• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can they expect me to travel 200 miles to a court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can they expect me to travel 200 miles to a court

Hi
    my ex partner has decided he would like to apply for full custody of our daughter. He has been having her for a few days a month for the past two years but has now decided he would like full custody.

He lives in Liverpool and I live in Bristol. I have received a notification from his solicitor about the court hearing which will be in his town on the 16th of August. Due to this, I have been unable to find a solicitor who is willing to travel down to Liverpool with me for the court case. I am unable to travel to Liverpool to have a face to face meeting with a solicitor located there due to childcare issues and lack of funds to make that journey which would include staying in a hotel. I do not feel comfortable talking with a solicitor over the phone, I feel more comfortable with a face to face meeting.

I have asked the solicitor if they are able to change the court to a court at a half way point between our two towns, is this likely to be granted? I really do not wish to enter in to this with out legal representation. My ex partner has a lot more money than me and has organised a very capable solicitor and I don’t think it is fair on my case to go in there without one myself.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by ZaraBrown View Post
    Hi
    my ex partner has decided he would like to apply for full custody of our daughter. He has been having her for a few days a month for the past two years but has now decided he would like full custody.

He lives in Liverpool and I live in Bristol. I have received a notification from his solicitor about the court hearing which will be in his town on the 16th of August. Due to this, I have been unable to find a solicitor who is willing to travel down to Liverpool with me for the court case. I am unable to travel to Liverpool to have a face to face meeting with a solicitor located there due to childcare issues and lack of funds to make that journey which would include staying in a hotel. I do not feel comfortable talking with a solicitor over the phone, I feel more comfortable with a face to face meeting.

I have asked the solicitor if they are able to change the court to a court at a half way point between our two towns, is this likely to be granted? I really do not wish to enter in to this with out legal representation. My ex partner has a lot more money than me and has organised a very capable solicitor and I don’t think it is fair on my case to go in there without one myself.
    It's unlikely the venue will be changed and perhaps the answer is to Skype with a local solicitor as opposed to a telephone call with them?
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Hi Zarabrown, if the child lives with you, your solicitors should request that the case is transferred to the local court where the child lives. I am not really certain as to why your ex partner has applied to the court for child arrangements order that "the child should live with him" and how much time the child should spend with you. I notice that the hearing was yesterday. What was the outcome? keep us updated
      Although I am a family lawyer, any advice given on this forum should be taken as guidance only and should not be applied to your specific circumstances. If you are uncertain as to your legal rights, I recommend that you seek independent legal advice from a lawyer local to you. Do not forget to update us on your case. Good luck

I work in Coventry on Mondays and Thursdays and Stevenage on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Comment

Originally posted by SandraF View Post
        Hi Zarabrown, if the child lives with you, your solicitors should request that the case is transferred to the local court where the child lives. I am not really certain as to why your ex partner has applied to the court for child arrangements order that "the child should live with him" and how much time the child should spend with you. I notice that the hearing was yesterday. What was the outcome? keep us updated
        Although I am a family lawyer,, any advice given on this forum should be taken as guidance only and should not be applied to your specific circumstances. If you are uncertain as to your legal rights, I recommend that you seek independent legal advice from a lawyer local to you.
        Although I am a family lawyer, any advice given on this forum should be taken as guidance only and should not be applied to your specific circumstances. If you are uncertain as to your legal rights, I recommend that you seek independent legal advice from a lawyer local to you. Do not forget to update us on your case. Good luck

I work in Coventry on Mondays and Thursdays and Stevenage on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X