• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot/Restons hearing - advice would be welcome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot/Restons hearing - advice would be welcome

Evening
    This is wee bit longwinded but I am hoping that it covers any questions that may be posted, I'll try and summarise as below-
    12/07/2011 Took out credit card with Tesco - digitally signed.
    22/05/2014 Last payment on account of £70.00 left a balance of £2672.95. No further correspondence from Tesco at all, this was an online account.
    Dated 24/12/2016 Cabot letter chasing this debt - duly ignored ( possibly more Cabot letters after )
    Dated 05/05/2017 Pre-court letter from Restons
    Dated 11/05/2017 Restons Financial statement completed online offering £50.00 per month
    Dated 18/05/2017 Letter to Restons chasing offer of payment with my email address for speeding up responses.
    Dated 18/05/2017 Restons refuse offer.
    Dated 30/05/2017 Letter to Requesting copy of agreement, statements and any proof of deliveries, again with my email address.
    Dated 05/06/2017 Restons acknowledge last letter stating that 'we are under no obligation to provide you with documentation'.
    Dated 15/06/2017 Claim for £2672.95 in the CCBC plus costs of £185.00
    The Claimant claims payment of the overdue balance from the defendant under a contract between the defendant and Tesco Personal Finance plc dated on or about Jul 12 2011 and assigned to the claimant on Nov 16 2016.
    Defence filed online and in a panic!-
    I have not received a copy of the the credit agreement nor any invoices/transactions.
    I had no recollection of an account with Tesco!
    Dated 04/07/2017 Restons letter, various comments including-
    'In line with the terms and conditions of the credit agreement, the original creditor had a contractual right of assignment. I CAN'T FIND ANY SUCH STATEMENT IN THE CREDIT AGREEMENT OR TERMS AND CONDITIONS. I checked this after receiving the copy agreement from Restons.
    We are not aware of any properly constituted request having been made pursuant to S77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Please therefore provide us with evidence that a valid request has been made to the creditor and that the appropriate statutory fee has been paid.
    Dated 18/07/2017 Statutory request made under the CCA 1974 S77/78 to Restons and Cabot.
    Dated 24/07/2017 Restons acknowledge request.
    Dated 30/08/2017 Restons letter, with credit agreement ( tick for a signature ). Statements ( never received before ), no default notice and several letters from Cabot.
    Dated 05/09/2017 I request by letter to Restons a copy of the original signed credit agreement.
    Dated 11/09/2017 Restons replied stating the agreement was signed electronically and are awaiting instructions from their clients.
    Dated 05/01/2018 Restons offering settlement of £1428.97.
    Dated 14/05/2018 Letter to Restons requesting a credit agreement with my signature on and a copy of the deed of assignment.
    Dated 14/06/2018 Restons demanding that I withdraw my defence otherwise they would apply to strike out my defence.
    Dated 18/06/2018 Letter to Restons requesting a credit agreement with my signature on and a copy of the deed of assignment.
    Dated 22/06/2018 Restons stating that electronic copy of credit agreement is legally valid and the deed of assignment is confidential and it would be a breach of data to provide it. Again they demand the defence is withdrawn.
    Dated 25/06/2018 Letter to Restons requesting a redacted copy of the deed of assignment to prove Cabot's ownership of the debt. I also ask them to quote case law that supports their right to withhold evidence.
    Dated 04/07/2018 Restons state their position remains the same.
    Dated 24/07/2018 Restons apply to have the defence to be struck out ex-parte and further costs of £1179.00
    Dated 27/07/2018 I put a statement into court, stating all the points above requesting that the deed of assignment be produced and that the hearing is not ex-parte.
    The only thing omitted from my statement was there was that there was no mention of the creditors right to assign the debt.

Court hearing 05/09/2018 to hear Restons application for costs and striking out of my defence.

Tags: None

jaguarsuk

Comment

Morning
      An update after trawling through all paperwork received from Restons and my old emails.
      The credit agreement was not an online application as stated and produced by Restons, it was in fact a paper application posted out by Tesco and confirmed by an email from Tesco.
      There was no notice of assignment, nor has one be produced by Tesco.

Thanks and I hope a little bit of advice will come my way?

Comment

Hi, if no advice is available then does anyone know of a competent solicitor base in Lincoln who can be employed on this matter?

Comment

Hiya, I'll move you to the live claims forum and have a read back, see where you're at Apologies you haven't had a reply up to now - holiday time I guess xx
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Okay.

So you have a hearing on the 5th Sept of Restons application to strike out your defence, you have submitted a WS in response to the application ( hence the hearing rather than it being ex-parte). The claim was brought in June 2017 and was stayed following your defence.

What costs are they applying for?

Have you prepared an amended defence based on the information they have provided ( the digital agreement that is incorrect as you applied on paper?) Default Notice, notice of assignment, statements. You'll need to show your defence is valid and has a reasonable prospect of success ( so need to see your defence really ) - if your defence has fallen away in part or changed since documents have been provided you should be asking to amend the defence accordingly.

The credit agreement was not an online application as stated and produced by Restons, it was in fact a paper application posted out by Tesco and confirmed by an email from Tesco.
            Where did that info come from ? Do you have a copy or have you sent a SAR to Tesco? or just asked them about the account recently while sorting this out?

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hi

Thank you for your kind response.

[QUOTE=Amethyst;n1421120]Okay.

So you have a hearing on the 5th Sept of Restons application to strike out your defence, you have submitted a WS in response to the application ( hence the hearing rather than it being ex-parte). The claim was brought in June 2017 and was stayed following your defence.

What costs are they applying for?
              £1179.00 for hourly rate of fee earners for letters/emails including £255 court fees.

Have you prepared an amended defence based on the information they have provided ( the digital agreement that is incorrect as you applied on paper?) Default Notice, notice of assignment, statements. You'll need to show your defence is valid and has a reasonable prospect of success ( so need to see your defence really ) - if your defence has fallen away in part or changed since documents have been provided you should be asking to amend the defence accordingly.
              No I haven't prepared an amended defence, but based on reading through other posts and the facts, my first draft will be based on
              No communication was received from Tesco re. the state of the account.
              No default notice was served or received from Tesco
              No termination letter received from Tesco
              No notice of assignment received from Tesco or Cabot, nor one produced in Reston's statement or documents
              Upon receiving documents from Restons, documents from Tesco are evidenced, but show no wording for Tesco to sell the debt to a third party
              In fact Restons claim that it was an online credit application and evidenced an online form with my details and a tick for a signature, yet I have an email from Tesco stating that the credit application agreement has been ordered for me.
              A monthly offer of £50 was acknowledged and rejected by Restons, prior to the claim.
              Restons rejected my request for information as it was not a formal request with the appropriate fee, there was no indication how to request this information formally.

Where did that info come from ? Do you have a copy or have you sent a SAR to Tesco? or just asked them about the account recently while sorting this out?
              In an email - as above.

Am I heading in the right direction?

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                I have been on holiday and therefore not seen this, apologies you had to wait for a reply.
                COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

A short update.
                  Adjourned no order to costs, I'll post an in depth update next week.

Comment

Good news, adjourned until they can produce the required documents?
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Update
                      After a long battle with Restons they finally agreed to settle at £0.00, 3 weeks prior to the hearing. Good luck to anyone else doing battle with them.

Comment

They settled at £0 ? so both walk away and no costs and no payment ? Have they discontinued or have you got a consent order between you to bring it to an end ?
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                          They settled at £0 ? so both walk away and no costs and no payment ? Have they discontinued or have you got a consent order between you to bring it to an end ?
                          Hi

A consent order. Interestingly enough they had fabricated documents in their original file bundle.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X