• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - Cabot / Shop direct - 17-9-2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim - Cabot / Shop direct - 17-9-2014

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 17-9-2014
    Amount approx: 1484
    Claimant: Cabot
    Solicitor: Mortimer Clarke
    Original Credit: Shop direct

Particulars of Claim:
    by an agreement between shop direct group (SDG) and the defendant on or around 02/01/2004 ("the agreement") SDG agreed to issue the defendant with a credit card upon the terms and conditions set out therin. in breach of the agreement the defendant failed to make payments due and the agreement was terminated. The agreement was assigned to the claimant on 31/07/2008. The claimant therefore claims 1334.27

Stat Barred? No

Have sent:

Other Info:
    I can't believe that these debts are still haunting me 9 years after I couldn't afford to pay them. Some background- I had lots of credit cards when I was at uni and whenever I reached my limit they just upped it again until I couldn't repay them every month and I stopped paying when I left in August 2005. I eventually entered into a CCCS repayment plan in late 2005 but couldn't keep up payments with them either due to unemployment.
    In 2007 I became employed and made some payments again through CCCS but stopped in early 2008 due to another period of unemployment.
    My issue after this is I can't remember exact details. I started work again in sept 2008 and tried to set up a payment plan again with CCCS but lots of other issues meant I couldn't pay.I'm not even sure if I made a payment though the CCCS at this time or if I even added this debt to the CCCS plan. My contact with CCCS went on until March 2009 when they sent me a breakdown of a budget, but not sure if they had contacted creditors at this stage or if it was just a budget for me to see where I stood. At that point I basically gave up even trying to sort out any debts and I have buried my head in the sand ever since.
    I will be acknowledging the claim and sending a CCA and CPR request. Will any of these show me when the last payment was made? Or is there something else I can send to check statements to see if it may be statue barred?
    Any other advice would be appreciated. I really don't want to go to court to defend but equally I don't want a CCJ meaning another 6 years of not being able to get credit or a mortgage after going through all this for the last 9 years!
    Tags: None

Re: Court Claim - Cabot / Shop direct - 17-9-2014

Originally posted by Vicky7772 View Post
    Stat Barred? No
    I'd change that to "possibly" :grin:
    In 2007 I became employed and made some payments again through CCCS but stopped in early 2008 due to another period of unemployment.
    My issue after this is I can't remember exact details. I started work again in sept 2008 and tried to set up a payment plan again with CCCS but lots of other issues meant I couldn't pay.I'm not even sure if I made a payment though the CCCS at this time or if I even added this debt to the CCCS plan. My contact with CCCS went on until March 2009 when they sent me a breakdown of a budget, but not sure if they had contacted creditors at this stage or if it was just a budget for me to see where I stood. At that point I basically gave up even trying to sort out any debts and I have buried my head in the sand ever since.
    I will be acknowledging the claim and sending a CCA and CPR request. Will any of these show me when the last payment was made?
    In theory they should send you a statement of account, in practice, they hardly ever send anything at all.

With ShopDirect accounts from as far back as 2004, it's very likely there won't be a signed agreement since they didn't usually require customers to sign one before sending out the goods. Do you recall if you ever signed anything? If you didn't, then there's no way they could enforce this in court, even if it wasn't SBd. :thumb:

Or is there something else I can send to check statements to see if it may be statue barred?
    There is , take a look here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...233#post388233

Comment

Any other advice would be appreciated. I really don't want to go to court to defend but equally I don't want a CCJ meaning another 6 years of not being able to get credit or a mortgage after going through all this for the last 9 years!
      If the debt is SBd that's an absolute defence and if you use that in your defence, they onus would be on THEM to show PROOF that it isn't. If you never signed an agreement, they won't be able to enforce the debt even if not SBd.

In the unlikely event all the above failed, you can still avoid a CCJ with a Tomlin Order, which stays proceedings as long as you keep to the terms of the order. The terms would set out monthly installments you can afford in the long term, but we're still a long way from that stage!

For now acknowledge service, state your intention to defend in full and send your requests for documents, all recorded delivery.

The CCA request goes to the creditor (Cabot) with the £1 fee, requests under the CPR go to the solicitors (Mortimer Clarke) without a fee. Sign letters digitally using a computer font. :thumb:

Keep us posted if and when you hear from them (or not as the case may be) :typing: There's no need to chase the CCA request as non response can be used in your defence but do keep an eye on the timescales for your CPR request(s). :clock:

Comment

Hi all, Thanks for the help so far.
        I have had responses saying that neither parties has any of the paperwork and they will request it which may take up to 40 days. I have a letter from the solicitor saying they will give me a 28 day extension (on top of the 14? or a further 14 days?)and to send this to the court which I will do tomorrow.
        Should I reply asking for them to withdraw it from court until the paperwork is produced or go ahead and enter some sort of defence? Or just sit tight and wait a little bit longer?

Comment

28 days extension is to the defence date - so get the date your defence was due to be filed and add 28 days to that. Then send that date to the court as agreed between both parties.

Wait until 4 or 5 days before that extra 28 period is up then put in your defence.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X