• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - LOWELL PORTFOLIO I LTD / HALIFAX - 18-12-2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
    R0b However, surely if you are saying there was no DN then how can you argue it did not say it was served under S87(1) so to speak
    Sorry Warwick, not sure I understand your question, can you elaborate?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      Hello

This might be a bit late (hopefully not) but a few drafting points and some other suggestions to include in the defence.

* Don't use the word 'I' but instead say the Defendant
      * Don't use capital letters so where you references Lowell Solicitors and Lowell Portfolio and Halifax I would put them in lower case, not all capitals e.g. Lowell Solicitors and Halifax and Lowell Portfolio etc.

Additions to include as part of your defence

I don't think this has any particular relevance, do you?

You may wish to cover this off in slightly more detail. For example, you could say:

1. In this Defence:

(a) any allegation which is not admitted by the Defendant, the Claimant is required to prove;

(b) all allegations that are not specifically pleaded to by the Defendant are denied; and

(c) entirely without prejudice to the foregoing, the Defendant denies each and every allegation in the Particulars of Claim.

You could expand this by saying something like:

"The Defendant denies that he was in breach of the agreement. The Defendant does not recall of ever entering into an agreement with Halifax for the provision of credit or otherwise on the date alleged or at all and the Defendant requires the Claimant to prove that such an agreement was entered into."

They have not actually alleged in the Particulars of Claim that a default notice was served. You could, for example, use the alternative argument to the point about never entering into the agreement you made in point 4 such as the following:

"If (which is denied), contrary to paragraph X, the Defendant did enter into an agreement with Halifax and was in breach of the same, then the Defendant will say that the breach is not enforceable.

PARTICULARS

(a) Contrary to s.87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the "CCA") the Claimant failed to serve on the Defendant any default notice;

(b) Contrary to s.88 of the CCA and Regulation 2(2)(a) of the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 ("the Regulations"), the default notice served on the Defendant did not state that it was served under s.87(1) of the Act;

(c) Contrary to s.88 of the CCA and Regulation 2(2)(b) of the Regulations, the default notice did not contain the information set out in paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10 and 11 of Schedule 2 to the Regulations;

(d) Contrary to s.88 of the Act and Regulation 2(6) of the Regulations, the wording of the default notice failed to reproduce the wording of the Schedule to the Regulations without alteration or addition;

(e) Contrary to s.88(2) of the CCA , the default notice specified a date for remedying the breach which was less than 14 days after the date of service of the default notice; and

(f) Contrary to section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925, no notice of assignment was served on the Defendant. The assignment was therefore an equitable assignment not a legal one. Accordingly, the Claimant has no legal right to enforce the agreement in its own name.

(g) Contrary to s.78(1) of the CCA, the Claimant failed to provide a copy of the agreement."

If you use the wording in the second point I made, then you won't need the above.

That's just a quick starting point, there's probably other things that could be removed/amended but including some or all of the above beefs up your defence somewhat and quantifies exactly why they can't enforce their claim.
      R0b

maybe I have misunderstood, still trying to navigate around this new look and multi quote

In the particulars above point a) says:
      Contrary to s.87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the "CCA") the Claimant failed to serve on the Defendant any default notice;

So I take it this means total denial that any default notice was served

Yet in the following points the claim is that the default noticed missed all the relevant legislation i.e
      (b) Contrary to s.88 of the CCA and Regulation 2(2)(a) of the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 ("the Regulations"), the default notice served on the Defendant did not state that it was served under s.87(1) of the Act;

(c) Contrary to s.88 of the CCA and Regulation 2(2)(b) of the Regulations, the default notice did not contain the information set out in paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10 and 11 of Schedule 2 to the Regulations;

(d) Contrary to s.88 of the Act and Regulation 2(6) of the Regulations, the wording of the default notice failed to reproduce the wording of the Schedule to the Regulations without alteration or addition;

(e) Contrary to s.88(2) of the CCA , the default notice specified a date for remedying the breach which was less than 14 days after the date of service of the default notice; and

I suppose what I was saying is, how can you deny something about a document you never received

It seems a bit like saying I did not sign an agreement but the agreement I signed did not contain the prescribed terms

As I say, maybe i am missing the point but do you see where I am coming from

Comment

Ah I see, it was something I cobbled together relatively quickly in light of the deadline that the OP had but I do see your point. I suppose what I was trying to get at was to say that the Claimant failed to serve a DN on the defendant and in doing so, failed to comply with all of the relevant provisions for serving a DN as well.

So it's a sort of two pronged attack whereby even if the claimant can prove a DN was served correctly, it then has to prove it satisfied all the provisions under the CCA and Regulations in terms of the DN being served.

Like I said, a bit of a quick draft and perhaps could have been better worded I suppose.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X