• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice for a Claim Form from Lowells, not British

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iras View Post
    I can't request a SAR nor a CCA REQUEST to the CLAIMANT

but I can send a CPR REQUEST to the CLAIMANT’S SOLICITORS, is it correct?
    You can send an SAR to the claimant, but you should also do the same to Three. These have 40 days to comply and so it's unlikely you'll get everything before your defence deadline.

Yes, you can send a CPR 31.14 request to their solicitor.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post

I'm not sure you can do both.

If you contest jurisdiction you're telling the court that they've no legal authority to deal with the claim.

If that's the case then how can you simultaneously tell them you intend to defend the claim in their court (if you follow my logic).

We recently dealt with a set aside application for someone who said they contested jurisdiction (on the AOS) but the Claimant obtained a Default Judgment because they hadn't file a Defence when the court should have proceeded to a Hearing to decide on the jurisdiction issue first.

Di
      Well I'm not totally aware, but following you can see what is written in the "Acknowledgment of Service - Summary & Statement of Truth". Capture.PNG

Comment

The OP has already filed the Acknowledgment of Service stating their intention to defend all of the claim.

They've also ticked the box to contest jurisdiction.
        Exactly what I did! There where the option to tick a box in order to contest jurisdiction.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

Yes, you can send a CPR 31.14 request to their solicitor.
          So, now other than being able to send a CPR what else should I do?
          Shoud I start my defence on moneyclaim.gov.uk?
          Should I use the the example provided on legalbeagles?
          https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/

Sorry, but first time and don't want to mess up

Comment

So, now other than being able to send a CPR what else should I do?
            Shoud I start my defence on moneyclaim.gov.uk?
            Should I use the the example provided on legalbeagles?
            https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/

Sorry, but first time and don't want to mess up
            You can't start your defence until you know what if anything the CPR 31.14 request returns.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

You can't start your defence until you know what if anything the CPR 31.14 request returns.
              Do not delay your defence because nothing has turned up. You need to follow the court timeline which is 33 days from the date on the claim form for filing a defence.

You nay have to start your defence if they do not send anything

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post

Do not delay your defence because nothing has turned up. You need to follow the court timeline which is 33 days from the date on the claim form for filing a defence.

You nay have to start your defence if they do not send anything
                They haven't even sent the CPR 31.14 yet and have until the 5th March 2018 (33rd day falls on a Sunday) to file, personally I'd get on with the sending of the request and SAR's before worrying about my defence at this stage.

Comment

My point was
                  You said you can not file a defence without a response to a car 31.14 request - that is false and possibly misleading information which could land the OP with a default judgement

Technically it's 4pm on Monday 5th March for filing a defence

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
                    My point was
                    You said you can not file a defence without a response to a car 31.14 request - that is false and possibly misleading information which could land the OP with a default judgement

Technically it's 4pm on Monday 5th March for filing a defence
                    No, that is false. I said
                    Obviously they can if they want, but I wouldn't.

The loss of 9 days to the 22nd of February (2 working days deemed service plus the 7 calendar days response from today) while awaiting a response of the 31.14 request will neither harm the OP or lead to a default judgement therefore suggesting they wait isn't misleading. The OP will still have 11 calendar days to compile and file their defence.

If the OP didn't have so much time to file I would agree with you, but there's no need to rush anything IMHO. More haste, less speed is sometimes a more efficient use of time.
                    Last edited by jaguarsuk; 13th February 2018, 16:38:PM.

Comment

start your defence and amend it to the situation 48 hrs before due to submit, do not send it in earlier, no CPR etc then you mention in defence i.e.:-Â* on xxxÂ* Â*xxx date I requested CPR31.14 or whatever and no response received in regards of request, do not worry as most do not respond but later in court stage they can be ordered by Judge to supply id necessary, also send RECORDED DELIVERY and keep copy of all request and receipts.
                      Last edited by MIKE770; 13th February 2018, 17:24:PM. Reason: ADDENDUM

Comment

Exactly what I did! There where the option to tick a box in order to contest jurisdiction.

Since you ticked the box to contest jurisdiction you will need to follow the legal procedure for that which is explained here (i.e. an Application within 14 days) if that is your intention >

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...es/part11#11.1

My earlier point was you can't do both things (Defend and contest jurisdiction) at the same time.

Either you want the court to decide that you owe the money to the Claimant (or not) or you want the court to consider your dispute that they (the court) have no right to try this claim so they can't make that decision (whether you owe the money or not).

You can call NCCBC for clarification of the next steps now that you have filed your AOS.

Di

Comment

Either you want the court to decide that you owe the money to the Claimant (or not) or you want the court to consider your dispute that they (the court) have no right to try this claim so they can't make that decision (whether you owe the money or not).
                          Thanks for the clarification. From your point of view, which one of the two would you advice on?

Comment

Ok, I've sent the CPR, hopefully it will reach the UK in time.

Just last question, based on the clarification made by Diana M , which way should I undertake, Defend or Contest Jurisdiction?
                            Which way, given my situation, should give me more chances?

Thanks everyone for the info.

Comment

Hello, anyone willing to give me some advice on which route would be better?

Thanks again

Comment

Not something I feel comfortable doing but didn't you say you have already acknowledged the claim and ticked both?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X