• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Money Claim Online - Case set aside?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money Claim Online - Case set aside?

Hi,
    Im looking for some advice or help. I submitted a claim through the moneyclaim online service. I made a mistake on the form and ticked the box to say i would send "particulars of the claim" to the defendant separetly. However my mistake i didnt read that bit and failed to send them to the defendant. The defendant has filed to set the case aside ( or have it struck out) , i called the court this morning and they advised there will be a hearing which i need to attend. Does anyone have any idea if the claim will be struck out or what i should do to save the situation?
    Tags: None

Re: Money Claim Online - Case set aside?

I think you may well find yourself in difficulty. Since the Court of Appeal judgment in the Mitchell case, the courts have been rigidly enforcing time limits and sanctions.

The sanction for failing to comply with the CPRs includes striking out a statement of case, which would effectively bring your claim to an end.

The Court of Appeal said that if you are to apply for an extension of time, you have to do it before the original time limit expired, which obviously you cannot do.

The CPR Part 3 says that sanctions have effect unless the defaulting party (you) applies for relief and in considering an application for relief the court has to have regard to the need for disposing of proceedings efficiently and at proportionate cost AND the need to enforce compliance with the rules.

Best think you can do, I think is to make an application for relief, will be a fee (£50 I think), you need to do a CPR compliant statement explaining why you were in default and I think all you can say is that you're a litigant in person and failed to appreciate........

I wouldn't rate your chances though, sorry.

In all probability you will be ordered to pay the defendant's costs of the application to strike out.

Is your claim worth it?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X