• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** DISCONTINUED / settled in part ** Crying for help ! Please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think this covers everything you want to say to them.... amend of course as you wish so it's in your own words, I've kept it 'normal' rather than 'legal' to get across that you've simply had enough of their rubbish. I've put £200 as that seems a reasonable amount to cover their purchase of the account and court fee with a bit of profit to make them happy.... but amend as you want to.

Dear Cabot, ( cc Mortimer Clarke Solicitors)

Without Prejudice
    Reference: CLAIM NO xxxxxxxxxxx
    Thank you for your letter dated xx July 2018 in which you state that the last payment on the account was £1 in 2011. It is my understanding that this payment was NOT, as you suggest, a payment to the account, but a statutory payment to the original creditor, capital one, in order to obtain a copy of the original agreement pursuant to section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The payment should not have been allocated to the account in any way and thus will not be considered as the last payment for purposes of calculating the period the debt has been statute barred. In fact your previous communications appear to show that the £1 payment was removed from the account a few days later.
    payment received 24/11/2011 -£1
    payment adjustment 29/11/2011 +£1
    This is simply not capable of extending the statute barred period.
    The last payment made, according to my records, was in 2007 and the account was defaulted early in 2008. It had already been removed from my credit file and no payments or acknowledgements were subsequently made. Therefore your county court claim issued 6th November 2016 was already out of time pursuant to the Limitations Act 1980.
    In any event, I have since sent two further formal requests to you pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974, neither of which you have complied with. I'm sure you are fully aware that while you remain in default of these requests you are unable to enforce the agreement. You have sent an alleged copy of an agreement however it is completely illegible and doesn't contain the prescribed terms. Therefore I consider you to be in default of my formal requests.
    It has been almost 2 years since you filed the claim for this alleged debt, over that time I have requested information and details from you to help me consider my position and to date have received very little information.

However, in the interests of getting this sorted without expending further time and expense on dealing with it I would be willing to make a goodwill offer of payment of £200 in full and final settlement of the account, with no acceptance of liability, on the condition the account is closed and the county court claim withdrawn from the court. My Mother passed away recently and to be honest, I have far more important things to be concerned with at the moment and cannot deal with the stress your apparent abuse of the court process is causing me.

Please confirm your acceptance of this offer in writing. Should this offer not be accepted I will proceed with defending your claim through the courts and I will be disputing any application you may make to lift the stay and/or for summary judgment as I believe I have a real prospect of success in defending your claim.

Kind regards

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

• Amethyst Thank You so much ! I will do the letter now and send it straightaway . I really appreciate everything you have done for me. Thank You.

Comment

• No worries, let me know what they come back with, and please look after yourself xxxxx
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

• Amethyst Hi , I have now received a letter from them accepting my offer . I am trying to upload the attachment but it won’t let me.

Comment

• Super - it's great that this will finally be over and out of your hair. A bank transfer - in this instance - is fine - make sure you put your reference in and I'd also then write back to them briefly saying;

Thank you for accepting the position and my offer of a full and final settlement to bring the matter to an end. I have, as agreed, made payment of £200 by bank transfer at xxxpm on xxxxxxx to the account details provided and referenced xxxxxxxxx. I look forward to receiving your clients notice of discontinuance shortly.

Something like that anyway, just so it's all confirmed.

There is no reason for them to go back on anything so don't worry. You might prefer to wait until you have the notice of discontinuance in hand before paying - should all be done and dusted by the end of the month.

I hope you're doing okay otherwise xxxx

#staysafestayhome

Comment

• Amethyst I am having a difficult time really just trying hard so much to be okay . thank you .

I am glad this one will be finished and I think I really want to wait for their discontinuance letter before I transfer the payment.
              Do I have to use any highligted title ( like what I did last letter “without prejudice “) ?! I just want to tell them I will pay soon as I received the discontinuance from them. thank you again for your help.

Comment

• Yes put "Without Prejudice Save as to costs" at the top this time, as if they go back on it, you want to be able to use the letter against them regards their behaviour after agreeing a settlement. Put something like

Without Prejudice Save as to Costs

Ref: Claim xxxxxxx

With regards the above claim, I thank you for accepting the position and my offer of payment of £200 in full and final settlement to bring the matter to an end. As agreed, I will make a payment of £200 by bank transfer to the account details provided, referenced xxxxxxxxx, upon receipt of your clients notice of discontinuance.

Thank you for your consideration.

Regards

xxxxxxxxxx
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

• Amethyst and to ALL of you thank you for your help. I have now received a notice of discontinuance from the Claimant but not sure if its the right one :-) I have sent it to your email Amethyst. x

Comment

• ring the court to check they reveived the form

Comment

• MIKE770 Hi I rang them earlier and been told they haven’t received it yet . I have received mine just today and they said soon as they received it they will update it on their system.

Comment

• 2018-09-27 13_12_21-Cortana.png
                        Attached Files
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

• Yes the NoD looks absolutely perfect You can make your agreed payment now xxx

Well done for getting this sorted out.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

• Hi just an update, I have received a letter from Cabot with the closing balance of £686.
                            Amethyst I want to send them a letter saying that the account is paid and closed. I don’t understand why they are sending me letters demanding for payment?! could you help me please? I thought its already done.

Comment

• I just called the court and I’ve been told its been discontinued. I just don’t understand why they keep sending letter ?! please kindly help me again. I thought its finished. thank you all again.

Comment

• It's good don't worry - the account is closed - the statement looks to be a standard annual statement and is 2017.

Excuse my terrible highlighting

09B8DA6E-C37B-4D7C-9257-EC5285E27E94.jpeg
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X