• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please help! County court letter received.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roughly.... I'm sure there were other letters so add those in ( apart from genuine settlement offers marked without prejudice )

1. On or around the **** May 2014, I received a claim form from the County Court Business Centre, Northampton, for the amount of £*******.
    2. The claim is for a telecommunications agreement between myself and Vodafone Limited.
    3. The last time I had any services with Vodafone they concluded in 2010. Therefore if there was any outstanding debt, which is denied, I would contend that it would be Statute Barred by virtue of paragraph 5 of the Limitations Act.
    4. The particulars of claim fail to state when the agreement was entered into and I do not recognise the account reference quoted by the Claimant.
    6. I have checked my records with the credit reference agencies and there is no entry relating to any debt with Vodafone or with the Claimant.
    7: On xxxxxxxxxxx I made a formal written request to the Claimant solicitors requesting that the Claimant provides copies of all documents mentioned in the statement of case [EXHIBIT A]. I requested copies of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .
    8. On xxxxxxxxxx the Claimants solicitors replied [EXHIBIT B] to my written request without the requested documents.
    9: On xxxxxxxxxx I responded to the Claimant asking xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    10.To date I have not received any of the documents mentioned in the claimants claim form.
    11: I have been unable to find out anything further about this alleged debt and the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence that the debt exists at all.
    12: I do not know whether the alleged debt is for airtime/data or involved any credit agreement for purchase of a device.
    13: I have spoken to Vodafone however they were unable to find any records relating to me at all.
    14: Therefore I am unable to plead any further than in my original defence.
    15: The claim is denied and as no evidence has been provided by the Claimant, I repsectfully request the claim be dismissed.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks Amethyst. I managed to get in touch with the court this lunchtime and Lowell have paid the fee :-(.

Do Lowell have to send a copy of their evidence to me aswell as the court in the 14 day before hearing timescale?

Or do we only find out whether they have the documents at the hearing now?

Comment

Bummer. Ahh well, how you getting on with your WS ?

Lowell have to send a copy of their witness statement and exhibits to you before the 14 days deadline so you should know at that point where you stand.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          Bummer. Ahh well, how you getting on with your WS ?

Lowell have to send a copy of their witness statement and exhibits to you before the 14 days deadline so you should know at that point where you stand.
          I know! My partner just wants to settle now but i said we may aswell wait and see, you never know. Guess they will want the full amount if they produce the documents now it's come this far though?

Witness statement coming along nicely. Will post out tomorrow, do i need to send a copy to Lowell? Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by scoey1001 View Post

I know! My partner just wants to settle now but i said we may aswell wait and see, you never know. Guess they will want the full amount if they produce the documents now it's come this far though?

Witness statement coming along nicely. Will post out tomorrow, do i need to send a copy to Lowell? Cheers
            Sometimes they'll make an offer of settlement via a Tomlin Order, which can be done right up to the day of the hearing. See what their witness statement entails and what moves they make next.

But if you do decide to settle you want it by Tomlin Order.
            COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Yip, I def wait till you get the WS - what evidence / documents have they actually provided?
              £765.77 is a lot for a phone contract that didn't have a device.
              And the Default on the credit file isn't necessarily the actual default date on the account or the last payment date - have you checked back on bank statements or anything ? Any memory why the contract was cancelled/stopped etc ?

#staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                Yip, I def wait till you get the WS - what evidence / documents have they actually provided?
                £765.77 is a lot for a phone contract that didn't have a device.
                And the Default on the credit file isn't necessarily the actual default date on the account or the last payment date - have you checked back on bank statements or anything ? Any memory why the contract was cancelled/stopped etc ?

They haven't provided any documents yet, however i suspect they have them. Also while she doesn't have any info on the original default etc. i suspect it is in fact valid.

I'm going to send the witness statement today as it has to be there by Tuesday, Do i have to send it to Lowell aswell? thanks

Comment

Yes you need to send a copy to Lowell ( at the address for service of documents - possibly their solicitors )
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Morning all,

Well Lowell sent over their defence and it isn't good news. They have original statements etc. and details of when the debt was sold on.

They also quote the template used for my defence and state it is from the 'legal beagles forum' with a copy of the webpage etc. and ask that the defence be struck out due to plagiarism or something.

My partner is calling them later today to pay the debt in full (with help from her mum) :-(

Thanks to everyone for their help, i really appreciate your efforts. But luck wasn't on our side this time. Oh well, win some lose some.

Comment

Plagarism ? They really are getting quite narky about using ''templates'' - what webpage have they copied ? If you can do a copy of there 'defence' it would be much appreciated so we can see what their issue is and try prevent it in future. ( email me if you prefer - admin@legalbeagles.info )

The original statements all look correct and your partner recognises the amounts etc ? If so and there's no dispute remaining on the debt it is probably wise to get it sorted out, if she is calling to settle it then she should inform the court as well.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

They also quote the template used for my defence and state it is from the 'legal beagles forum' with a copy of the webpage etc. and ask that the defence be struck out due to plagiarism or something.

Have you received a Summary Judgment Application to strike out your Defence as having no merit?

Or is this issue raised in their Witness Statement with an Exhibit?

Di

Comment

My partner is calling them later today to pay the debt in full (with help from her mum)
                          Your partner needs advice on how to do that before she picks up the phone so that it's not seen as an admission of the claim resulting in a CCJ.

Di

Comment

How would making payment in full result in a CCJ ??
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

I think it is just in the witness statement. I am so worried now about what you say about admission of claim? Please does anyone know how she goes about it?

Amethyst, i could post the document later today tomorrow, but how do i blank out personal details, can i do it using adobe?

Comment

p.s they have offered her a 20% discount which ended yesterday, she was hoping to ring them and ask if it could be extended to today as she couldn't get in touch with them due to the bank hol.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X