• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HSBA/ First Direct/Arrow/ Restons Court Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSBA/ First Direct/Arrow/ Restons Court Claim

Received a court claim for the following:

The Claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant under a contract between the defendant and HSBC dated on or around the Jul 22 2003 and assigned to the claimant on Jan 20 2015.

Claim amount £13, 060

This was a small overdraft, credit care and a loan. At the time when I defaulted I had lost my job. I offered to pay the loan at the time. They rolled everything into one account and claimed for the whole amount. At no time have I acknowledged the cc and overdraft due to charges, incorrect credit agreement and so on. I started to pay towards the loan but they gave me account details which turned out to be the whole amount. When I set up a payment, it was strickly on the basis it was for the loan only and disputed the one account. I have since ceased payments as I had been misled by HSBA collections at the time. I have not acknowledged the cc or overdraft for in excess of 7/ 8 years and have strictly said payments we for the loan account only.

I understood at the time they cannot role into one account loans and credit cards covered under the consumer credit act.

I will request a copy of the credit agreements and everything they have both to the solicitors and Arrow.

I will have to submit an embarressed defence.

I have almost cleared up my credit since 2009 and just got engaged. I was going to try to get back onto the property ladder as I have always had trouble getting even rented with my former credit history. I do not want anything to go on my credit recorded as I cannot afford at my age to wait another 6 years. I will be too old to pay for a mortgage. My lady is currently selling her flat so we can buy together. At the time I was diagnosed with depression, lost my long term relationship and the kids now live with their mother during the week. I will not have their everyone's future put at risk again.

Any advice would be great.
    Tags: None

Re: HSBA/ First Direct/Arrow/ Restons Court Claim

Have you filed acknowledgement of the claim with the court?
    When was the claim issue date?

(Just crossing 'i's' & dotting 't's').
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Not yet. Dated the 15th. Only picked it up this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by roygoodbeat View Post
        Received a court claim for the following:

The Claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant under a contract between the defendant and HSBC dated on or around the Jul 22 2003 and assigned to the claimant on Jan 20 2015.

Claim amount £13, 060
        Is that all it said in the POC?

If so it suggests they have no idea that the disputed sum relates to a credit card, loan and overdraft. Don't do anything to give them any clues. So when you send your CCA Request make sure it says section 77 - 79 CCA Request.

Is it likely that all three products were opened on the same day of the same month of the same year? I doubt it.

Di

Comment

What is the exact name of the Claimant on the claim form?

Is it Arrow Global Ltd or Arrow Global (Guernsey) Ltd?

I have a reason for asking

Di

Comment

have almost cleared up my credit since 2009 and just got engaged.
            Congratulations on your engagement!

These are the things which matter in life

Di

Comment

Thankyou!

Its Arrow Global Limited

Comment

Hi

Have done my 77-79 request. Have also copies the CPR request 3.14.

In summary, is this all I can ask for?

On 19/05/2017 I received a County Court claim from yourselves of which I have acknowledged receipt indicating my intention to defend in full.

To enable me to file my defence and/or counterclaim, I require inspection of documents you mention in your statement of case ahead of filing my defence on 31 May 2017.

1) Copy of the contract dated on or around the 22nd July 2003
                2) Proof of assignment on the 20th January 2015.

There is hardly any particulars on the claim form. Should I also mention to the solicitors that I have requested a copy of my credit agreement.

Comment

Hi

Have done my 77-79 request. Have also copies the CPR request 3.14.

In summary, is this all I can ask for?

On 19/05/2017 I received a County Court claim from yourselves of which I have acknowledged receipt indicating my intention to defend in full.

To enable me to file my defence and/or counterclaim, I require inspection of documents you mention in your statement of case ahead of filing my defence on 31 May 2017.

1) Copy of the contract dated on or around the 22nd July 2003
                  2) Copies of all relevant Notices of Assignment, beginning with the original creditor through to the current assignee.
                  3) Copies of all Deeds of Assignment pertaining to 2) above.

There is hardly any particulars on the claim form. Should I also mention to the solicitors that I have requested a copy of my credit agreement.
                  Yes. Enclose a copy (no fee needed for this one). Cross-refer the CPR letter & the copy of the CCA.
                  Keep copies. Obtain proof of posting.
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi. Just had a reply from Restons. Looking at the other forums, it is the standard letter which states you will have received a copy of the contract when you opened the account and there is no reason why you need an additional copy. They also state that the cpr 31.14 rules do not apply as the particulars of claim contains sufficient information.

Still have not heard from arrow global regarding my credit agreement request.

Have to file a defence is a few days so a bit stuck on what to respond.

Comment

If it were me, I'd stick to the script & file a defence per the forum example.
                      Once you've done that it is more difficult for them to change their particulars.
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

had a reply from Restons. Looking at the other forums, it is the standard letter which states you will have received a copy of the contract when you opened the account and there is no reason why you need an additional copy. They also state that the cpr 31.14 rules do not apply as the particulars of claim contains sufficient information.
                        They can say what they like!

Since this claim is for over £13k it's likely to be allocated to the Fast Track were Full Disclosure rules will apply. They will have to produce all documents in their (and their client's) possession and so will you even if they harm your case.

This is how the FT proceedings work (it can take nearly a year from start to finish) >

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...rt28/pd_part28

I can see I asked you some questions earlier in the thread - when you get a moment can you reply to them

Also have you sent a Subject Access Request to HSBC? You'll need that.

Di

Comment

I have drafted a defence based on some others I have seen here.
                          Facts or the case (Do I need to include any of these?)

Credit card was put into dispute. Have not acknowledged debt or made payment since 2009.
                          Overdraft. Was put into dispute. Have not acknowledged debt or made payment since 2009.
                          Loan. Was taken out later. However, agreed to pay the loan only as a gesture of good will. In all my conversations and in writing, I only ever agreed to pay this loan account number. This was after they rolled into one account. They gave me account details to make payments. These were paid until I discovered a couple of years later that they were taking payments off the rolled account, not as what was agreed. I wrote to them saying these payments were for the loan account number …… only.

So they deceived me on this and payments stopped. Now the overdraft and credit card as far as I am concerned, no acknowledgement of this has been made. The loan for which I was sending money for was terminated by First Direct. That means payments being sent were for an account that does not exist, and were not meant for them to place into the rolled in account. All these are covered by different acts. Therefore if the account no longer exists, then they are holding money that should be refunded?

Any advice would be appreciated as I only have a couple of days to submit the defence.

Finally, how long can restons and arrow get away with these bulk claims and claiming without the documents and facts first. Should I draw the courts attention to this?

Rough Defence:

1. I received the claim [Claim number] from the Northampton County Court on 19th May 2017.

2. Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3. The claimant has failed to specify the nature of the account.

4. The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

5. The particulars of claim fail to state exactly when the agreement was entered into.

6. The Defendant contends the alleged debt is statute barred by virtue of Section 5 of the Limitations Act 1980 in that no payment or acknowledgment has been made for over 6 years.

7. The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from HSBC to Arrow Global Limited in 2016. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment. The claimant is put to strict proof a notice of assignment was served.

8. The claimant is put to strict proof they have the right under statute to bring the claim

9. It is denied that HSBC served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant.

10. On the 23rd May 2017 I sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimants statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Restons Solicitors Limited. I requested the Claimant provide copies of all applicable contracts, deeds and notices pertaining to the account.

11. Restons Solicitors Limited has not sent any of these documents to me and deny that they have to send these to me.

12. On the 23rd May 2017 I sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to Arrow Global Limited pursuant to 77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

13. The Claimant has failed to comply with S77(1) or s 78 (1) or s 70 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of S77(4) or s 78 (6) or s 79 Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

14. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

15. I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case else the Claim should stand struck out.

16. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

17. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

It is Arrow Global Ltd.

- - - Updated - - -

Arrow Global Ltd.

Have not done a SAR but will do. Did one years ago along with a cca request. As far as I recall, not everything was sent at the time.

Comment

Need to file my defence by Friday. Could anyone check my last post to see if this is ok!

Thanks.

Comment

Have not done a SAR but will do. Did one years ago along with a cca request. As far as I recall, not everything was sent at the time.
                              To whom did you send that s 77-79 CCA Request - I'm guessing HSBC if it was years ago?

Did they comply with that CCA Request?

You say "not everything was sent at the time" but it's not clear whether you are referring to your SAR or your CCA Request.

Do you have evidence (kept the paperwork) of that CCA Request, such as date sent and any response received?

I can't comment on the contents of your Defence (I have to respect my firm's insurance) but generally speaking if you already have a s.77-79 CCA Request which has not been complied with then that may be relevant to these legal proceedings.

This claim is for £14k so likely to be allocated to the Fast Track which means you'll be at risk of the other sides costs if you don't win.

You need to get that SAR sent to HSBC pronto.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X