• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help....School Fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was chatting to a friend about this yesterday, and they made an interesting point:

Whilst I can prove that the class size increased from 21 to 41, I cannot prove that they did not keep a place open for my son. So they could say their capacity is 42 and turned a potential pupil away in order to keep the place open.
    So they are now at a loss.

Should I ask a question around what the capacity of the year is ?

FJ

Comment

I have now received notification that the case has been transferred to the local (to me) business unit.

What should I be doing now to get the case together ?

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer Jones View Post
        I was chatting to a friend about this yesterday, and they made an interesting point:

Whilst I can prove that the class size increased from 21 to 41, I cannot prove that they did not keep a place open for my son. So they could say their capacity is 42 and turned a potential pupil away in order to keep the place open.
        So they are now at a loss.

Should I ask a question around what the capacity of the year is ?

FJ
        Have a look at their prospectus and see if it's in there, try to find out without alerting them. Class sizes are likely something a private school would want to brag about.

I have now received notification that the case has been transferred to the local (to me) business unit.

What should I be doing now to get the case together ?
        You need to start drafting your Witness Statements if you haven't already started doing it and await directions of the court next.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

I have (so far) not managed to find anything with specific class sizes. I have managed to find the Independent Schools Inspectorate report which mentions " small class sizes". I am going through school reports this evening which may show class sizes over the years.

In the mean time I am working on witness statements as well, and my former wife may or may not co-operate with the witness statements. However I have copies of all of the emails from her to the school.

What else can I do ?

Comment

Nothing more you can do than prepare your WS ready to file by the deadline and serve.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

I havn't heard anything from the Court service, so I suppose I will get notification when the deadline is...?

Comment

I havn't heard anything from the Court service, so I suppose I will get notification when the deadline is...?
                Yes, you'll get an order setting a hearing date and this will contain directions usually to file and serve the WS 14 days prior to the hearing.

Comment

I am working on the witness statements at the moment, and am waiting for the paperwork from the court. In the mean time I have been researching the class size challenge.

From a number of websites I have found the headmaster quoting "small class sizes" and one page as " an average class size of 16 pupils".

Speaking to a friend over the weekend, it has now occurred to me that the answer to this all is in the current class sizes.

The year has gone from 21 to 41. 41 is far too big for one class, so they have divided the year into two classes, 20 & 21 pupils.

Even if they held a place open for my son how could they be out of pocket ? What loss have they suffered ? After all he would have made the numbers up to two classes of 21 instead of one of 20 and one of 21...?

Thoughts ?

Comment

I am working on the witness statements at the moment, and am waiting for the paperwork from the court. In the mean time I have been researching the class size challenge.

From a number of websites I have found the headmaster quoting "small class sizes" and one page as " an average class size of 16 pupils".

Speaking to a friend over the weekend, it has now occurred to me that the answer to this all is in the current class sizes.

The year has gone from 21 to 41. 41 is far too big for one class, so they have divided the year into two classes, 20 & 21 pupils.

Even if they held a place open for my son how could they be out of pocket ? What loss have they suffered ? After all he would have made the numbers up to two classes of 21 instead of one of 20 and one of 21...?

Thoughts ?
                    Their terms state about them holding place for your son, not in a specific class just a place in the school year. The year has increased from 21 to 41, had it gone from 21 to 20 then their terms would have held wight, but it didn't it went up by 19. They didn't hold a place for your son, another pupil took it and was followed by a further 19.

It may well be they could have accommodated your son had you wished, but as the year size had not decreased they have suffered no loss and by their terms in replacing your son with the 21st pupil in the year you are not liable to them. Pupils 22-41 are irrelevant.

Comment

I am working on the witness statements.
                      The first one is from my former wife and indicates that she gave notice, the school accepted that (evidence being the email trail from the headmaster) and is in a chronological order.

My witness statement indicates the the events that occurred, including emails. How do I get accross my points about class size, section 9.11 and the 41 pupils above?

Thanks

Comment

I have not heard anything from the Court since they transferred the case to my local Court. Is there a time limit on this...how long does this usually take ?

Comment

Usually they'll get something back with directions/hearing date within 6 weeks from the directions questionnaire, sometimes can be longer depending how busy they are, but if you go past 6 weeks I'd maybe give them a call.
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I have not received a "directions questionnaire" ... should I have ? Maybe they have given up ?

Comment

Hi
                              I received a letter from the original court saying that the court had "lost the paperwork". However the paperwork has now been found and that the case is now being transferred to my local court. Letter dated 3rd December and received 23 December. In the same post I received a letter from the other sides solicitors saying that the court had lost the paperwork and due to their endeavors, the court has now found the paper work & is transferring the case to my local court.

This seems to have taken quite a while and I am concerned that loosing paperwork means that not all of the paperwork is now available. Surely this all needs to go back to beginning of the process as I am not sure all the paperwork is present...how would I know ?

Comments please ...

Comment

Hi all

I have now received a Court date for April 2019.

I have a few questions and will post these in the next day or so, aminly around proceedure. All help gratefully appreciated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X