• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DISCONTINUED !!!!! Lowell/Bryan Carter Solicitors Court Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DISCONTINUED !!!!! Lowell/Bryan Carter Solicitors Court Claim

Hi

I received a court claim on behalf Lowell from Bryan Carter Solicitors dated 29th August 2014 for around £4k for Co-Op bank that i didn't keep up payments on and then it was assigned to Lowell in Dec 2006 (already this says to me that it is over the statute barred date limit even if the debt is legit)

The court claim was also filed at my old address and only by luck (i guess you call it that) did i manage to get it forwarded onto me as i would have known nothing about it otherwise

I had read some of the threads on here about what to do next so filed the acknowledgment of service on the 2.9.14 & it was received on the 3.9.14

I fired off the CPR 31.14 & CCA request letters straight away recorded delivery to both Bryan Carter & Lowell

I got a letter back off Bryan Carter saying thankyou for my letter etc etc but "Practice Direction 7C point 1.4(3a) eliminates the requirement to attach the documents to the particulars of the claim when issued by the court. We confirm this matter will most properly be allocated to the small claims track as this is a simple contractual matter and Part 31 of the Civil Procedure Rules will therefore not apply. In any event the Notices of Default and Assignment left the control pf the Claimant when they were dispatched to you. It is the original creditors policy to issue agreements at the start of the contract and statements throughout the duration of the agreement and in this regard ask you to refer to your own records (I have no such records)" We confirm that our client is not agreeable to an extension for filing your defence (i didn't ask for one) and then just some other bits and pieces about making sure i respond in time etc etc

I then also receive a letter from Lowell saying "we are in receipt of your request for info on the Civil Procedure Rules. Please note that Fredrickson International are dealing with the Country Court proceedings on our behalf, we have passed on the request to them & they will be contacting you in due course. Any further communication should be made directly with them" blah blah blah

So basically i have an amount of £4k from before 2006 being chased - no idea what is for & as its from 2006 is it not statute barred anyway?- i regularly monitor my credit file online & there are no default notices or outstanding debts for the Co-OP so is my next track to just file my defence with the court reiterating these points?
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell/Bryan Carter Solicitors Court Claim

any feedback would be greatly appreciated?

Comment

So basically they have refused to comply with your CPR request (as they always do at BC) and the CCA request hasn't been fulfilled either. Is that correct?

Are you certain that you haven't paid anything to this account or acknowledged the account for more than 6 years?

Comment

Yes to both questions - they have refused to comply & yes i dont believe anything has been paid or acknowledged about this account in 6 years

Comment

I filed a defence, both stating that i think it is statute barred & also defending that i do not know what it is for and also that Bryan Carter & Lowell have refused to send me anything to back up the claim

I have now received a Small Claims Track defence questionnaire which i am in the process of filling out & agreeing to - i assume this is correct?

Comment

Originally posted by cmercer80 View Post
            I filed a defence, both stating that i think it is statute barred & also defending that i do not know what it is for and also that Bryan Carter & Lowell have refused to send me anything to back up the claim

I have now received a Small Claims Track defence questionnaire which i am in the process of filling out & agreeing to - i assume this is correct?
            Yes, if the debt is under £10k it would be allocated to small claims. That means they have decided to proceed with the claim despite it being SBd. :ohwell:

Comment

Why would that be do you think and am i still able to carry on with the defence of it being statute barred through this small claims track?

Comment

They'll probably carry on until about 7 days before the hearing. Unless they come up with the agreement and evidence of more recent payments before hand.

Did you include a bit about the CCA request not being complied with in your defence?

If you ahve bank statements covering the past six years that would be useful.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi

Yes i entered statute barred & all the info about the CCA not being complied with in my defence, i basically just used 2 of the templates i had seen on this site and put them together and just changed it for my details

I have online banking so would be able to get at any bank statements i needed

DO i need to send a copy of the Small claims track form to Bryan Carter & Lowell or just the court?

Comment

The N180 ? Send a copy to the court and the claimant.
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Yes that form - i have sent a copy of it to the court last week - is the claimant Lowell? - should i send it recorded?

Comment

Probably best to.

Did you get a copy of theirs ?
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

No ive had nothing from them yet - all communication has been through Bryan Carter but had nothing from them on that form either - due date is 30th Oct so still some time

Comment

Originally posted by cmercer80 View Post
                            Yes that form - i have sent a copy of it to the court last week - is the claimant Lowell? - should i send it recorded?
                            The Claimant is Lowell as it will say on the claim form. BC are solicitors acting as their agents.

All correspondence to banks, DCAs or their solicitors should be sent 'recorded signed for' so you have proof of delivery.

Comment

Brilliant Advice - i will do that today

Thankyou

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X