• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taking a European Company To Court?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a European Company To Court?

Very briefly, I ordered some flowers from Telefleurs.fr here in the UK to be delivered in France, value 45EUROS. They didn't arrive and refuse to refund.

The company is owned by Euroflorist, a Swedish company with HQ in the Netherlands. In 2010 Euroflorist acquired Eflorist Ltd, a UK company based in Romsey,

I know it's a low sum but based on principle, am I able to issue a summons to the UK company?

Thank you!
    Tags: None

Originally posted by CharlieP View Post
    Very briefly, I ordered some flowers from Telefleurs.fr here in the UK to be delivered in France, value 45EUROS. They didn't arrive and refuse to refund.

The company is owned by Euroflorist, a Swedish company with HQ in the Netherlands. In 2010 Euroflorist acquired Eflorist Ltd, a UK company based in Romsey,

I know it's a low sum but based on principle, am I able to issue a summons to the UK company?

Thank you!
    Contact the card provider you paid with, inform them they didn't deliver the goods and are refusing a refund. Ask them to do a charge back of the payment.

No need for paying fees, lengthy court process and you can get on with life knowing not to use their services again.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

I know you're right Tom. I will contact my bank.

Comment

First of all, I would forget trying to claim against the UK entity. Each company is deemed a separate legal entity so it sounds like your contract was with Telefleurs, not one of the other group companies. If you tried to issue a claim against the UK based company, I would expect them to file a robust defence and/or apply to strike out your claim with incurred costs, or if they didn't apply to strike out, they would seek their costs at trial which could be substantial - all on the basis that your contract was not with them, it was Telefleurs.

Buying goods online from an overseas business will generally be governed by the laws and jurisdiction of that particular country (or the laws set out in their terms and conditions). However, European law dictates that a consumer who concludes a contract with a business, shall be governed by the laws where the consumer is residing provided that the business:

"(a) pursues his commercial or professional activities in the country where the consumer has his habitual residence, or

(b) by any means, directs such activities to that country or to several countries including that country."

This is set out in the Rome 1 Regulations 2008 and there are certain exceptions but I won't list them all and suggest you have a read yourself. Click Here (Article 6 begins bottom of page 6).

I would add to what JaguarsUK has said and you might want to consider contacting the UK European Contact Centre (http://www.ukecc.net/index.cfm) who may be able to assist you further or least attempt to get a refund if all else fails. A chargeback however, might be the quickest and easiest way though. If your request for a chargeback fails, I suspect the ECC will perhaps direct you to the EU Online Dispute Resolution Platform (ODR for short) and the ECC has a good overview of the ODR and its process by going to the following link: http://www.ukecc.net/consumer-topics...resolution.cfm

My EU law knowledge is a little rusty so best to double check with ECC.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Many thanks rob for a very informative reply. I will see what happens with a chargeback first and if that fails will try the UKECC as you have suggested.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X