• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small claims, judge request information

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small claims, judge request information

Hi all,

Im in the middle of a small claim against Anglian water due to my property being flooded on 3 different occasions.

However, when i first started the claim i stated i required £5000 for the repairs/materials that are required to my property to put it back to how it was before the floods.

the judge, has asked for a schedule setting out how much the money was calculated.
    i have to exhibit a schedule document evidence in support.

please can anyone advise..

thank you
    Tags: None

Do you have quotes from builders for the work or lists of materials needed .Just asking for 5K without evidence may not get the result you want

Comment

Hello

Based on what you have written, I presume that you did not break down the alleged cost of £5,000 hence the judge wanting to see how you have come to the calculation.

How did this request come about, have you gone to a hearing already or is this an order received by you or something else? Have you got a deadline to submit?

Essentially, what you have to create is a Schedule of Damages which is also known as Schedule of Loss. This can be done a number of ways but it should break down each of the costs that makes up the sum of £5,000. For example you could say something like the following:

1. Remove and install damaged carpets £760
      2. Cost of labour £1,200

And so on and so forth. Alternatively, another way of doing this is to set out the cost and then explain in a couple of sentences a description of the work that is required to be carried out:

1. Remove damaged carpets and replace with new carpet
      The cost of removing and replacing the damaged carpet is £760. This includes the cost of disposing of the old carpet, reinstalling new underlay and carpet plus the cost of labour.

I am guessing you have evidence of the costs and you've not just plucked something out of thin air or based on your own opinion?

The Schedule would need to be set out in a particular way, similar to how a witness statement should be set out but instead of it saying witness statement it should say Schedule of Damages.

Does that make sense?
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks for getting back to me.

Before i made the claim, i had a builder attend and give me a quote for all my downstairs flooring and woodwork, plus few bits in the kitchen which had water damage to.

I have been in touch with the builder who has revised the quote, and i now have this ready.

The carpet on the stairs needs replacing, so had scs round to price for like for like and have the quote.

there is also a wooden unit that was made for the fish tank that has terrible water marks on it but no longer has proof of purchase, also the tv but i have had not choice but to have had to replace that.

Comment

Originally posted by kass29 View Post
          Hi,

Many thanks for getting back to me.

Before i made the claim, i had a builder attend and give me a quote for all my downstairs flooring and woodwork, plus few bits in the kitchen which had water damage to.

I have been in touch with the builder who has revised the quote, and i now have this ready.

The carpet on the stairs needs replacing, so had scs round to price for like for like and have the quote.

there is also a wooden unit that was made for the fish tank that has terrible water marks on it but no longer has proof of purchase, also the tv but i have had not choice but to have had to replace that.
          Then create the Schedule of Damages as R0b has advised and with it send in the evidence which is the quotes, listing of a new unit or TV from where you intend to purchase them or if you already purchased them the receipts.
          COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

Then create the Schedule of Damages as R0b has advised and with it send in the evidence which is the quotes, listing of a new unit or TV from where you intend to purchase them or if you already purchased them the receipts.
            do i need to send evidence of the damage door, damaged flooring etc

Comment

Originally posted by kass29 View Post

do i need to send evidence of the damage door, damaged flooring etc
              Yes, because you need to evidence your loss and the reason you need to claim the sum to make repairs as quoted.
              COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

thank you all so very much for your help, will let you now how i get on

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X