3. You may also wish to conclude all of the above together by telling Cabot that should they continue to pursue you demanding payment of the supposed debt, despite having tried (and failed) to bring a claim against you, then you will consider that as harassment on their part and you reserve the right to commence legal proceedings for harassment and/or any breaches of the CONC Rules above. You should close off by getting them to confirm in writing that this matter will be closed and no further action to be taken.

If you make it formal complaint then they will need to provide a final response within 8 weeks but should stop contacting you about payments during that time (as I believe the CONC Rules also say they can't pursue a debt if a complaint is made). If you are not satisfied with their response then you can pursue it to the Financial Ombudsman.
        Last edited by R0b; 13th April 2018, 13:30:PM.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
          . It would be wise to make copies and store them separately i.e. scan a copy on your laptop/phone and keep a physical copy just in case you lose it.
          Scan the copies and keep the files in the cloud, things break and new things can retrieve them from the cloud. I double store, a copy on iCloud and a copy on One Drive. I pay for iCloud, but One Drive is free as is google docs.
          COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Hi again
            I am being bombarded with calls and letters from Cabot Financial now despite being thrown out of court! Any advice as to make them go away?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs sparkle View Post
              Hi again
              I am being bombarded with calls and letters from Cabot Financial now despite being thrown out of court! Any advice as to make them go away?
              You should write to them raising the points raised in post #63 regarding the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) Rules.

Refer them to their solicitors letter in post #60 (particularly the last sentence) meaning you now consider the matter closed, inform that they do not have the documentation therefore any alleged debt (make sure you use the term alleged) is unenforceable, that you do not wish to receive any correspondence from them as it causes you distress and anxiety, that pursuant to the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 s1 if they continue their conduct they will be in breach of it and should they continue you may without further reference to them file a claim against them for civil remedy under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 s3 citing Ferguson v British Gas (2009) as well Porter v Price (2004). Explain to them that these are successful cases of Claimants against private companies with the latter relating to a matter of chasing an alleged debt.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

If they are definitely calling regarding the same debt then as Jags says, send them a letter telling them to bog off. This might be a bit extreme but it's a starting point ( might want reducing a little ) Anyone feel free to amend accordingly

Dear Cabot

Ref: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am writing to place you on notice that your company is causing me alarm and distress due to the frequency of the telephone calls and letters which I am receiving in relation to the above alleged debt.

Whenever the telephone rings, I am left feeling anxious and ill at the prospect of speaking again with your company as I have already repeatedly explained that your company has already taken this through the small claims court, which resulted in your claim being struck out. I received a letter on xxxxxxxx from your solicitors, Shoosmiths, stating that it was yourselves who instructed them to allow the claim to be struck out. As the claim was struck out after I had filed my defence you are required to make an application to the court to reinstate the claim, however should such an application be made it shall be strongly defended.

Please be clear that these calls are far beyond a simple irritation or an unwanted interference, they fall clearly within the definition of Harassment.

I have made it clear to your company that I have no liability to you for the alleged debt, and that the court has agreed by striking out the claim. I have asked for these calls to cease however I have been told by your staff that they will continue to telephone me even though I have made it clear that I do not wish to discuss this matter further.

I have received calls from …………………… On the following dates;
                1)
                2)
                3)

I have received letters from......................... on the following dates;

I require these calls to cease with immediate effect; I will not discuss this matter with your company by telephone. I draw your attention to the Court of Appeal ruling in Roberts v Bank of Scotland PLC (Rev1) [2013] EWCA Civ 882 and in particular paragraph 37 & 38 of the Judgment. The court made it clear that the existence of a debt does not allow a creditor to persist in harassing the debtor.

In addition I understand that
                Cabot Financial are governed by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) Rules and that your are obliged to abide by the applicable rules as set out in the CONC Handbook.

Particularly;
                (R) CONC 7.5.2
                A firm must not pursue an individual whom the firm knows or believes might not be the borrower or hirer under a credit agreement or a consumer hire agreement.

(R) CONC 7.5.3
                A firm must not ignore or disregard a customer's claim that a debt has been settled or is disputed and must not continue to make demands for payment without providing clear justification and/or evidence as to why the customer's claim is not valid.

Both of the above rules effectively make the same point in that I have disputed the debt, you have issued proceedings and the claim was struck out because you couldn't produce the relevant information as requested by order of the Court. You have had ample opportunity to source the information but failed to comply and therefore you should not continue pursuing me.

You should also be aware that I consider the debt to be time barred by virtue of the Limitations Act 1980, and therefore CONC 7.15 also applies;
                (R) CONC 7.15.8
                A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred.

Your company
                must comply with the Rules otherwise you may be subject to sanctions, either by a complaint pursued through the Financial Ombudsman or I may have the right to bring a civil claim against you for breach of the Rules.

Should you continue to pursue me in demanding payment of the alleged debt, despite having tried (and failed) to bring a claim against me, I will consider that as harassment on your part and reserve the right to take this complaint to the Financial Ombudsman and consider commencing legal proceedings for harassment and/or any breaches of the CONC Rules above.

I require you to confirm, in writing, that these calls will cease with immediate effect. Relevant numbers to remove from your system are listed below:

01234 567891

I trust you will treat this as a matter of extreme urgency.

Yours sincerely
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  If they are definitely calling regarding the same debt
                  Not just calling even if they are writing, Porter v Price (2004) established emailing about it constituted harassment.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X