• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

dj0nes v. Lowell/Carter/Fredreksons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dj0nes v. Lowell/Carter/Fredreksons

Hi All,

Okay brief summary,

• In November I got a claim form from Bryan Carter on behalf of Lowell for an alleged Lloyds TSB overdraft for £1,344.
    • I filled a defense to the claim saying I do not acknowledge the debt and that I request proof from Carters that the debt even exists.
    • I personally chased Carter up for this by e-mail numerous times who for the last two months have told me they are waiting on information from their client and will revert back in due course.
    • It then turns out that Lowell don't actually deal with the debt (Even though they are on the court papers) and that it is in fact Freds International who hold the debt.
    • Fast forward to January and still no sign of any evidence this debt even exists other than an e-mail from Carters saying 'I would have had proof about this in the past' and that them requesting this information again was almost like they were doing me a favour lol.
    • Defense was accepted by the court and the claim progressed firstly to mediation stage, which I had to decline as Lowell still didn't provide me with evidence of the debt.
    • I receive a letter on 8th Feb saying it's been passed to my local court for a hearing date of 8th March...

Under directions it states the following

"THE PARTIES SHALL SEND THE COURT AND EACH OTHER 'NO LATER THAN 14 DAYS BEFORE THE HEARING' ANY WRITTEN STATEMENTS OF EVIDENCE OF THEMSELVES AND ANY OTHER WITNESSES WHOSE EVIDENCE IS RELIED ON IN SUPPORT OF THE CLAIM' AND ANY DOCUMENTS WHICH THEY PROPOSE TO RELY ON AT THE HEARING. IT IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE THAT THE PARTIES DO COMPLY WITH THIS DIRECTION, OTHERWISE THE COURT WILL CONSIDER WHETHER THE CLAIM OF A CLAIMANT WHO HAS NOT COMPLIED SHOULD BE STRUCK OUT OR A DEFENCE WHO HAS NOT COMPLIED SHOULD BE STRUCK OUT. THERE IS ALSO A RISK OF THE HEARING HAVING TO BE ADJOURNED AND THE PARTY AT FAULT PAYING THE COSTS RELATED TO THIS AS A RESULT"

Now I calculate this date as being tomorrow, I myself have not submitted a defense as it was going to be on the back of any evidence that Carter was to provide over this debt being valid, being that they have had near three months since issuing the court proceedings to prove the debt exists where do we go from here?

I cannot defend something that may not even exist but the court is wanting a defense of some sort from me, do I send something in to cover myself or do I just sit quiet and hope that Carter hang themselves by not following the court directions?
    Tags: None

Re: dj0nes v. Lowell/Carter/Fredreksons

Please if anyone could advise me on this ASAP I'd be eternally grateful, they haven't provided a shred of proof the debt exists so I think they are on the ropes I just need to make sure I am covered my side, do I need to submit a defense statement or is their lack of compliance sufficient?

Comment

Hi there xxx I'm just having a read of your post ( sorry we missed it before xxx )
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Oh bloody hell. Yes sounds like your Witness Statement and evidence is due in tomorrow. Should be fine to get it in to court by email ( print to pdf, SIGN and attach to an email to the court) or TAKE it in to the court before 4pm, you will have to get it posted 1st class to the claimant though.

Your witness statement will basically say your 'brief summary' but in longer sentences - have a look at some of the examples here -> http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...ness-Statement for an idea of how to do it.

They probably won't comply and will discontinue and it will feel like you pushed the boat out for no apparent reason - BUT if they do comply you're a bit pooped with the Judge saying non compliance may result in a strike - and rather they than you.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst,

Thank you so much for your reply, I hand delivered my witness statement to court today and delivered a copy to Lowell and BC by post too.

To be honest I think they are on the ropes here, I strongly suspect they will discontinue as they haven't filed their witness statements or even seem to know who owns the debt.

I rung them up, not that I should even need to be chasing them for this seeing as the Judge has directed them to provide this to me by today and these clowns really don't know their a*se from their elbows.

Lowell redirected me to Bryan Carter who redirected me to Freds who redirected me to Lowell Solicitors who redirected me back to Lowell who then put me through to Bryan Carters again who then finally confirmed the debt still sits with them but it's in the process of being recalled back to Lowell :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

All he could tell me is he is aware of the e-mails I sent in December and January requesting proof the debt exists and that he's aware of the directions the court has issued and is also aware that this time limit has now passed (14 days before start of hearing) he also confirmed they have yet to receive the paperwork from Lloyds despite requesting this in December.

So looking positive, I just really need some guidance on where to go next he even admitted to me there is a strong chance they will just discontinue this claim themselves.

Do I proactively contact the court and make an application for the claim to be struck out or do I just ride it out and appear on the day hoping to win the case by default due to no evidence then hit them with my costs?

In all honesty it will personally cost me about £150 to attend court on the day (loss of traction against target at work) plus the actual days holiday at work but I am more than happy to take that hit if it means I get to stick two fingers up at these clowns.

If they do write to me saying the case is going to be discontinued can I still claim for the numerous amount of e-mails, telephone calls and time spent defending myself against a claim that I am still yet to see one shred of evidence on?

Really do appreciate your help xx

Comment

Bump

Be really grateful for any help on this, I'm not sure what move to make next. Creditor definitely hasn't disclosed any evidence and it's now past the 14 days before hearing direction.
            When I spoke to them on the phone again today they confirmed they'd paid the £70 fee but denied ever receiving a letter from the judge with the directions of discloser on but somehow knew the court hearing date - which was only disclosed to us on the exact same letter than the directions were on.

Comment

Hi will give [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] a shout but she is off till later tonight

Comment

Originally posted by dj0nes View Post
                Hi All,

Okay brief summary,

• In November I got a claim form from Bryan Carter on behalf of Lowell for an alleged Lloyds TSB overdraft for £1,344.
                • I filled a defense to the claim saying I do not acknowledge the debt and that I request proof from Carters that the debt even exists.
                • I personally chased Carter up for this by e-mail numerous times who for the last two months have told me they are waiting on information from their client and will revert back in due course.
                • It then turns out that Lowell don't actually deal with the debt (Even though they are on the court papers) and that it is in fact Freds International who hold the debt.
                • Fast forward to January and still no sign of any evidence this debt even exists other than an e-mail from Carters saying 'I would have had proof about this in the past' and that them requesting this information again was almost like they were doing me a favour lol.
                • Defense was accepted by the court and the claim progressed firstly to mediation stage, which I had to decline as Lowell still didn't provide me with evidence of the debt.
                • I receive a letter on 8th Feb saying it's been passed to my local court for a hearing date of 8th March...

Under directions it states the following

"THE PARTIES SHALL SEND THE COURT AND EACH OTHER 'NO LATER THAN 14 DAYS BEFORE THE HEARING' ANY WRITTEN STATEMENTS OF EVIDENCE OF THEMSELVES AND ANY OTHER WITNESSES WHOSE EVIDENCE IS RELIED ON IN SUPPORT OF THE CLAIM' AND ANY DOCUMENTS WHICH THEY PROPOSE TO RELY ON AT THE HEARING. IT IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE THAT THE PARTIES DO COMPLY WITH THIS DIRECTION, OTHERWISE THE COURT WILL CONSIDER WHETHER THE CLAIM OF A CLAIMANT WHO HAS NOT COMPLIED SHOULD BE STRUCK OUT OR A DEFENCE WHO HAS NOT COMPLIED SHOULD BE STRUCK OUT. THERE IS ALSO A RISK OF THE HEARING HAVING TO BE ADJOURNED AND THE PARTY AT FAULT PAYING THE COSTS RELATED TO THIS AS A RESULT"

Now I calculate this date as being tomorrow, I myself have not submitted a defense as it was going to be on the back of any evidence that Carter was to provide over this debt being valid, being that they have had near three months since issuing the court proceedings to prove the debt exists where do we go from here?

I cannot defend something that may not even exist but the court is wanting a defense of some sort from me, do I send something in to cover myself or do I just sit quiet and hope that Carter hang themselves by not following the court directions?
                How did you get on? We are going to court today, same people, same run around

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X