• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**DISCONTINUED**- Hoist Portfolio Holdings 2 Ltd/Howard Cohen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **DISCONTINUED**- Hoist Portfolio Holdings 2 Ltd/Howard Cohen

Evening All

I was hoping you can help advice a very good friend of mine on the next steps please. I believe I have gone as far as I can and now require inputt from your good selves. In a nutshell a claim form was received from Hoist Portfolio Holdings 2 Ltd via Howard Cohen and Co on 1 March 2016. On receipt I advised my friend to send a request under Section 77-79 CCA with a £1 postal order to HPH2. The claim relates to an old Barclaycard for less £5k but once interest hasbeen added Claimant is lookingfor £5,643.30.

On 17th March a reponse was received from Robinson Way acknowleging requesting and advised that the account is now with the client's solicitor who have issued a County Court claim and all documents will be requested as part of the process and returned the £1 fee. We immediately wrote back to them reminding them of their obligations under CCA and at the same time made a fresh request to their Solicitors.

As time went on with no response from both sides we filed our defense denying the claim and ask them to prove the debt with evidence of agreement etc.

1st April acknowledgement of defece was received from the Courts and stated where the claimant wishes to proceed
    after receiving a copy of defence they must contact the court within 28 days after that period has elaspsed the claimwill be stayed and the only action the claimantcan take will be to apply to a judge for an order lifting the stay.

Nothing more was heard of this albeit having to complete the required directions questionnaire which was duly completed.

On 29th June out of the blue a general form of judgement or order was received from the court asking the claimant to file and serve fully particularised POC which attached copies of all documents they rely on in support of their claim and a statement of account showing when the alleged debt was accrued and when last payment was made. In default claim to stand struck out without further notice. This had to be done by 4pm 22nd July.

A day before the deadline Howard Cohen complied with the order and my friend received an amended POC. The information in the POC totally wrong and their key defense was quoting "Carey v HSBC" and stating they have complied with s78 by providing a reconstituted versionof the executed agreement. However, this is far from the truth as the version provided is ineligible and states my friends current address rather the old address which has been written typed onto the first page. Furthermore the said reconstruted agreement does not show the credit limit, the number of frequency of repayments and interest rates. The date f when the card was taken out was wrong etc.

Following receipt of the claimants amended claim I then proceeded to ring the court to find out what was going on as I belive the case was stayed and when was this lifted.

I followed this up with an email stating "Dear Sir/Madam

Following on from my telephone call this morning, I am writing to put my concerns on record in relation to the above case.

My understanding was that this case was stayed following a letter from HM Courts & Tribunals Service to the Claimant dated 1st April 2016.

Can you please confirm when the Claimant made an application to the District Judge for an order lifting the stay and why was I not aware of this.

Secondly, an order was made before Deputy District Judge Duncan on the 29th June requesting the claimant to file and serve fully particularised particulars of claim by the 22nd July. The Claimant had failed to follow the directive issued by the Deputy District Judge Duncan. The Claimant has not provided any concrete evidence as required merely the Claimant had used this opportunity to amend it's initial claim.

Finally, can I also point out at this stage that Claimant is yet to comply with sections 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act. This information was requested in writing and sent to Claimant on 8th March 2016.

I am now calling on the Deputy District Judge to strike out the claimant's claim.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course."

On 3rd AUGUST further direction order was received rom the court lsting the case for hearing on 16th Sept the claimant should pay the fee by the 5th August and other directions including when witness statements should be submitted etc.

I rang the Court to find out what happened to my email of the 2nd and they confirmed that it was with the judge and the initial dirction and earing had been set before receipt of my email.

Now my question is firstly, has the correct procedures been followed by the court here. Secondly, do we have a right to put in an amended defence in light of the claimants amended POC.

Any help comments will be much appreciated as we are running out of time pronto.

Kind Regards

NMNP
    Tags: None

Re: What to do next - Hoist Portfolio Holdings 2 Ltd/Howard Cohen

Hi NMNP

Did the claimant pay the fee per the court order?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      Hi NMNP

Did the claimant pay the fee per the court order?
      Hi Charity

The last time I checked they haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomoneynoproblem View Post
        Hi Charity

The last time I checked they haven't.
        In which case phone the court to check the status of the claim.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Ok will do first thing in the morning and feedback.
          Thanks

Comment

Thanks
            Can you please post a copy of the agreement you have received it sounds like an attempt at a reconstituted version which must comply within certain parameters to be compliant with a CCA request.

If you have a problem doing the I'm sure [MENTION=49370]Kati[/MENTION] will help you.

nem

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks
            Can you please post a copy of the agreement you have received it sounds like an attempt at a reconstituted version which must comply within certain parameters to be compliant with a CCA request.

If you have a problem doing the I'm sure [MENTION=49370]Kati[/MENTION] will help you.

nem

Comment

Dear Nem

Please see attached as requested.

Comment

Final one
                Attached Files

Comment

Page 1 - was showing my friends name with the wrong initial with his old address written on.

Page 2 - showing date of inception as 9/1998, amended poc states 9/8/2006. Credit file shows 5/9/97.

Page 3 - has my friends current address

Page 5 - refers to 28/9/12

page 6 refers to 17/10/12

I actually don't think this complies with HSBC v Carey. I await other opinions though.

Comment

Quick update I rang the COurt this morning and was informed that the Claimant paid the court fee on the 8th even though it was due on the 5th and secondly the Judge is still considering my email dated 2nd August.

Where should we be heading with this please....?.

Comment

Good morning.,

I think you will have to wait for the judge to respond to the e-mail.

Can you post legible copies of the documents received it will make it easier for us to assess if they meet the requirements of a " reconstituted" agreement.

Two Full sets of T's & C's needed one as at inception and one at closure of the account. Inception copy must have your name and address as it was at that time.

nem

nem
                      Last edited by nemesis45; 13th August 2016, 08:51:AM.

Comment

Are the T&Cs as intelligible in 'real life' as the posted copies?
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                          Are the T&Cs as intelligible in 'real life' as the posted copies?
                          Not complaint if they are as bad as it seems. Not enough T's & C's either imo.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                            Not complaint if they are as bad as it seems. Not enough T's & C's either imo.

nem
                            Good Afternoon Nem

That's how bad the T&C's are. Reposting them won't make any difference in terms of legibility.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X