• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with CCJ. Arrow Global & Restons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with CCJ. Arrow Global & Restons

Originally posted by willow6972 View Post
    I need to start thinking about my defence I suppose

. . . . . The credit agreement they (arrow) sent is totally illegible. I cannot read the terms at all
    Your next step is to file your Defence.

I would caution against writing any letter to Restons solicitors until you've done that (if at all). A stroppy letter won't achieve anything except serve to annoy them.

From what you say the Claimant has not complied with your CCA Request. That will probably form part of your Defence.

From what you say you've not been sent a copy of the DN or NOA.

Without the necessary paperwork they cannot enforce the debt in court. They know that which is why they have written you a stroppy letter. It needs no response.

If you have anything to say to Restons then you should say it in your Defence and not in correspondence beforehand.

The Beagles have a template Defence to get you started. I would wait for one of them to guide you where to find it on the forum and they'll also help you to tweak it to suit your own circumstances.

Di

Comment

My recommendation stands, as it has proved very successful in ending proceedings very quickly. response is very important!

Putting the point the CPR 31,14 is applicable is Not a stroppy response in any way.

Comment

I want to do everything I possibly can to avoid a CCJ!
        In which case file a Defence with the help of the Beagles

Di

Comment

Right, done that. Will post recorded tomorrow. I was just thinking ahead, the defence part terrifies me, I am aware that Restons aren't the nicest. I want to do everything I possibly can to avoid a CCJ!
          We'll start to get your defence together Willow, for now take a look at the defence templates in the green box at the top of this page to give you an idea of format and content, then if you want make a draft and post it here so we can go through it with you.
          Plenty of help with this is available.

nem

Comment

Thankyou so much!

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
              as it has proved very successful in ending proceedings very quickly. response is very important!

Putting the point the CPR 31,14 is applicable is Not a stroppy response in any way.
              The thing is I can never understand why some people write to solicitors in an attempt to force/cajole them into producing documents.

Surely it's better from a Defence point of view if they don't/can't produce the essential paperwork?

If the OP has not been sent any Ts & Cs (as has been said) that can only be good news for now. Putting pressure on the solicitor to produce them may not help.

Restons' own letter makes a tacit admission that they haven't got the Ts & Cs that's why they're saying they would have been sent to the OP when they opened the account in 2005.

I'm not against letters to the other side inviting a Discontinuance as long as they are accompanied by a Draft Application of what you'll do if they don't agree.

My personal view is that there's a time and a place for writing to the other side and before filing a Defence is not one of them.

Di

Comment

Right, done that. Will post recorded tomorrow. I was just thinking ahead, the defence part terrifies me, I am aware that Restons aren't the nicest. I want to do everything I possibly can to avoid a CCJ!
                What you do must be your choice.

Your Defence deadline is 17th October (isn't it?). This forum will help you to do that.

You have time to recover from that Restons' letter which appears to have spooked you. That, of course, is why they sent it. It's a template letter they commonly send to LIPs. They wouldn't send that same letter to any solicitor acting for a Defendant

If you want to write to them give some thought as to when would be the right time to do that.

Di

Comment

In the case of Restons and CPR 31.14 request it has proved very successful to challenge their template rejections of CPR requests the non cooperation has a positive result when used in defence and WS.

I only recommend actions that have had positive effects.

In todays very aggressive debt purchase and collection industry it's important to met the challenges/ misleading statement and down right ruthlessness head on it one doesn't the LIP gets trodden down.

Long experience has proved this.

nem

Comment

Keep going as advised and you will find Reestons will either ask for a settlement before it goes to Court or they will discontinue. It's very rare for them to see things to the end.

NMNP.

Comment

Hi!

Sick, sick and more sick has delayed me somewhat!

Reply from 2nd letter to Restons received yesterday (sure they are messing with me!)

'In the absence of a formal request being made along with the appropriate fee (It was to Arrow, no reply, not cashed cheque) we and out client are under no obligation to provide the documents you have requested.

Should you fail to file a response to the claim within the timeframe stipulated by the court, we may request judgement is entered against you by default'

My defence (as I see it) is that they have failed to supply documents they are relying on in court. After a previous via request they sent an illegible credit agreement which I could not read. I asked for one that I could read, they simply issued court proceedings. Help me make that sound legal speak! Deadline tomorrow. 😤😤

Comment

Ps, you are all literally brilliant! Many a DCA must live in fear of forums like this!

Comment

Reply from 2nd letter to Restons received yesterday (sure they are messing with me!)

'In the absence of a formal request being made along with the appropriate fee (It was to Arrow, no reply, not cashed cheque) we and out client are under no obligation to provide the documents you have requested.

Should you fail to file a response to the claim within the timeframe stipulated by the court, we may request judgement is entered against you by default'

My defence (as I see it) is that they have failed to supply documents they are relying on in court. 
                          They're just stating the obvious which is if you don't file a Defence by the court deadline they can get a Default Judgment. But you knew that anyway which is why you'll be filing it by 4pm tomorrow.

Did you send your CCA Request to Arrow by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery or at least with Proof of Posting? If you sent it before proceedings were issued Restons might not know that but it won't alter the fact you sent it to the creditor who is the one obliged to comply. It's clear they received it because they responded by sending you an illegible document and no Ts & Cs from what you say.

Im sorry you've been sick - I hope you're feeling better now

Di

Comment

Hello!

Yes, was sent 26th September, recorded delivery. I've used the template, changed documents etc. I've also added a point about s61(1), failure to supply a legible agreement.

All ready to go, I think.

Comment

Why not ask someone to check your draft Defence before you file it.

I've read back through your thread and can see this was an MBNA credit card opened in 2005 but I can't see anything which says when you last made a payment towards it.

How much is this claim because that can sometimes give an indication of what lies ahead?

Did you ask Restons for a copy of the DN?

Di

Comment

I've not made myself very clear- I sent a further request to Arrow when I sent Restons the CPR request. They've just ignored me.

- - - Updated - - -

I've made a payment within 6 years

DN? haha

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X