• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd VS Nebula Dementia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd VS Nebula Dementia

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 16 Feb 2016
    Amount approx: £975
    Claimant: Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd Ellington House 9 Savannah Way Leeds Valley Park Leeds LS10 1AB
    Solicitor: Cohen Cramer Solicitors 1B Josephs Well, Hanover Walk Leeds LS3 xxx
    Original Creditor: JD Williams - catalogue
    Particulars of Claim: Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers
    The claim is for the sum of £907.00 due by the Defendant under a non-regulated JD Williams account with an account reference of XXXXXXX
    The Defendant failed to maintain contractual payments required under the terms of the account agreement.
    The debt was legally assigned to the claimant on 06/Mar/2015, notice of which has been given to the defendant.
    The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £68 pounds and xxx pence
    The Claimant claims the sum of £975

The Claimant believes that the facts stated in this claim form are true and I am duly authorised by the claimant to sign this statement

Signed: Initials and name typed on form (Claimant's Legal Representative)

Is the debt Statute Barred?
    No

List any letters you have sent:

Letter 1:
    1) Letter sent in response to Claim to Lowells asking about the claim as the account was in dispute with JD Williams due to wrong fees being put on the account. There was no response. (No proof of postage.)
    2) Registered at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk stating I would defend the case in full.
    3) Put in CPR 31.14 Request dated 1st March (posted the same day via Registered Post) to Cohen Cramer Solicitors, details as follows:

Dear Sirs,

Re: Lowell Portfolio Ltd v xxx Claim No: xxxx
    CPR 31.14 Request
    On approximately (date) of February of this year I received the Claim Form in the above Claim Number issued by you out of the Northampton County Court.
    I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest your entire claim.
    Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of each of the following documents mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1: The Agreement together with relevant terms associated with that account, you will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para7.3 where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to and served with the particulars of claim and show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should be attached.

2: The notice of assignment.

3: The default notice, complaint with 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4: Show how the Claimant has reached the amount claimed by providing a full Statement of the Account referred to, including details of all payments made and calculation of how interest was charged against each item listed leading to the Alleged Debt of £975

5: Also, as this is an Alleged Debt, I believe Penalty Charges may have been applied to the Account and as such may be unlawful under the Unfair Consumer Contract Terms Regulations 1999. Therefore I would request details of each and every Penalty Charge applied to the Account along with details of their lawfulness (i.e. if the charge is stated as being for 'Administration' what Administration was undertaken to support the Penalty Charge being supplied) along with details of any Interest imposed against each Penalty Charge applied.

Although your claim is for a sum which does not exceed £10,000.00, and thus in all likelihood be allocated to the small claims track once I deliver my defence, however as I am unable to lodge my defence at this time the case has not been allocated to a track for determination upon delivering a defence, as a consequence the provisions of CPR 27(2) have no effect and you should not seek to avoid compliance with your CFR31 duties by claiming otherwise.

You should ensure compliance with your CPR31 duties and ensure that the documents I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document’s authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of the same document owing as a result to a modification, obliteration or other marking, or feature, each version this will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any and all version(s) and include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) that are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CFR 31.14 request.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request, you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request, you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

Signed with typed font.

Letter 2:

1) Put in Formal Request pursuant to s.77/78/79 of the Consumer Act 1974 dated 1st March with a £1.00 postal order (posted the same day via Registered Post) to Lowell's per address on Claim.

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78/79 (delete as appropriate) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request; the provisions of s.78 will apply.

If it id your view that you are not the creditor s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b), 6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00 which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance and return the fee.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Signed with typed font.

#

I have received a response from Lowell’s solicitors, Cohen Cramer, as follows:

Re Claim xxxx Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd –v- xxx

We write in relation to the above matter.

We have received your letter in relation to your request for documents and I have notified our client Lowell Portfolio of this request. Please note that our client has given us a minimum period of time of 45 days from the date of your request to send you the documents you require. We have notified the Court of this agreed extension of time which will also provide you with enough time to prepare a defence should you require this. Upon delivery of your documents you will have 14 days to prepare a defence.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.

Kind Regards

Signed with typed Name (and then) Legal Assistant
    Cohen Cramer Solicitors

#

Further info follows in next post

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Nebula; 8th March 2016, 05:32:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd VS Nebula Dementia

Further Info

I clobbered together the above letters from several sites (found on the web) and feel I may have muddled the details but these are true copies of letters sent, so apologies in advance if I have messed up and my gratitude to everyone who has been good enough to share their efforts in combating the unfair and sometimes illegal activities used by some Creditors and Debt Collectors.

Some Personal Info is needed.

I have lived off credit for some years as I only had my income support and my daughter her college allowance for us to live on. This amounted to £130 per week between us for everything except council tax. Was I wrong to apply for credit - possbily. I put all my eggs in one basket relying on my ability to sort through some financial issues but my health began to fail which stopped that.

I was diagnosed with Dementia in 2013 and although a brain scan showed a small anomaly in the brain, I was told nothing could be done.

My memory, cognitive functions (e.g. language) is impaired and therefore my intellect as one cannot process and store information without the other despite operating when I am lucid enough to be able to communicate.

I am unable to claim Disability Allowance and live on Income Support.

Since then I have moved house, G.P. and hospitals.

A recent brain scan showed that I do not have vascular dementia. However, once again I am waiting to see what aid may be offered to help sort out what may be a ‘software’ problem with my brain.

Brain scans are not sensitive enough to show how one side of the brain communicates with the other so unless there is a real physical manifestation, e.g. showing limited blood supply to the brain, I am continuing to deal with this aspect on my own (with a great deal of help from my daughter as and when studies allow) until I hear back from the doctors as to whether the memory team will agree to take me on (I am considered too young so they may refuse) or whether Neurology can do something.

This means I find it difficult to nigh on impossible to retain details so I use a computer as my memory bank.

However, last week a piece of metal fell off the computer’s power supply onto the graphics card which then proceeded to fry the processor and my computer failed.

I have used rent money and borrowed money to get a new, basic computer up and running and have done my utmost to get as many files as I can from backups made of the old pc albeit many are lost. The only problem being is that Windows XP is no longer viable so I am trying to work with Windows 10 while sorting my backups so that I can get to the information about the account mentioned in the claim as without that information I have little memory.

I am also sorting through paper files; I try and keep everything, so hope to be able to get the case ready for a defence.

Now, though, another problem has occurred. I have suffered general poor health with some factors that hinder my ability to do things even when my brain allows. One of these factors was a lump that my previous doctors disregarded. My new G.P. was kind enough to arrange an urgent appointment and it has since been determined (last week by an ultrasound)) that I do have a tumour, thought to be benign at this time (waiting to hear the biopsy results) and that in any case a major operation is on the cards (the tumour is in a difficult place and the scan showed the possibility of further tumours in another part of the body) which may mean there is a lengthy recuperation, if all goes well.

I might not be able to physically go to the court or even be ready to defend once the time comes up.

So what shall I do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you.

: - )

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Nebula; 8th March 2016, 05:44:AM. Reason: Double post

Comment

Hi Nebula & welcome to LB

According to the PoC (post 1), CC (sols) reckon that this is an non-regulated account.

Can you give details on how it operated?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hello Charity, and thank you for responding so quickly.

I am not sure how Lowells are operating on this being a non-regulated agreement.

I have looked up what this means on C.A.B. as I have not yet found the terms and conditions of the account but am wondering if this account would be considered regulated as it is a catalogue account with similar principles to buying goods on credit which possibly would need a credit agreement.

The credit agreement for the account would probably have been signed for online - but again am not sure until I can find the paperwork. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Nebula View Post
          Hello Charity, and thank you for responding so quickly.

I am not sure how Lowells are operating on this being a non-regulated agreement.

I have looked up what this means on C.A.B. as I have not yet found the terms and conditions of the account but am wondering if this account would be considered regulated as it is a catalogue account with similar principles to buying goods on credit which possibly would need a credit agreement.

The credit agreement for the account would probably have been signed for online - but again am not sure until I can find the paperwork. Sorry.
          Hello Nebula,

This is not the first time Lowell has claimed that a JDW- Shop Direct account is not regulated by CCA 1974 ( as amended), I know of one claim that was withdrawn on this was challenged.

I think it would be a very good idea to phone JDW and enquire about the status of the account in relation to CCA 1974.

I wonder if [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] has and JDW/ SD agreements hopefully this would shed some light on this.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
            Hello Nebula,

This is not the first time Lowell has claimed that a JDW- Shop Direct account is not regulated by CCA 1974 ( as amended), I know of one claim that was withdrawn on this was challenged.

I think it would be a very good idea to phone JDW and enquire about the status of the account in relation to CCA 1974.

I wonder if @Amethyst has and JDW/ SD agreements hopefully this would shed some light on this.

nem

Hello Nemesis and thank you for alerting me to these antics by Lowell.

I did as you suggested and phoned JD Williams but they could not help. I think because they are looking to open accounts rather than knowing how an account works but I did some searching online.

I do believe that the account I held was regulated as from these snippets from JD Williams agreement (cached) online it states:

quote/
            13: Legal matters
            If any part of the agreement is found to be legally invalid or unenforceable this shall not affect the rest of it, which shall remain in full force and effect. We may transfer all or any of your rights and duties under this agreement at any time to any body that holds the necessary authorisation. This will not affect your rights under this agreement including your legal rights.

14:
            The law of England and Wales governs this agreement which is subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English and Welsh Courts. All communications about this agreement must be in English. If you have a complaint about this agreement and we cannot resolve it to your satisfaction using our own internal complaints procedures, you may be able to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service for independent investigation.Their contact details are 0800 023 4567 complaint.info@financial-ombudsman.org.uk and the Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London E14 9SR. Their website address is www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.

We are supervised under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 by the Financial Conduct Authority of 25 The North Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5HS. (Authorisation No: 311618)

JD Williams & Company Limited, registered office, Griffin House, 40 Lever Street, Manchester M60 6ES. Registered in England No. 178367. /end quote

Does this mean I can challenge or have the claim withdrawn?

I probably have this information in my head but I cannot readily access it and I will not get the full image so I shall keep on trying to prompt my mind with research and looking through my paperwork (I have found some payments with dates so far but not notes of conversations which would not only detail information but will also hold the name of the person I spoke with as well as the date) as I know I disputed their fees (putting fees for late payment despite payment being made beforehand) as well as other disputes.

Thank you.

Postscript: I have just found a reminder to go for further blood tests today (my daughter leaves daily reminders of what I am meant to be doing in the fridge) but shall update the thread if I find anything.

Thank you again.
            Last edited by Nebula; 9th March 2016, 07:49:AM. Reason: add a PS

Comment

Hi Nebula

IMHO

You've already sent the CCA/CPR letters (top of the thread in green).

The ball is then back in their court, & if they can't comply, a strike out of case ought to be a slam-dunk!

Keep a careful eye on the court timetable, though.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

As Charity has said you are on track with the CCA request and CPR.

I hope all goes well with the tests!

nem

Comment

One here for Littlewoods - http://s461.photobucket.com/user/mig...y0001.jpg.html - bit old - cached terms pages are best. Should add some to the library actually - thanks

It is regulated. It doesn't fall in any exemptions under sec 16 CCA and does fall under sec 10. It's over £50 ( presumably) and was paid over more than 3 months.

They presumably want to confuddle you into believing its more like getting credit at the newsagents than a formal CCA agreement.

Another case here:-
                  http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...189#post624189
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X