• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Family member threatening court over financial gift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family member threatening court over financial gift

Hi,
    I've read this is quite common and have done a bit of research already but would love a fresh opinion on our situation please.

A couple of years ago a family member (step-MIL) of my partner's family (we're not married), asked us if giving us some money would help start my business. We were completely taken aback but yes, of course it would have helped, and they offered us the money which we accepted.

When the money was given, there was very little discussion over it and it was simply transferred to my account. I had said it would be used as start-up costs which at the time I was crowdfunding for. Once received, I sent a message to say thank you for believing in me, money received and order placed (order was for the start-up materials for the product.)

At this point there was no discussion about it being any form of investment or loan. No contract was drawn up and no repayment plan set up, not even the mention of it needing to repayed at any point. As we were already had some debt, we would not have added to it if we were aware this was the case, we're trying to become debt free and was the reason for crowdfunding and not looking at business loans.

The transfer into my account was labelled 'investment' but my partner and I assumed this was in reference to a joke made by my partners father 'well you can see it as a kind of investment in that when you make your millions you can look after us when we're old'.

since then, we had to move house temporarily staying with them at which point tensions began to build and my step-MIL was rather rude and continually criticised my parenting, and other things I did. I did however remain polite and never rose to it. After a while it became so unbearable I missed a couple of family occasions (once we'd settled into our own home). This seemed to cause a lot of problems with her with comments suggesting 'I clearly didn't like her' despite maintaining all courtesies.

Earlier this year year tensions came to a climax when she disagreed with us again and demanded to see the business books. This was a complete shock. In over 18 months she had never even asked how the business went let alone enquired about the finances. I didn't respond (my partner did, asking to to clarify assuming she was just being blunt but she assured us she meant what she said). His dad then tried to explain she was just being helpful but her comment was clearly rude.

we then didn't speak for a few months which upset my partner as his dad had also stopped talking to us and the children. To try and sort this out my partner and his dad were communicating but she got involved, blamed everything on me, and out of the blue demanded all the money back within one month or will take me to court and add interest per day.

I responded that we were never aware the money was anything other a gift and ensured I did not agree it was an investment/loan in all correspondence.

She also threatened us with removal of the last few items we had at their house unless we collected in less than 48 hours. My father had to do this as we were away, and she used this to try and turn my own father against me by telling him complete lies.

So, my question is - do we have a case in court?

The only evidence she has is the text message from me saying thank you for believing in me and my business, and the label of investment of the transfer. There is nothing else, and she can't even claim verbal agreement as repayment was never once discussed.

To me, it is clear she has decided she no longer likes us (simply because we pulled them up on their behaviour) and now wants all her money back. I'm hoping the court will also see this too. In her correspondence she has labelled me a cheat, a liar and even accused me of theft from my workplace, all of which is untrue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we've read mixed reports - one that it on her to prove it was an investment, and on the other hand, it's on us to prove it was a gift.

Thank you in advance.

How much are we talking about ? and are you in a position to pay ?

( You need to be able to move on and a court fight is going to break your partners family up more and potentially affect your relationship, and your children and their grandparents/step GP's etc - she feels she has a hold over you and seems to have some issues she needs to sort out with herself - if you don't need to be caught up in that, don't be. )

Court - I don't think you would have any problem defending, if it came to it, and we do see a few cases like this.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

My partner and I are happy to cut ties, simply to prevent this happening again. She has a history of falling out with family members over slight things and we feel that this is recent events would be hard to get past anyway.

Comment

It is sad, and it seems likely the relationship would have been difficult with or without the money - seems to just be being used as a stick to beat you with.

Has she put put anything in writing about her threats to try a reclaim the gift ?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

So - fact wise - the money came from your partners dad and step mum jointly, they approached you, never mentioned it being a loan, never showed any expectation of being repaid, and never asked for it back until the relationship broke down over other issues.

How long ago did they give you the money ?
          How much approx ?
          Had your partner discussed your efforts to start the business and ' needing investment' etc before they made the gift?
          What were you offering to people people on the crowdfunding site ? Were they aware of that and was that mentioned in their offer ?
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Yes she has mentioned in emails that she has sought legal advice, will take me to court and that I will hear from her solicitor.

She gave us the money in 2016 and it was around 3k. I was offering a range of things on the crowfunder, from the final product to experiences.

I believe they were were aware of needing funds because of the crowfunder as I'd shared it on social media and mentioned my intention of setting up the business. My partner said the money was initially offered to him by his father and in that conversation my business was mentioned then. After that she took over. But the crowdfunder offers weren't mentioned between us.

We never asked them for investment of even that we needed anything other than the crowfunder as at the time I was confidant it would work - or if it didn't that was the way things would go. It certainly never crossed my mind to consider family for help.

Comment

Ok, I'd not respond to any emails and wait for communication from her solicitor.

Any idea whether investment / loan etc was mentioned in the prior conversations between your partner and his dad ?
              or was it a case of they'd just got some spare money and were offering it to help you out generally and the business came up in that conversation ? Or he'd seen you were looking for investment and wanted to help ? ( it's likely if it did end up at court your partner would be a witness and have to put his recollection down in a witness statement - and possibly his dad will do similar ( under influence from step-mum probably )

Did you continue with the crowdfunding or was the £3k sufficient ?

As as there was no deadline / terms to repay then I'm not sure when she thinks she's going to add interest from ( as it can only run from the breach ) but presumably she'll try for the full two years - so total would be £3480 ish - cost to issue the claim would be £ 185 if she did it online, £205 on paper. Then she'd have a hearing fee of £335 as well to pay later on.

If shes he's actually using a solicitor then his/her fees would likely double that cost.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Apart from the mention that we can look after them when they're old, the term investment or loan was never used between my partner and his dad.

They came into the money through inheritance and seemed to just want to help, or at least that's what we thought.

In regards to interest, she said unless we repaid in full within a month she'd add 79p per day until it was repaid.

I stopped the crowdfunding shortly after as I had enough funds. Not all of the money they gave went to the business either as some went on general household costs, though not sure if that makes a difference. I'm also a sole trader.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X