• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent help needed! Restons!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help needed! Restons!

They are trying to chase a Capital One credit card from 2011, I have very little recollection of the account, and have received no paperwork etc for some time, having moved address etc.

Cabot, then Restons began to contact me threatening court action. Eventually I got a Letter Before Action.

I replied with the following:

Thank you for your letter dated 16 February 2016, the contents of which have been noted. I believe that yourcorrespondence constitutes a “Letter Before Action”. I would therefore like to refer you to Paragraph 3 of the
    Practice Direction (PD) for Pre-Action Conduct, which states: “before commencing proceedings, the court will expect
    the parties to have exchanged sufficient information to (a) understand each other’s position; (b) make decisions
    about how to proceed;”

Paragraph 6 of the PD states “the parties should exchange correspondence and information to comply with the
    objectives“ and Paragraph 6(c) refers to “the parties disclosing key documents relevant to the issues in dispute.”
    My request refers to the documents and information I require to obtain the necessary information to assess my
    position in this case.

I require copies of the following:
    1. The original agreement and terms of the account;
    2. The Default Notice;
    3. The Notice of Assignment to your clients;
    4. Statements of account;
    5. Details of how the amount has been calculated;

These documents would be expected to be supplied if proceedings were issued and would likely be in your
    possession if you were issuing a claim. If you consider that there is difficulty in providing a copy of a document,
    please identify that document and the reason.

In accordance with the PD, I shall be able to provide you with a full response to your letter within 14 days of receipt
    of the documents listed above and also reserve the right to refer to the contents of this letter if proceedings are
    issued without first providing copy documents to me.

Finally, I must re-iterate that, at this time, I entirely dispute my liability for any such debt. If you are able to furnish
    me with sufficient evidence supporting your claim, I will, of course, be happy to reassess my position.
    HOWEVER

They have now responded:

Neither us or our Client is under any obligation to provide a copy of the agreement without the relevant application being made in writing, along with the appropriate fee. Your liability arose under a Credit Card facility with Capital One which was taken around (date) under reference (#######).

Regular statements would have been provided during the time the account was active on a monthly basis. We recommend you check your own records accordingly for these, along with the other documents referenced in your letter. We see no reason why should now require further copies of these documents.

We trust this clarifies our position on the matter. Legal proceedings will now be issued against you.
    I have no idea what to do now?! Please help!
    Tags: None

Re: Urgent help needed! Restons!

Originally posted by classx View Post
    They are trying to chase a Capital One credit card from 2011, I have very little recollection of the account, and have received no paperwork etc for some time, having moved address etc.

Cabot, then Restons began to contact me threatening court action. Eventually I got a Letter Before Action.

I replied with the following:

HOWEVER

They have now responded:

I have no idea what to do now?! Please help!
    Good morning.

You need to send Cabot ( not Restons) a formal request for a copy of the agreement (CCA Request) see template in " short cuts" in the green box above,

Buy a Postal Order for £1.00 and write " For Statutory Fee Only " on both sides and keep a copy for your records. Cabot has 12 + 2 Working days to comply.

Make sure you sign the request with your normal signature as Cabot are likely to reject the request if you don't,

Send the request by signed for post and check delivery date and signature.

How much are Cabot claiming?

When was the account opened?

When did contractual payments stop?

When was the account defaulted?

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
      Good morning.

You need to send Cabot ( not Restons) a formal request for a copy of the agreement (CCA Request) see template in " short cuts" in the green box above,

Buy a Postal Order for £1.00 and write " For Statutory Fee Only " on both sides and keep a copy for your records. Cabot has 12 + 2 Working days to comply.

Make sure you sign the request with your normal signature as Cabot are likely to reject the request if you don't,

Send the request by signed for post and check delivery date and signature.

When did contractual payments stop?

nem
      Thank you for your help!

In answer to the points:

Just under £700.

May 2011

When did contractual payments stop

Absolutely no idea. Probably around late 2011.

According to Restons, February 2012

I will send the CCA request off today to Cabot- what should I do with Restons in the meantime if their court claim appears?

Thanks again!!!

Comment

Getting the CCA request done now save time once the claim is issued.

Is there any thing that can be used in defence, e.g. was there any unresolved dispute with the original creditor?

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
          Getting the CCA request done now save time once the claim is issued.

Is there any thing that can be used in defence, e.g. was there any unresolved dispute with the original creditor?

nem
          I can't remember any issues with the original creditor.

I genuinely haven't received anything like Default Notices, statements, assignments etc - I've moved house a few times though, but my credit report has always reflected my newest addresses.

So I'm not sure whether they've even sent them?

Thanks again for your help- it's stressing me out!

Comment

Originally posted by classx View Post
            I can't remember any issues with the original creditor.

I genuinely haven't received anything like Default Notices, statements, assignments etc - I've moved house a few times though, but my credit report has always reflected my newest addresses.

So I'm not sure whether they've even sent them?

Thanks again for your help- it's stressing me out!
            If your credit files have always been updated they should have been able to trace you easily enough.

We'll have to wait and see what is on the claim when/if it arrives.

Don't let this stress you there plenty of help here.

nem

Comment

The responsibility is on you to update your address with creditors and to pay your debts.

It's Not on your creditors to trace you as you move around the country without you telling them and it's not on them to go to the expense of chasing you.

You admit the debt is yours, it's not statute barred and you stopped paying.

Why not stop playing games and pay it off - if your not able to in one go come to a repayment arrangement. Stupid games will cost you money and do you no good

Comment

Originally posted by Sortit View Post
                The responsibility is on you to update your address with creditors and to pay your debts.

It's Not on your creditors to trace you as you move around the country without you telling them and it's not on them to go to the expense of chasing you.

You admit the debt is yours, it's not statute barred and you stopped paying.

Why not stop playing games and pay it off - if your not able to in one go come to a repayment arrangement. Stupid games will cost you money and do you no good
                Hi Sortit

If it were me, I'd want to know exactly what the other party is 'holding' before making any moves.
                All the better for bargaining, & considering they have purchased the alleged debt for pence in the pound I wouldn't beat myself up about it, either!
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X