• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help! Defence Strike-out in Personal Guarantee claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Defence Strike-out in Personal Guarantee claim

I am looking for help as I do not know where to look!

My husband is being sued by Lloyds for an amount on personal guarantee for business overdraft.

He had a limited company and applied for a business overdraft with Lloyds. This was in 2006. He distinctively remembers avoiding signing a personal guarantee for it.

The original overdraft was for 2 years, and required an extension to be signed in June 2008. There was an extention letter to the company in June 2008 asking for a signature, which was not signed. In June and July of that year there were enough funds in the account to repay the overdraft but the bank did not follow up on its extension letter.

2 months later the company was placed into liquidation. Once they realised this, Lloyds went after personal guarantee pupping pressure on my husband.
    He tried to reason with them and took the claim to Ombusdman. The whole process took almost 3 years with various appeals etc but the Ombudsman did not seem to even read the argument, siding with the bank instead.

Last spring Lloyds finally took it to court. My husband's defence was:
    • the personal guarantee document appears irregular - no initials on pages or numbers, nothing to suggest they are not 4 separate pages
    • on ne page it is called "guarantee", on another it is "deed", and it is also an indemnity. The document is confusing and does not comply with banking code for such documents
    • as my husband remembers resisting signing the personal guarantee, it is not clear how it was obtained. then internal bank record only starts 17 days after the date on he personal guarantee
    • at no point was he advised to take independent legal advice. There is no section in the personal guarantee document suggesting to take legal advice
    • the copy of the original business overdraft agreement has not been produced
    • the only credit agreement document produced is the overdraft extension letter signed by bank manager with no other signatures

Based on the above, in August my husband made a 31.14 request for the missing documents: a more convincing copy of the personal guarantee, the original executed business credit agreement and the signed overdraft extension offer letter. The bank simply ignored this.

He then sent another request last month, saying that if they do not comply within 14 days, he is intending to apply for the claim to be struck out.

2 weeks later he received a strike-out application from Lloyds solicitor via the court. They did not provide any additional documentation, only a long opinion about why they think they are right and that the defence should be struck out. The strike out hearing is later this month.

What does he say in court? We have absolutely no funds for legal representation, so he has to defend himself.

Lloyds Solicitors say that Lloyds has the signed original PG but how can the defendent see this original?
    Also, do the document irregularities matter since this is not consumer credit?
    Also, they say becuase he was the director of the company and also the guarantor, he is assumed not to require any legal advice.

Is this right? How can a person with only school education and only 2 years of business experience be deemed legally competent to the degree of not requiring any advice?

Also, if the original credit agreement/executed extension do not exist but there is a bank record that the company was using the overdraft, is the debt still valid and PG still triggered?

Sorry for a long post but I just do not know where to look for strategies here.

We obviously do not want a summary judgement based on stuck-out defence, and as a minimum, want a full hearing!

Thank you!
    Tags: None

Re: Help! Defence Strike-out in Personal Guarantee claim

Im interested in seeing where this goes i signed a guarantee for an overdraft for the limited company i had i have heard nothing from bank in 3 years it was for nearly 30k i like the OP have no funds to pay it backany one on here had any experience of this mine is not with the same bank

Comment

Who are the soloicitors representing Lloyds ......It wouldn't be a Mr Jones of DWF LLP would it.............if so be careful .............he is a very devious person IMO.........as a note......Lloyds must produce the original signed persoal guarantee documet to the Court ...a copy will not suffice in a case like this......as signatures can be copied and pasted onto documents.

Sparkie.

Anything I say is my personal opinion and not to be taken as absolute fact .......but only advice to be very careful and check the documents VERY closely.

Sparkie

Comment

To be clear, your husband is alleged to have made a personal guarantee on business overdraft which he denies, after argee-bargee the bank are trying to enforce it through the courts, you made a request for disclosure under CPR31.14, instead of complying your bank is trying to get the defence struck out and get an statutory judgement in return?

Comment

Yes Alham, this is correct. The strike-out appllication was a direct and very quick response to CPR31.14 request. The bank solicitors are also of an opinion that they do not need to produce either the original business credit agreement or an executed extension agreement. And that the defence to their original claim was not acceptable (it stated no recollection of signing a PG and citing the lack of documentation on the business loan itself, default on which presumabely was the trigger for the PG).

Comment

Sparkie, the solicitors are Foot Anstey.

Comment

when is the court date as we need a witness statement or a part 18 request quick

Comment

Court date is 30 November. Do we request the same document again as were requested in 31.14 request?

Comment

Did the bank come back with any witness statement, what defence did you submit to the banks claim

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X