• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hoist holdings ccj question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoist holdings ccj question

Hi
    New to this forum really need some advice !!
    Had an old Barclays credit card that after 6 years of no contact (moving and other stuff) after defaulting was 99% sure SB.
    received a ccj letter from Northampton last year Jan/feb from hoist holdings.
    Sent back defence stating SB.
    received a letter from the court saying that hoist had 28 days to present evidence if not judgement would be stayed heard nothing since 1 year has passed.
    Received a letter yesterday from howard cohen solicitor stating was not SB please fill out expenses form as the client would offer me a settlement figure if I don't reply they will apply to the court again !!
    Can this happen the letter is not official at all and has badly photocopied attachments .

Advice please
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Hoist holdings ccj question

Did you only plead Statute Barred in your Defence or did you plead other legal arguments?

Di

Comment

Hi
      Thanks for your reply
      No only statute barred.
      I've had no contact since the court letter stating they recieved my defence company have 28 days to produce evidence after that the judgement would be stayed that was 1 yr ago !

Thanks help would be gratefully received

Comment

Originally posted by Daiday View Post
        Received a letter yesterday from howard cohen solicitor stating was not SB please fill out expenses form as the client would offer me a settlement figure if I don't reply they will apply to the court again !!
        Can this happen
        Yes it can happen unfortunately.

Does that Howard Cohen letter say that they intend to apply to lift the stay and make an Application for a Summary Judgment if you don’t make a payment proposal etc?

So far you say you’ve only pleaded Statute Barred as your Defence. They say it’s not SB (do they give a reason?).

Any Summary Judgment Application would be on the basis that they are asking the court to strike out your Defence as having no merit. You would have to argue otherwise.

Check with NCCBC to see if an Application for a SJ has been made or whether the Claim is still stayed.

If they go ahead with a SJ then you may need to file a Witness Statement, and depending on a number of factors you may also need to file an Amended Defence to reflect other legal arguments.

Alternatively they may apply to lift the stay and continue with the proceedings so you will be sent a Directions Questionnaire to complete.

Cross each bridge as you get to it.

How much is the claim for which may give some indication of whether they will pursue this or not?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Daiday View Post
          Hi
          New to this forum really need some advice !!
          Had an old Barclays credit card that after 6 years of no contact (moving and other stuff) after defaulting was 99% sure SB.
          received a ccj letter from Northampton last year Jan/feb from hoist holdings.
          Sent back defence stating SB.
          received a letter from the court saying that hoist had 28 days to present evidence if not judgement would be stayed heard nothing since 1 year has passed.
          Can this happen the letter is not official at all and has badly photocopied attachments .

Advice please
          Thanks
          What are the attachments please?

Copies would help.

nem

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply
            The letter is attached
            I've also noticed that the default letter they have attached is a different amount to the letter they sent about £4k different !!!

I'm going to write to them requesting the evidence of the last payment
            And see what the date is.
            It's not the correct default letter and it's well within the 6 years statute barred.

Comment

It might make sense to send a Subject Access Request to Barclaycard to get the full history of the account so you can see exactly when the last payment was made and when (or if) a Default Notice was issued.

Once you have that information you’ll be able to check whether the documents they’ve produced are ‘honest and accurate’ since it appears the DN you’ve been sent may be a recon.

At the moment you’re relying solely on a SB Defence. You’ve put all your eggs in one basket.

My suggestion is to send a s77-79 CCA Request to Hoist with a copy to Howard Cohen if you haven’t already done that. This may give you another legal argument to plead just in case the SB one falls down.

However this would also mean you may need to file an Amended Defence which needs permission from the court unless agreed by consent.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X