• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**. Won **. Car not as advertised - court claim - eBay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote: "To drive it, I would have to tax and insure it. It is currently on private land. The engine has not even been started." Are you seriously saying that you have issued this claim without ever having driven the vehicle?

Comment

Acts aren't for educational purposes..... and I wouldn't recommend using that comment in court lol

Comment

I also think this could cause you a problem if he reproduces it:

I found these faults.
        2 x Interior panels are missing.
        The Centre console display needed to operate
        heating, cooling and the radio is broken.
        The drivers doorway is very badly marked.
        The drivers doorway rubber coming away from
        the car at the bottom and looks unsightly.
        The front bumper is not secured properly.

"THE CAR HAS NOT BEEN STARTED. THERE COULD BE OTHER FAULTS"

You were informed of this by email that same
        evening.
        I require a full refund of £3300
        plus £185 for this claim.

You've told him that the car hasn't been started for several months. Cars need to be turned over regularly to keep everything running. You had the opportunity to inspect the vehicle when he delivered it and if necessary reject it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on his side, but I really do think that you are p*ssing in the wind on this matter. When you try and do things on the cheap, things can sometimes go wrong. If you had bought a car from a local deal who sold it with a warranty, you might have paid a bit more, but you wouldn't be in this position.

Comment

Once the dealer has been told the vehicle is rejected it should not be driven.(if only because if you have an accident you jeopardise your position)
          It becomes his responsibility.

Starting a car and letting it idle does nothing for the vehicle except shorten its battery life
          A car needs to be driven, not just started.
          However if properly done a car can be laid up for years without deteriorating, altho' there are some obvious checks to be carried out before taking it back on the road (time to check on my laid up classic perhaps.. 3 years since it has been on the road)

Comment

Originally posted by thedirtyhound View Post
            Quote: "To drive it, I would have to tax and insure it. It is currently on private land. The engine has not even been started." Are you seriously saying that you have issued this claim without ever having driven the vehicle?
            If your key fob was unable to open the door...... Would you tax and insure the car anyway?
            Am I not allowed to say because of broken and missing items that the car is not what I want?
            Must I really accept whatever I am given?
            I may seem like a horrible person but quite frankly, I do not care if it has the best engine in the world.
            A car is far more than an engine. To me anyway.

Comment

You had the opportunity to inspect the vehicle when he delivered it and if necessary reject it.
              Did I really?
              With all due respect... The car arrived two hours after it was promised. At that particular time, I did not have the time to inspect the vehicle and quite frankly would not choose to inspect a vehicle in poor lighting conditions anyway.
              It was clear to me and my guests that a daylight inspection was the sensible way to go.
              There is a distance selling law to protect the likes of me from the likes of unscrupulous sellers.

Now here is the thing.... I had already paid for the car.
              If I rejected the car, I would have no car and he would still have my money.
              The seller has already proved that he tells lies and can't be trusted.

Comment

When you try and do things on the cheap, things can sometimes go wrong. If you had bought a car from a local deal who sold it with a warranty, you might have paid a bit more, but you wouldn't be in this position.
                I apologise for being an OAP on a state pension.
                It sometimes means you are forced to have a less extravagant lifestyle.
                *********EDIT************
                It should not mean that I must suffer consequences.

I bought a car exactly the same way a couple of days prior.
                There was a problem and the seller rectified it.
                To me, that is the way business should be conducted.

Last edited by jerry12x; 25th May 2018, 22:02:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerry12x View Post

Now here is the thing.... I had already paid for the car.

Good, as it means you relied entirely on the description .
                  The distraction argument that you had time to examine the car prior to accepting it is a complete non runner

Comment

Thanks. I needed that.

Comment

I am working on the Witness statement at the moment.
                      Well... I call it fighting with MS Office bullet numbering.
                      Photo's can be used but is there a certain way to use them?
                      At the moment I have them in the appropriate place but it occurred to me that the photo's should be an addition at the end and simply referenced from the statement.

Comment

Your statement needs to be in strict numbered chronological paragraphs.
                        You would say something along the lines of

8. On dd/mm at 8.00 a.m. i examined the vehicle and discovered it was not in good condition due to the following faults:
                        (I) heavy scratching to driver's door (exhibit 4)
                        (ii) interior panels missing (exhibit 5)
                        (iii) control panel not functioning or whatever (exhibit 6)
                        etc etc

You then have a separate pile of exhibits numbered accordingly.

Comment

Thank you, that helps. I had done e.g. interior panels missing with a picture underneath.

Incidentally, this is the first solicitors letter that provoked me to start the County Court claim.
                          I did not realise at the time that the untruths were the result of him having a dishonest client.
                          It would I am sure have put many people off proceeding.

If they end up in the wrong order, I have numbered them 1 to 3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture21.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	1406488Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture22.PNG
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	1406487Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture23.PNG
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	1406486

Comment

Post up your WS when finished so if necessary we can tweak it for you

Comment

I have completed an initial draught. It contains 4 pages of statements and 11 pages of exhibits.
                              I have used email correspondence and the full ebay messaging transcript of a further 8 pages.
                              I am sure it is not all needed but I tried to include everything.
                              The ebay messaging correspondence I am quite unsure of.
                              I will start with the first 4 pages.

Witness Testomony test1.pdf Witness Testomony test2.pdf Witness Testomony test3.pdf Witness Testomony test4.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X