• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - Arrow Guernsey Ltd/ RBS - Judgement aside if I pay 50% debt. Help pls!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim - Arrow Guernsey Ltd/ RBS - Judgement aside if I pay 50% debt. Help pls!

I need help and advice please as to whether you think I was fairly treated at this hearing and whether or not you think I have good grounds to make a successful appeal.

Received a claim? Papers were sent to my address but I did not receive them
    Issue Date: 19-08-2014
    Amount approx: £9,464.19
    Claimant: Arrow Global Guernsey Ltd
    Solicitor: Blake Lapthorn
    Original Credit: Royal Bank Scotland

Awarded by default: 16/08/2012
    Filed Defence to contest the default: 11/06/2014 (2years later)
    Defence Filed: 08/07/2014
    Court Case: 29/09/2014

Outcome: Judge said he would set aside the judgement pending that I the defendant pay 50% of the debt to the court for them to withhold whilst the case is referred to a 'small fast track claims court'.

Particulars of Claim:

So I had a credit card from RBS in Feb 2004. Apparently my last payment was 20th Sept 2006 and they proclaim I defaulted 26th May 2007. Now the debt was purchased on 15th Dec 2010 and a Notice of Assignment was sent to my previous address (the address that I was living at when I took out the credit card) on 17th March 2011.

Now on the 26th March Blake Lapthorn sent a letter to my current address on behalf of Arrow Global stating the following:
    Unless we receive payment of this sum within 7 days of the date of this letter, we are instructed to issue court proceedings without further notice. Any claim resulting in proceedings will include a claim for court fees and legal costs from the date of issue of proceedings.

Letter sent to the Solicitor Blake Lapthorn

So I sent a letter dated 30th March 2012 to Blake Lapthorn stating the following:

30th March 2012
    Arrow Global Guernsey Limited
    xxxxxx
    To whom it may concern,
    I have recently received a letter from yourselves asking for me to pay you within 7 days the sum of £9464.19. Why on earth are you asking me for a ridiculous amount of money that I do not owe to you? I would like you to clarify as to why you're requesting this absurd amount of money as I do not believe I owe any monies to you.
    I would therefore request under Section 78 of the consumer credit act 1974 that you submit the following documents to me:

1. True copy of original signed executed credit agreement including full terms & conditions
    2. FULL Statement of account
    3. Copy of the executed deed of assignment from (original creditor) and (Debt Collecting Agency)
    If I do not hear from you within 14 days of this letter I shall deem it as an error on your part and accept the matter as settled.

Yours Sincerely

xxxx

Documents submitted to the court from Blake Lapthorn:

Copy of Notice of Assignment which is addressed to my old address so there is no chance I could ever have received it.
    Copy of a letter sent to my current address on 26th March 2012 asknig for full payment within 7 days otherwise they will issue court proceedings without further notice.

They said that I, the defendant does not state which of the CPR provisions I intend to rely upon in seeking to set aside the judgement. They state that the defendant cannot rely upon CPR 13.2 as the Claimant hsa not erred in requesting default judgement against him in the absence of an ackowledgment of service or defence to the claim.

They said I would have to rely upon CPR 13.3. They also said that the defendant has not submitted sufficient evidence to conclude that the defendant has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim. The defendant does not make clear the focus of his proposed defence, and does not provide any evidence of his alleged disputes with the original creditor. The defendant has merely stated that he does not owe the claimant any money.

They then refer to the court of appeal in ED & F Man Liquid Products Limited v Patel [2003] EWCA Civ 472 held that the burden of proof falls on the defendant under CPR 13..3(1) to show that there is a good reason why a judgement regularly obtained by default should be set aside.

They said that I had two conversations over the telephone with them on 12th Sept 2012 and again on 25th Sept 2012 and they said that I had asked what was the debt in relation too and that they told me. They said the 2nd conversation i asked them to stop sending letters and they again informed me that a judgement was on my name.

My defence submitted to the court:

I stated that I want the judgement set aside because I do not believe that I owe the claimant any money. I ask to see the original copy of the credit card agreement that has my signature. I also claimed that it was 'statue barred' as it was so many years ago although I have no evidence to prove whether it is or not because they have not supplied me with any documents. I have also not had any contact with RBS or Global Gurnsey Ltd throughout the years.

What happened in court

The judge asked me why had it taken me 2 years to try to set aside the judgement and how did I find out I had a ccj on my name. I informed him that I had not received any claim form from the court and no letter that the default was placed as I live in a 'shared house' and for a while around that particular time I had experienced mail which had gone missing. I said that I had checked my credit status in June 2014 and saw that there was a CCJ issued by Northampton Court to do with RBS. I informed the judge that the 'Notice of Assignment' was sent to my previous address in March 2011 and that I had actually left that address in 2007 and the Electoral Roll will show that my name was removed from that address in 2007. So therefore I contacted the courts in Northampton to ask about the ccj, explaining that I never received any claim form and that I would like to contest it.

I said that I had responded to Blake Lapthorn in March 2012 asking them what debt are they talking about and showed him a copy of the letter that I have printed above. I was not asked if I had proof of delivery and I do not have proof of delivery. The judge said I have claimed it 'statute barred' but he said that it is not statute barred as the last payment was less than 6 years ago. I said I was not sure if it was 6 years ago as no documents have been provided which proves this is the case, only dates submitted with no evidence.

I said that it was my right under the consumer credit act 1974 section 78, entitlement to seek original copy of the credit agreement and to see a full copy of the statement of the account and a copy of the executed deed of assignment from the original creditor and the debt collecting agency.

I also stated that under Section 196 of the Law and Property Act 1925 that a notice of assignment must be sent by recorded delivery or registered delivery and therefore would like proof that the notice of assignment was actually sent to my previous address. The judge ruled that this was not the case and that they only needed to send the notice to my last known address.

Judge asks what happened when you spoke to Blake Lapthorn after judgement was awarded

So after the judgement was awarded in August 2012 I had received a couple of letters from Blake Lapthorn which I did not pay any attention too as I assumed it was still asking for the debt. I informed the judge that yes, I had telephoned Blake Lapthorn on two occasions to ask them to stop sending me letters requesting I pay the debt as it was harrassment and the judge said that Blake Lapthorn had adivsed me that I had a judgement on my name.

I said that I was unaware that they made this statement to me and that if that was the case then I would have contested the judgement at that time. I also said that without any evidence of the telephone conversations that what they state is merely hear-say and cannot really be taken as evidence.

The Judges conclusion

The Judge stated that it was not the responsibility that the claimant seek my current address and that he was happy that the Notice of Assignment was sent to my previous address was okay given that it was my last known address. He also stated that he believes that I had enough opportunity to contest the default as I should have received the claim forms form the court and that it was not the courts fault that I did not receive this. He also stated that given the fact that I had two conversations with Blake Lapthorn (I think I should have denied ever having these conversations with them) within a week of the judgement being rewarded and them informing me that a judgment was on my name, I have had numerous opportunity to contest the debt.

The Judge did state that however there was some problems with the case given the fact that I was not living at the previous address that the Notice of Assignment was made and that I am completely denying owing any money and so far that Arrow Global Guernsey Ltd have failed to provide a credit card agreement, that he would be prepared to set aside the judgement on the basis that I make payment of 50% of the debt which would total £4,732.09 within the next 21 days to the courts and that money would be with-held until the case goes to a 'small fast-track claims' court whereby the claimant will be able to provide proof of the credit card agreement.

I said to the Judge that this is unfair and I have no way to pay that amount given the fact that I am currently on Disability Employment Support Allowance and I have no savings. He said in that case I refuse the set aside judgement.

He then said to the Claimant that they are asking for substantial amount of costs, £600 and that he was unaware that costs could be claimed for in these type of cases. The representative for the Claimant said they were unaware of this also and after a little chuckle between each other the Judge awarded £210 in costs to the Claimant. I said you can award them what you want as I cannot pay and this is totally unfair.

I then asked the Judge if I can appeal, to which he responded, 'you may ask another judge or you can ask me'. I said 'okay I am asking you if I can appeal', to which he responded 'No', so you will have to ask another judge.

I asked him for a N460 reasons for refusing permission to appeal and I think he said that will be sent to me in the post. I am not totally sure of what he said as it was all a bit of a blur and I was fuming. He said that there was no need for me to write down his judgement as it was all on tape and that a copy of the tape would be provided.

Help

So where do i go from here guys? Do you think I was fairly treated? Will the tape be sent to me along with the N460 form in the post? What should my next step be?

I find it terrible that they can have this judgement to stand even though they have not provided any proof to anything.
    Tags: None

Re: Court Claim - Arrow Guernsey Ltd/ RBS - Judgement aside if I pay 50% debt. Help p

Did you ever send a formal CCA request (just get that bit out the way first)

he would be prepared to set aside the judgement on the basis that I make payment of 50% of the debt which would total £4,732.09 within the next 21 days to the courts and that money would be with-held until the case goes to a 'small fast-track claims' court whereby the claimant will be able to provide proof of the credit card agreement.

I said to the Judge that this is unfair and I have no way to pay that amount given the fact that I am currently on Disability Employment Support Allowance and I have no savings. He said in that case I refuse the set aside judgement.
    I know courts can do that, ask you to pay money into court as security but not as a 'otherwise I won't set aside the CCJ' 'blackmail'. I'll ask someone to look in for you regarding appealing the decision but my initial thoughts are that is a point worth appealing on, or very least making a formal complaint about, regardless of the lack of CCA.

ref the 'fast track small claims' it is either Fast Track OR Small Claims - how much is the CCJ ? ( £9k ??)
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Court Claim - Arrow Guernsey Ltd/ RBS - Judgement aside if I pay 50% debt. Help p

Hi Amethyst,

I am not sure if this counts as a formal CCA but I sent a letter asking what the debt was about and can they provide me the following:

1. True copy of original signed executed credit agreement including full terms & conditions
      2. FULL Statement of account
      3. Copy of the executed deed of assignment from (original creditor) and (Debt Collecting Agency)
      If I do not hear from you within 14 days of this letter I shall deem it as an error on your part and accept the matter as settled.

I do not have any proof of sending this letter although I did show a copy of it to both the judge and prepresentative of the claimant, but then again they do not have any proof of sending any letters either.

The debt is for jusr over £9,400

Comment

Did you send a £1 postal order with the letter do you recall ?

If the debt is nearly £10k it could be put in fast track where you would be at more costs risk, but so far it sounds like it has been in small claims following the costs discussion you mentioned. I think maybe the judge meant he'd fast track it in the small claims court rather than put it on fast track.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          Did you send a £1 postal order with the letter do you recall ?

If the debt is nearly £10k it could be put in fast track where you would be at more costs risk, but so far it sounds like it has been in small claims following the costs discussion you mentioned. I think maybe the judge meant he'd fast track it in the small claims court rather than put it on fast track.
          No I did not send any postal order but then again can I say that I had as I wouldnt need to provide proof as they havent? It was in the Cival Court. Sorry I am so new to all of this.

Comment

It's okay, you sound like you stood your ground in court just came up against a difficult judge. I'll come back to you on the 'pay into court or case dismissed' issue.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

It's okay, you sound like you stood your ground in court just came up against a difficult judge. I'll come back to you on the 'pay into court or case dismissed' issue.
              Oh I should mention that I had a chat with the claimants representative prior to going into the court room and he said that it was quite likely that the judgement would be set aside given that Arrow Global have not provided any credit agreement or proof ot the debt. When the judge made his decision I informed him even their representative was expecting it to be set aside given they had no proof at this particular time.

Can they really just outright refuse me on the basis that I have taken 2 years to contest the judgement?

Comment

They can, but it does sound like you had good reason. The two phonecalls are a difficulty though as there's no way of proving they didnt say they had judgment and it does look likely they did, timescale wise.

On the issue of the original debt - what was it and was there a dispute other than lack of CCA ?
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

They can, but it does sound like you had good reason. The two phonecalls are a difficulty though as there's no way of proving they didnt say they had judgment and it does look likely they did, timescale wise.

On the issue of the original debt - what was it and was there a dispute other than lack of CCA ?
                  It was for a 'Mint' Credit Card with a limit of £8,500. I am stating that I paid any debt I had with RBS years ago and that I want to see a full statement of the account along with actual proof of the credit card agreement. I am hoping that they have lost the agreement, therefore unable to prove that I owe money and that I win on that basis.

With the phone calls, I know it's late now but do you think I would have been better off actually denying I spoke to them?

Comment

Does anyone else have any input on this? I phoned the courts today and they said I would have to request a transcript and will have to pay for that. I was under the impression that a recording would be given to me.

Why does a default have to be contested so soon after it has been made when it lasts for 6 years. Surely you should be able to contest it at any time you wish so long as you have a good case for a defence?

Comment

You should get a written order from the court on the decision. The transcript would be useful to appeal, sadly it does come with a quite hefty price tag.

A judgment in default has to be set aside as soon as you are aware of it, within a reasonable time... as per the CPR

CPR 13 (2) In considering whether to set aside or vary a judgment entered under Part 12, the matters to which the court must have regard include whether the person seeking to set aside the judgment made an application to do so promptly.

You do need to be certain that the Judge only refused the set aside application on the basis you didn't agree to pay the £4k into court and not because of the time delay/not informing change of address/ not reasonable chance of success reasons, and the transcript will help with that.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

You should get a written order from the court on the decision. The transcript would be useful to appeal, sadly it does come with a quite hefty price tag.

A judgment in default has to be set aside as soon as you are aware of it, within a reasonable time... as per the CPR

CPR 13 (2) In considering whether to set aside or vary a judgment entered under Part 12, the matters to which the court must have regard include whether the person seeking to set aside the judgment made an application to do so promptly.

You do need to be certain that the Judge only refused the set aside application on the basis you didn't agree to pay the £4k into court and not because of the time delay/not informing change of address/ not reasonable chance of success reasons, and the transcript will help with that.
                        He refused it on all of the grounds except for the last part whereby he said he recognised there was a situation whereby the notice of assignment was sent to my previous address and the fact that no copy of credit agreement has been supplied, so therfore he is willing to grant it to set aside judgement on the provision that the defendant pays 50% of the debt to the court within the next 21 days. I said this was not possible as I cannot pay that, so he said therefore he refuses to set aside the judgement. I asked to appeal, he said I can ask him (so this means he had now refused the set aside) and he refused me the chance to appeal and said I can ask another judge.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X