• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Financial (UK) LTD - Claim Form

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Financial (UK) LTD - Claim Form

Hi,

I have received a claim form this morning regarding a debt from Cabot.

The original debt was from a Vanquis account I use to have, I have never received an Action before Court letter from Cabot or anything else to suggest they will pursue this debt via the courts.

Can someone please advise what my next steps should be?

TIA
    Tags: None

Pre Action Letters
    First Steps
    Check dates
    Acknowledge Claim
    CCA Request
    CPR 31.14 Request

get the idea somebody will be along to advise soon

Comment

also give more information of dates etc payments, default notice taken out etc etc

Comment

Thanks Mike,

Bit more info -

Debt amount £359.25
        Defaulted - Feb 2015

Comment

Can you type out the particulars of claim as they appear on the claim form.

From there it is possible to decide what you can ask for from Cabot

Who are the solicitors?

You do need to make sure you acknowledge the claim which gives you more time to get a defence together.

Also when was the card taken out can you remember

Comment

Hi Warwick,

the claim form is from the County Court Business Centre.

The solicitors are Restons Solictors LTD. So it’s an Acknowledgement of service, Admission, income & expenditure and counter claim section all to complete.

the card was taken out in February 15 and default was August 16

Comment

Originally posted by Lefin View Post
              Hi Warwick,

the claim form is from the County Court Business Centre.

The solicitors are Restons Solictors LTD. So it’s an Acknowledgement of service, Admission, income & expenditure and counter claim section all to complete.

the card was taken out in February 15 and default was August 16
              You would only fill out the admission and I&E if you do not want to fight the claim. Also an admission would get you a CCJ

In my opinion never ever admit to it at an early stage

What I would be doing is

1) Acknowledgment of service with an intention to defend all
              2) Send a CCA request to Cabot financial with a copy to Restons
              3) Send a CPR 31.14 to Restons asking for documents mention in the particulars of claim- that is why I asked you to type out the particulars of claim so I could suggest what to ask for

I am not saying you may never pay them but at this stage it really is all about 'playing the game' . It is strategy

Restons will say you should have the documents in your own file- that is unimportant- they need them to prove their case , particularly a compliant default notice ( I understand the law around that I think) , proof of an agreement, proof of assignment - and depending on the claimants name they may be unlicensed and then there are other things such as S86 notices but I am not exactly sure how to argue those

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post

You would only fill out the admission and I&E if you do not want to fight the claim. Also an admission would get you a CCJ

In my opinion never ever admit to it at an early stage

What I would be doing is

1) Acknowledgment of service with an intention to defend all
                2) Send a CCA request to Cabot financial with a copy to Restons
                3) Send a CPR 31.14 to Restons asking for documents mention in the particulars of claim- that is why I asked you to type out the particulars of claim so I could suggest what to ask for

I am not saying you may never pay them but at this stage it really is all about 'playing the game' . It is strategy

Restons will say you should have the documents in your own file- that is unimportant- they need them to prove their case , particularly a compliant default notice ( I understand the law around that I think) , proof of an agreement, proof of assignment - and depending on the claimants name they may be unlicensed and then there are other things such as S86 notices but I am not exactly sure how to argue those

Hi Warwick,

The particulars are stated as follows

The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance from the defendant(s) under a contract between the defendant(s) and Vanquis dated on or about Feb 16 2015 and assigned to the claimant on Jun 30 2017.

Particulars a/c no xxxxxxx

Date 29/01/2018, default balance 359.25
                Post refrl cr - NIL

Comment

Hi
                  Incredibly vague so really the only thing you could really ask for in a CPR 31.14 request would be a copy of the contract

However within your defence you would also plead no default notice, no notice of assignment and plead they have to prove their rights to bring the claim , asking for the deed of assignment

I would usually say send a SAR to Vanquis but it costs £10 - at least until 24th May when the info should be free I think ( A European law that benefits consumers but let's not let the facts get in the way)

I think though, on balance I would still send a SAR to vanquis,

Did you have that horribly expensive PPI that Vanquis used to push , think it was called ROP

https://debtcamel.co.uk/vanquis-refunds-168m-for-rop/

Comment

Hi
                    Incredibly vague so really the only thing you could really ask for in a CPR 31.14 request would be a copy of the contract

However within your defence you would also plead no default notice, no notice of assignment and plead they have to prove their rights to bring the claim , asking for the deed of assignment

I would usually say send a SAR to Vanquis but it costs £10 - at least until 24th May when the info should be free I think ( A European law that benefits consumers but let's not let the facts get in the way)

I think though, on balance I would still send a SAR to vanquis,

Did you have that horribly expensive PPI that Vanquis used to push , think it was called ROP

https://debtcamel.co.uk/vanquis-refunds-168m-for-rop/
                    Hi Warwick.

So in the CPR letter only request a copy of the contract?

You mention within my defence to please no default notice, no notice of assignment and to prove their right to bring a claim - excuse my ignorance but how/ where do i do this? Within the CPR letter?

Would it be more of my interest to contact Cabot directly and ask for a payment plan rather than taking this through the court?

Also, there is a paragraph on the CPR letter that says :

''To enable me to file my defence and/or counterclaim, I require inspection of documents you mention in your statement of case ahead of filing my defence on xx/xx/xxxx'' .

What should the date be for filing my defence?

Last edited by Lefin; 24th April 2018, 21:33:PM.

Comment

I can not and will not give advice- I am not qualified but what I would say is there is a long way to go before courts happens and one step , if you follow the steps is mediation, that could be a place where you enter a repayment plan.

My worry is, if you contact Lowell they might send any letter to the court as an admission and you could end up with a ccj regardless.

The points I mentioned are what you would put in your defence. If you have acknowledged the claim, yoiu have 33 days from the date on the claim form to enter one.

If you are not sure of the process, have a read of the first steps link posted by mike in post number 2

If you look at the defeat defences you will see the entries about default notices and assignments

Comment

I can not and will not give advice- I am not qualified but what I would say is there is a long way to go before courts happens and one step , if you follow the steps is mediation, that could be a place where you enter a repayment plan.

My worry is, if you contact Lowell they might send any letter to the court as an admission and you could end up with a ccj regardless.

The points I mentioned are what you would put in your defence. If you have acknowledged the claim, yoiu have 33 days from the date on the claim form to enter one.

If you are not sure of the process, have a read of the first steps link posted by mike in post number 2

If you look at the defeat defences you will see the entries about default notices and assignments
                        Hi Warwick,

I completely understand, I wasnt asking for legal advice just more guidance. I sent the letters as mentioned and will keep you updated as it progresses.

Thank you

Comment

Good stuff. I just wanted to be clear that was all.

Comment

Hi Warwick, I havent yet received any of the requested information from either the solicitors or cabot finance. What should my next step be? Is there another letter I need to follow up with? I'm a little concerned that I wont be given enough time to put my defence in

Comment

Originally posted by Lefin View Post

Hi Warwick,

The particulars are stated as follows

The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance from the defendant(s) under a contract between the defendant(s) and Vanquis dated on or about Feb 16 2015 and assigned to the claimant on Jun 30 2017.

Particulars a/c no xxxxxxx

Date 29/01/2018, default balance 359.25
                              Post refrl cr - NIL
                              As per Warwick, I do not give advice and my posts should never be considered as advice or relied upon as a substitute for professional legal advice.

Just in case it has not been noticed, this appears to be a claim purely for the arrears (the overdue balance) and not for any accelerated recovery. The particulars quote "overdue balance" and a "Default Balance"

In which event there may not be a default notice but this may not assist you as the claim is not prevented by S87 CCA. Its been a long time since I had my sagas with debt, but I challenged a default notice and recall that there was a case with Woodchester that confirms the point that if a default notice is wrong there can still be a claim/award for the arrears.
                              I am not legally qualified and my comments and observations are not given, nor are they to be taken or relied upon as legal advice. Debt matters are often complex and public forums should not be seen as a substitute for professional legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X