• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**DISCONTINUED!!** statue barred debt from 2005 taken to court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: statue barred debt from 2005 taken to court by howard cohen and co(debt collectio

Originally posted by nescla View Post
    Update

I just received a letter noted Notice of allocation to the Small Claims Track(Hearing)

IT IS ORDERED THAT the Claimant shall file and serve a Reply to the defence by 4pm on 7 September 2016.
    AND
    District Judge ......has considered the statements of case and questionnaires filed and allocated the claim to the small claims track.

So I guess I should wait until 7 September.
    During this time do I need to do anything?
    Also claimant needs to pay £335 by 7 September, How can I find out if it has been paid or not?

Thanks
    You can phone the court after 07/09 to check if the fee has been paid.

nem

- - - Updated - - -

Update

I just received a letter noted Notice of allocation to the Small Claims Track(Hearing)

IT IS ORDERED THAT the Claimant shall file and serve a Reply to the defence by 4pm on 7 September 2016.
    AND
    District Judge ......has considered the statements of case and questionnaires filed and allocated the claim to the small claims track.

So I guess I should wait until 7 September.
    During this time do I need to do anything?
    Also claimant needs to pay £335 by 7 September, How can I find out if it has been paid or not?

Thanks
    You can phone the court after 07/09 to check if the fee has been paid.

nem

Comment

Re: statue barred debt from 2005 taken to court by howard cohen and co(debt collectio

Just called the court and it has not been paid yet.
      She says she cant see it yet and wanted me to call back tomorrow.

I haven't received the file from claimant either.

What now?

I am hoping it is a good thing that they haven't paid it yet.

I just want to say again and again I cant thank you enough for all your replies and assurances

Comment

another update.
        I have received a letter from Howard Cohen on 10th September.

"Following the issue of the Claim against you,our client has instructed us to discontinue the Claim with the Court.
        Please therefore find enclosed by way of service upon you a Notice of Discontinuance.We will also be notifying the court that the Claim has been discontinued accordingly.
        Please be advised that this dos not mean you are no longer liable for this and should our client decide to take legal action against you in the future, you will receive prior notification in writing."

Does that mean they can take me to court whenever they like? How can I stop this? I just would like to put all of this behind.

Comment

Another update.

Received court papers saying that there will be hearing on 2nd November.
          Fee hasnt been paid yet and court said they will chase the payment.
          For now I will wait until another letter

Comment

Hi nescla

I would phone the court to see if they have received notification of the discontinuance, & if necessary email them a copy of the letter. (Post #48)
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

shows how bad administration is in this country - clerical gone to the dogs! by scribes!

Comment

Hi.

just an update.

Court confirmed that they have received an email from the Claimants solicitors discontinuing the claim and the hearing has been cancelled and gone to filing.

Do I need to do anything to prevent them opening another case in the future against me?

Thanks all your help again and again.
                Without you I wouldnt be able to do anything.

Comment

I have received a letter from Howard Cohen on 10th September.

". . . our client has instructed us to discontinue the Claim with the Court.

. . . Please be advised that this dos not mean you are no longer liable for this and should our client decide to take legal action against you in the future, you will receive prior notification in writing."

Does that mean they can take me to court whenever they like? How can I stop this? I just would like to put all of this behind.
                  That last statement in their letter is a little churlish.

The solicitor will know that since they Discontinued after you had filed your Defence they cannot bring a new claim (reissue) based on the same or substantially the same facts without seeking permission of the court which they're unlikely to get.

Perhaps this was a case of bad sportsmanship

Di

Comment

Hi.

just an update.

Court confirmed that they have received an email from the Claimants solicitors discontinuing the claim and the hearing has been cancelled and gone to filing.

Do I need to do anything to prevent them opening another case in the future against me?

Thanks all your help again and again.
                    Without you I wouldnt be able to do anything.
                    Well done nescla that's a good result!

No need to do anything but keep all the documents on the case somewhere safe, then in the unlikely event someone else tries it on you are pre armed.

Have a good weekend.

nem

Comment

Re: **DISCONTINUED!!** statue barred debt from 2005 taken to court

Glad to hear the case is discontinued!

But, I just don't get it how law operates in this country...
                      How is it possible that statue barred debt been even taken as far as to almost court hearing?
                      And subsequently, how is it even possible to re-issue discontinued claim in the future (assuming new evidence would have to be somehow found, but then essentially same case against same person is somehow I disagree with).
                      Oh, please can England adopt at least Scottish model finally (5 years and then debt is extinguished)? In Europe it is usually 3 years so it shows how we are "punished" more severely. Those years of effective punishment really affect peoples' lives...
                      I know it first hand...

Comment

Re: **DISCONTINUED!!** statue barred debt from 2005 taken to court

Originally posted by monoko View Post
                        Glad to hear the case is discontinued!

But, I just don't get it how law operates in this country...
                        How is it possible that statue barred debt been even taken as far as to almost court hearing?
                        And subsequently, how is it even possible to re-issue discontinued claim in the future (assuming new evidence would have to be somehow found, but then essentially same case against same person is somehow I disagree with).
                        Oh, please can England adopt at least Scottish model finally (5 years and then debt is extinguished)? In Europe it is usually 3 years so it shows how we are "punished" more severely. Those years of effective punishment really affect peoples' lives...
                        I know it first hand...
                        It would be ideal but when this was proposed some years ago the then chair of the Credit Services Association ( a solicitor working or a debt purchaser) stated ( threatened that the count courts will be inundated with claims within weeks and they would cause chaos in the court if the Limitation Act 1980 was changed.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X