• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

*** DISCONTINUED *** Unjust Enrichment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

I have not signed a consent order, but obviously want to finalise this if I can. Attached is a draft of one I am going to send to the claimant to see if they will sign one

If the Claim has already been Discontinued (Notice served on you and filled at court) then I don’t see how you can ask the court to make an Order for dismissal (seal a Consent Order) since the claim no longer exists.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post

If the Claim has already been Discontinued (Notice served on you and filled at court) then I don’t see how you can ask the court to make an Order for dismissal (seal a Consent Order) since the claim no longer exists.

Di
      Yes, I have also received a copy of the sealed Notice of discontinuance from the court with the order vacating the hearing. I suppose I just hope that's the last I hear of them.

Thanks for your assistance.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post

Di
        That is not entirely correct,

[quote] Right to apply to have notice of discontinuance set aside

(1) Where the claimant discontinues under rule 38.2(1) the defendant may apply to have the notice of discontinuance set aside(GL).

(2) The defendant may not make an application under this rule more than 28 days after the date when the notice of discontinuance was served on him.
        [\quote]

You could have the notice set aside and apply for a consent order, but t he real question is what is to be gained from that?
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

[QUOTE=pt2537;n1395789]

Right to apply to have notice of discontinuance set aside

(1) Where the claimant discontinues under rule 38.2(1) the defendant may apply to have the notice of discontinuance set aside(GL).

(2) The defendant may not make an application under this rule more than 28 days after the date when the notice of discontinuance was served on him.
          [\quote]

You could have the notice set aside and apply for a consent order, but t he real question is what is to be gained from that?
          I wouldn't want to pay a fee to apply to set aside and I doubt they'd sign a consent order bearing costs of the application to set aside.

If there was a cost neutral way of doing it the benefit to me would be in having the claim dismissed and that being the end of the matter.

I think it's unlikely that they would apply for consent to resurrect this with the associated fee of making such an application given their hearing fee was only £80 and they appear unwilling to pursue this to hearing at that cost.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

[QUOTE=pt2537[/B];n1395789]

Right to apply to have notice of discontinuance set aside

[\quote]

You could have the notice set aside and apply for a consent order, but the real question is what is to be gained from that?
            [QUOTE]

The real question is why would the Defendant want to apply for the Discontinuance to be set aside?

What you're suggesting is a risk with costs consequences if their Application to set aside were to be unsuccessful.

The OP admits their liable for the disputed sum and had made offers to settle so it may make sense to quit while they are ahead.

I wanted to settle the matter and again wrote to them to seek an agreement at the affordable rate, also stating that had they just been reasonable they'd be getting their money back. . .

. . . . I responded to challenge that I was at fault for the payment, corrected a lot of the misleading statements made referring to previous correspondence, put forward an affordable repayment plan and have yet to receive a reply.

Re: Unjust Enrichment

Thanks for the response, you're correct the offers were not made with a "without predjudice" statement. Hindsight is wonderful eh?

By offering repayment I assume I have surrendered any argument that they were made as goodwill gestures and now bind me?

Originally posted by Peridot View Post
            Re: Unjust Enrichment

The fact that you have had a monthly salary increase of some £700, the Court may find it difficult to accept that you are unable to deal with the sum outstanding to C. You were made aware of the error reasonably quickly after it had occurred.

This was a £700 claim which it appears you no longer have to pay. You admit you owe it so are presumably happy with the result (a Discontinuance).

An Application to set aside the Discontinuance may cost you £255. If you are unsuccessful in that Application you may have to pay the other side's legal costs.

You must do what feels right for you having done the maths.

Di

Comment

This was a £700 claim which it appears you no longer have to pay. You admit you owe it so are presumably happy with the result (a Discontinuance).

An Application to set aside the Discontinuance may cost you £255. If you are unsuccessful in that Application you may have to pay the other side's legal costs.

You must do what feels right for you having done the maths.

Di
              I assume their application for permission to file another claim would also cost them £255? If so given they haven't the desire to pay £80 I'm 99% sure this is the end of it and I'm happy with that.

It would nice to be able to have the security that this is the end of it with a dismissal, but you can't always get what is nice!

Comment

I doubt an application to have the notice of discontinuance set aside in these circumstances would succeed. An application such as this would normally be used in circumstances where there is some abuse of the process of the court (i.e a claimant has discontinued in circumstances where the defendant had to first consent) , or for the purposes of costs issues but in this case it was a small claim - so no right to costs unless the claimant has acted unreasonably such as discontinuing a couple of days before hearing etc.

They are unlikely to try and restart proceedings in this case given the low value.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X