• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with confirming if a debt was statute barred when CCJ was granted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with confirming if a debt was statute barred when CCJ was granted

Hi

Recently became aware I had a CCJ from lowells for a capital one debt. Judgement date 04 Jun 2015 for £1782.00. I have done a subject access request to capital One and received quite a lot of stuff back from them.

The last payment to the account from what I can see is made to the account 05/2009.

Is this when the statue barred time runs from or is it the date when default letters are sent out? A notice of default served 15/10/09 and Statement of default 17/11/09

I have never had any contact with capital one or lowells in this time.

There is no Letter of Assignment to Lowells just memo entries regarding the sale of the account dated 24/07/2014 and 22/07/2014. However it appears lowells payed them nothing for the debt as balance entries run 19/10/17.

There is other advice I need to ask after the above but I don't want to write to lengthy a post in one go.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Tags: None

starts from the last date you acknowledged a debt i.e. last payment or last letter regarding the alledged debt> you can if you did not receive the court papers at your address (usually you may have moved & the idiots at Lowells etc could not be bothered or ignored CRA address)

Set Aside Application cost £255 unless you are on certain benefits, but let peeps know the full details 1st on here

Comment

Thanks mike770. Think I might of posted this in the wrong forum section. So I’m correct that if 6 years had passed since the last payment on the account was may 2009. The account would have become statute barred in may 2015.

Comment

6 years England/Wales and 5 years Scotland of no acknowledgement of the debt i.e. letters or payments?

Comment

A notice of default served 15/10/09 and Statement of default 17/11/09
          then

Judgement date 04 Jun 2015 for £1782.00
          So it is unlikely a statute barred defence would succeed as it is under 6 years between default and the judgment ( the claim would be about a month before judgment )

However, it seems you had this judgment awarded against you in default ? So did you receive the original claim or was it sent to a previous address, and were you reasonably easy to locate ( updated electoral roll / credit file etc ) had Lowell bothered to look ? You could consider a set aside application if you believe you either have another defence or their was no reason for the claim to have been brought at a different address - then either defend the claim or arrange settlement once the CCJ has been removed (info Set Aside Application )

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi thanks amethyst. I am going to repost in the court action section in more detail and post up all the info I have. lots of differing info on this site and across the net on the point limitation starts.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X