• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - LOWELL PORTFOLIO I LTD / HALIFAX - 18-12-2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim - LOWELL PORTFOLIO I LTD / HALIFAX - 18-12-2017

Received a claim? Yes

Issue Date: 18-12-2017

Amount approx: 4500

Claimant: LOWELL PORTFOLIO I LTD

Solicitor: LOWELL SOLICITORS LTD

Original Credit: HALIFAX

Particulars of Claim:

1) The defendant opened a Halifax Credit card regulated consumer credit account under reference xxxxxxxxxxxx on 26/08/2004 (The agreement).

2) In breach of the agreement, the defendant failed to maintain the required payments and the agreement was terminated.

3) The Agreement was later assigned to the Claimant on 24/11/2015 and written notice given to the Defendant.

4) Despite repeated requests for payment. the sum of £xxxxx remains due and outstanding. And the claimant claims
    a)the said sum of xxxxx
    b)interest s69 count courts act 1984... £xxxx
    c)costs

Stat Barred? No

Have sent: Acknowledged the Claim

Other Info:
    Hi all. I'm glad to have found this site! Although i feel i have maybe run out of time and am going to get scuppered!
    I've had my head up my behind and I'm just not sure what I can do.I also suffer with depression and anxiety the last few years but i do medicate to help ease it. i did acknowledge defence of the claim. But I didnt know what to do and have been asking people for advice to no avail as I dont really have much of any clue about legal business. Could somebody please help me?
    Last edited by fishoutofwater; 18th January 2018, 20:54:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Court Claim - LOWELL PORTFOLIO I LTD / HALIFAX - 18-12-2017

Hello again. I've had a look at some of the advice on here and it seems i was supposed to send off a cca and cpr request? is it too late for me to do so now with my defence due in a few days. :/

:

Comment

Originally posted by fishoutofwater View Post
      i was supposed to send off a cca and cpr request? is it too late for me to do so now with my defence due in a few days.
      No it’s not too late to send a s77-79 CCA Request.

Since you say that the Particulars of Claim state the credit card account was opened in 2004 it would be very wise to send one.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
        No it’s not too late to send a s77-79 CCA Request.

Since you say that the Particulars of Claim state the credit card account was opened in 2004 it would be very wise to send one.

Di
        Thanks Diana. I'll get onto that straight away. Should i do the cpr request also?

Comment

Originally posted by fishoutofwater View Post
          Thanks Diana. I'll get onto that straight away. Should i do the cpr request also?

Yes

Di

Comment

Hello again. Appreciate the help.

I sent off my cpr and cca requests. Highly doubtful i'll hear anything before I file my defence tomorrow though. (My own stupid fault I know ). With ref: cpr request. I asked for assignment, Agreement and proof of written notice. I hope that was enough.

Not quite sure how to proceed about my defence. Are there any example defences for me to get a few idea from.

Comment

Example Defence

Comment

Thanks alot Mike.

Should I post my defence here for examination by people of experience before i send it off online tonight or tomorrow. I think the 20th is the last day I have to send it.

I have been rummaging through all my paperwork as I tend to not throw anything away. I cannot find a default notice which I think should have been sent to me? I have checked my credit file online but i'm not sure if it should be on there or not.

Comment

good idea minus personal info, sure others will look over for you

Comment

Hi and thanks again Mike.

Ok I've drawn up a rough(ish) defence. Hoping somebody could give it a quick run through. Well, more than hoping

1. I received the claim xxxxxxxx from the Northampton County Court on 21st December 2017.

2. Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3. This claim appears to be for a Credit agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4. The defendant has no recollection of ever having entered into an agreement with HALIFAX for provision of Credit and until such time the claimant can disclose the necessary documents that this claim relies upon the claimants claim is denied.

5. The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

6. The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from HALIFAX to LOWELL PORTFOLIO I LTD on 2/11/2015. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

7. It is denied that HALIFAX served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.

8. On the 19/1/2018 I sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to LOWELL SOLICITORS. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the [Agreement, Assignment, Proof of written notice].

9. LOWELL SOLICITORS has not sent any of these documents to me.

10. On the 19/1/2018 I sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to LOWELL PORTFOLIO I LTD pursuant to section [77 or 78] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee. (77 or 78)???

11. The Claimant has failed to comply with [s77 (1) / s 78 (1)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of [s77 (4) / s 78 (6)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement. (not sure which one i need to remove)?

12. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

13. I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case else the Claim should stand struck out.

14. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

15. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

I hope I have not messed it up.. Appreciate it's Sat night and most people wont be around.

Thanks,
                    Last edited by fishoutofwater; 20th January 2018, 20:53:PM.

Comment

have asked peeps to look in and comment

Comment

Did you have a credit card with Halifax?

If you did you need to amend para 4 or else you will be making a false statement of truth

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                          have asked peeps to look in and comment

Thankyou very much. I am very grateful

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
                            Did you have a credit card with Halifax?

If you did you need to amend para 4 or else you will be making a false statement of truth
                            PM sent.

(Para 4 amended.)
                            Last edited by fishoutofwater; 20th January 2018, 20:55:PM.

Comment

Hi
                              Responding to your PM as per forum rules

In my opinion, if you did not have a credit card then say that however if you did and deny it at this stage which is later shown to be untrue , say by the production of a signed agreement, how would that look? If I were the Judge I might think, well they lied about that so what else have they lied about.

Clearly I have no idea if you did have a credit card with them

Of course if your credit card was with BOS and they have lumped the whole thing under HBOS then you could , maybe get away with acting slightly dippy and saying - I didn't have a card with Halifax , I didn't know Halifax and BOS were the same although that might be a bit tricky (playing the fool)

Just my thoughts [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] - yeah/nay?

The other thing is, in your defence, do you know what the legislation is saying, one problem is that the revised version of the The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.is not available online and is hidden behind a paywall of Westlaw. What is available online is grossly out of date

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X