• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Interest due on judgement debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest due on judgement debt

Hi

I have 2 questions regarding interest payable on judgements.

Previously a creditor made a county court claim against me for a debt I had and was unable to service at that time. They were already charging 5% interest but in their claim they put this up to 8% under section 69 of the county court act 1984. The judgement was then made against me on this basis. However, I have now seen that section 69 states:
    "Interest in respect of a debt shall not be awarded under this section for a period during which, for whatever reason, interest on the debt already runs."
    The creditor did not disclose that interest was already being charged. Was it then legal for the rate to then be put to 8% at that time?

Secondly, interest is simple interest. However, at the time of judgement and then later upon a further order, the creditor has added all interest and fees to the principal sum effectively compounding the interest at these dates, so later interest calculations were made on the principal plus fees plus interest. This does not seem at all fair to me and I would like to know if it is legal for them to do it. I would think that all interest should be calculated simply and on the principal only.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated. If I go back to court with these 2 arguments how will I fair?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Interest due on judgement debt

BUMPED for experts

Comment

Re: Interest due on judgement debt

Not sure about the 8% being legal but i've been told in the past you are not allowed to charge interest on interest.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X