• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ Question

Hi,

I found out today after logging into my credit file account I have a CCJ against me. The reason for the check was I got knocked back for a small amount of credit last week.

On the file it's to a completely different surname and to and against an address I haven't lived at since 2016.

I genuinely have no idea what this debt relates to and it's only really for a small sum of money. I assume the CCJ was assigned by default due to me not replying.

What are the next steps? Contact the court with the claim number I found on the credit file and get the details sent to my new address?

I assume that I can prove the debt doesn't belong to me I can get the judgement set aside and it removed from my credit file?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
    Tags: None

How come there is another name on your credit file is it one you used in the past?

Comment

Never used the name. This is why I can't get my head around it. It sounds like a a total guess. I sold the house in November 2016. Sent the meter readings to the new owner we agreed the final numbers. Closed my accounts with all the utility companies etc.

I have changed my address with all creditors and never missed a payment with any of them. So to have a CCJ on your file with the wrong name and wrong address is worrying!

Comment

Answers may be slow coming as its sunday but others will help

Comment

Contact the company where you got your file from and dispute what’s on your file, and I agree contacting the court to find out what it relates to.

Comment

*UPDATE* I sent a text message to the owner of my previous address and he agreed I could come and collect any mail. Upon review of the mail the creditor appears to be United Utilities claiming I owe them money for water services for the address. Firstly my wife paid all water bills and we even have a closed account letter with the mutually agreed meter readings. So its quite clear to me their is no debt due and I have never had an account with United Utilities even to this day! So what should I do? The latest letter from them dated 21st April 2018 says because I havent replied to the judgement order they are going to apply to the court for an attachment of earnings order. This is clear to me they have no leg to stand on. What I would like to know is what are my next steps? Contact united utilities in the morning and get them to agree to the fact I dont owe them anything?

Comment

Set Aside Application

might need this see what peeps on here suggest

Comment

Have united utilities got the address right? I was under the impression the water companies would cover a geographic area, so if you had a different water supplier company at your previous address that would be strange. Certainly worth contacting them and asking. Also check the account number on your closing account letter with reference to their account number that is on your latest letter.

https://www.water.org.uk/consumers/find-your-supplier put your old postcode into the link to find out the supplier.

Comment

The address is right for the property just the account name is incorrect. What I assume has happened is when my wife closed the account on the address they sent a letter to the occupier of the property. Fast forward 12 months and the new occupier finally got around to setting up an account with them. They would of submitted the meter reading for that particular day (not the one they agreed to on key handover) and gave my name as the previous owner.

If United Utilities actually checked their accounts for the address they would of seen it wasn't me but my wife who held the account and that all amounts owed had been satisfied and the account closed.

I think this is a clear cut case, it should be easy to contest. I will ring them tomorrow and explain the situation with a view they will set the claim aside and they will cancel all proceedings. If not, I will submit one and get it dealt with.

I will then submit a complaint to them to get it progressed internally. If I'm not satisfied with the result will seek losses via a solicitor.

Comment

That makes more sense. The person who lived at one of our previous properties done a runner months before we moved in. I was sent bills for gas and electric and they weren’t small. Despite phoning the company with the readings when we moved in the letters kept coming, fortunately I took photos with my iPhone which were dated and timed and also the tenancy sign up agreement had the same date as the photos. Never heard anything more after that.

Comment

It's a shame I didn't know about the letters before it got as far as a CCJ being put on my file. I seem to be cursed as something is always happening. I suppose what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Let's see what they say tomorrow. I will update the thread with the responses. I would like to think it's going to cost them more money than me.

All this could of been avoided if they did a bit of due diligence.

Comment

Totally agree. It’s a case of left hand doesn’t know what right hand is doing. However in business it is classed as an oversight/error! But with the consumer its avoidance or failure to pay.

Comment

So after a number of conversations with United Utilities the issue is now resolved. They are closing the account along with getting the judgement set aside all with no cost to myself.

We have also agreed a compensation amount which I'm happy with. It still worries me it's possible to get a CCJ even without any proof that you owe any money.

I'll keep everyone posted on the final outcome. However it looks like it's sorted. Thanks for everyone's help and support

Comment

So it seems united utilities have gone back on their word about compensation. They also seem to have made a mess of the paperwork and the CCJ was marked as Satisfied rather than set aside and then ultimately cancelled.

They have told me it's in hand and will be dealt with by the court in as little as 48 hours. I've asked for all the paperwork and regular updates.
                            ​​​​​​
                            So.. a question for you, do I have a valid claim for compensation? If so, does anyone recommend a legal expert who can help me with my case?

​​​​

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X