• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** DISCONTINUED ** Claim form received Mortimer Clarke/Cabot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ** DISCONTINUED ** Claim form received Mortimer Clarke/Cabot

Hi there
    I've received a CCJ court claim form from the above to the tune of around £2500. Until last year I was using Payplan to pay this and other debts but then could no longer afford the repayments due to loss of job. I'm now a stay at home mum with 3 young kids so don't have any disposable income to pay this. I also don't really know what this debt is - suspect it is an Egg loan but not 100%. Is it worth me trying to fight it by requesting CCA? Or am I banged to rights because I was in a DMP and the last payment date would be only a year ago? The original debt/loan was taken out around 2007 - defaulted in 2009/10. Any advice would be helpful thanks.
    Tags: None

First Steps

Check dates
    Acknowledge Claim
    CCA Request
    CPR 31.14 Request

Comment

jaguar

Comment

Thanks MIKE770 - having read through the first steps I notice it says that most debts from after 2007 end up being enforceable because the paperwork is available. Therefore wondering if it's just worth me avoiding more stress than necessary. Would they still be open to a settlement even after I've requested paperwork etc etc - Obviously I don't want to pay any but I begrudge ending up paying in full. Or is it a good idea to go down this route just to buy more time? I don't want to give up at the first hurdle but I want to be realistic about the best outcome. I also want to avoid a CCJ. Thanks for your help

Comment

have asked jaguars to pop in and adviise you!
          Last edited by MIKE770; 21st August 2018, 09:52:AM.

Comment

Hello - quick update - I have acknowledged the claim, sent a CCA request and a CPR 31.14 request - not had a response yet but it's still early days (they will have received Friday) - if I don't receive anything - what should I do?

Comment

usual not get paperwork at this stage, just state not received here at the time allow a few extra days, read other threads and you may see a pattern these companies take/

Comment

try to get help again for you

Comment

jaguarsuk

Comment

Originally posted by poodlebetty View Post
                    Thanks MIKE770 - having read through the first steps I notice it says that most debts from after 2007 end up being enforceable because the paperwork is available. Therefore wondering if it's just worth me avoiding more stress than necessary. Would they still be open to a settlement even after I've requested paperwork etc etc - Obviously I don't want to pay any but I begrudge ending up paying in full. Or is it a good idea to go down this route just to buy more time? I don't want to give up at the first hurdle but I want to be realistic about the best outcome. I also want to avoid a CCJ. Thanks for your help
                    Okay, so you can try to settle right up to and including on the day of the hearing.

Add 33 days to the date on the claim form and that is your deadline date for filing a defence. Plenty of post 2007 debts are unenforceable and therefore you are doing the right thing by asking them to prove you owe it, if they can then you'll have to settle and if not then off the toddle.

If you receive nothing back then you'll file a defence based on the Example Defence and then they need to source the documents before a possible hearing at your local court.

After filing a defence you'll have the opportunity to enter into mediation, which if you settled at that stage would be a legally binding agreement and not a CCJ. Any communication you send about settling to them directly should be headed "Without Prejudice" and you should seek "full and final settlement." If you do have to propose settlement you should remember they paid about 1p in the £1 for the deb, so about £25. Now they certainly won't settle for that, but they will probably take about half or 60% if you need to pay in instalments.

It is your claim and therefore nobody can tell you what is right to do, I personally want to know I'm banged to rights before I agree to anything. I do appreciate though that I'm very comfortable dealing with these sorts of things and that's not everybody. Do what is best for you.

COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thanks jaguarsuk that's very helpful - I too would rather know for sure. So is it possible to settle with instalments without getting awarded a CCJ - this I did not know and would be certainly more appealing should they come up with the paperwork. I want to avoid CCJ completely as these debts have already cast a long shadow. Would I actually physically have to attend court? Not sure how that would be feasible with 3 children (don't really want to ask family to babysit as they don't know about the debts). I am up for finding out for definite so I will wait for now. Just another quick one - if I do settle for a lower amount is it likely they'll be less inclined to be nice as I've asked for the CCA - also if they only offer a partial settlement is that ok as the default is almost 10 yrs ago anyway so won't be on my credit file?

Lastly - I also have letters from Wescott about various other debts on the same DMP we stopped paying - some small some larger - am I best contacting them now or waiting until things get more formal. I just don't want to deal with this legal stuff for another 3/4 to come off the back of them.....

Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

Thanks jaguarsuk that's very helpful - I too would rather know for sure. So is it possible to settle with instalments without getting awarded a CCJ - this I did not know and would be certainly more appealing should they come up with the paperwork. I want to avoid CCJ completely as these debts have already cast a long shadow. Would I actually physically have to attend court? Not sure how that would be feasible with 3 children (don't really want to ask family to babysit as they don't know about the debts). I am up for finding out for definite so I will wait for now. Just another quick one - if I do settle for a lower amount is it likely they'll be less inclined to be nice as I've asked for the CCA - also if they only offer a partial settlement is that ok as the default is almost 10 yrs ago anyway so won't be on my credit file?

Lastly - I also have letters from Wescott about various other debts on the same DMP we stopped paying - some small some larger - am I best contacting them now or waiting until things get more formal. I just don't want to deal with this legal stuff for another 3/4 to come off the back of them.....

Thanks so much for your help.
                        Yes, if mediation fails and they produce everything they need to win, then you can propose a Tomlin Order to settle (costs £100) in which is a schedule of how payments are going to be made to settle and this can be instalments or lump sum. Effectively that stays the claim, but gives the claimant the protection that if you do not adhere to the terms agreed they can apply to the court for a CCJ against you.

No you do not have to attend court, but it is always more favourable to go and perhaps you might have a bank appointment that day as far as family are concerned?

This is a process and they are not going to view you less favourably because you are asking for them to prove it. The people handling this are just office workers making their way through a process as well, they'll process the request and if at the appropriate time settlement is offered they'll try to get what is best for their client, but realistically what you'll accept. They don't really want this to go to a hearing and actually when it does they rarely actually attend.

This question is important: When did you last make a payment to this debt if the default was 10 years ago?

Personally I wouldn't do anything with the others, they may come and they may not, so why not let sleeping dogs sleep. If they come along, you'll just come back here and we'll work through it with you.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

jaguarsuk I was in a DMP with Payplan until last year when we stopped paying as I lost my job and it all became too much with a then small baby too So I guess technically the last payment was August last year but not to the original creditor to whoever it has passed to since then - hence why I don't really know for sure what this one is. Because of this recentish last payment is why I think I won't have a leg to stand on in court and why they will all Wescott included eventually come after me.

Comment

jaguarsuk I was in a DMP with Payplan until last year when we stopped paying as I lost my job and it all became too much with a then small baby too So I guess technically the last payment was August last year but not to the original creditor to whoever it has passed to since then - hence why I don't really know for sure what this one is. Because of this recentish last payment is why I think I won't have a leg to stand on in court and why they will all Wescott included eventually come after me.
                            Okay the reason it was important is that we now know the debt is not statute barred.

Comment

If only

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X