• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ set aside advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ set aside advice

Hi there!

First of all - thanks for taking an interest in this one. I've been a bit of a moron and have found myself a CCJ for factoring fees which i hadn't been aware of and wanted to get some advice before i went down the road of trying to get it set aside.

I wondered if i might apply for the judgement to be set aside as i don't live at the address i was served at - i still own the property, but rent a property in a completely different part of the country. Is this reason alone to ask for a judgement to be set aside? I fully agree that i should have paid the cash to the housing association and so i wonder if i would get anywhere in the event of going to court.

The first i found out about the court hearing was when i had a bailiff telephone me which terrified me and meant that as soon as i found out i paid off the debt.

Any advice would be really gratefully appreciated.

Seriously, even if its - "wise up, you've been a total idiot".

Thanks.
    Tags: None

Morning,

I'm going to say that you might have an uphill struggle in trying to remove the CCJ having already paid it. By paying the money you have in effect acknowledged the debt and therefore thats the end of it.

In order to set it aside the best way would be to obtain the consent of the Claimant, but they are under no obligation to give their consent. Otherwise you would have to issue an application to set it aside that could be very risky in that if you lose, you could end up paying substantial costs. Equally, a lot of judges I have come across don't like to see people applying to the court so that they can effectively "repair" their credit file and I've seen some applications thrown out at the first hurdle as an abuse of process.

You can however obtain a certificate of satisfaction from the Court for around £15 which will update your credit file to mark it satisfied, but in any automated credit decision your likely to have problems with getting credit because you will probably need to explain your reasons as to how you ended up with a CCJ (something a computer can't do, yet).

Next time before panicking and paying up, you should look to make an application to set aside the CCJ first which will allow you to maintain your clean credit file if it is successfully set aside. Not receiving the Claim Form is usually a good enough reason to set it aside.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Very helpful - thank you.

Do you think with the consent of the claimant for it to be set aside that i would have a good chance of having it set aside?

If they gave this consent, would i have to face a combative court situation at all?

Best wishes.

Comment

Possibly. Approving the consent order to set aside the CCJ will always be at the discretion of the judge reading the application and judges in the County Court are never consistent so it would be a lottery.

Usually, judges tend to approve consent orders as it is the wishes of the parties who have both agreed to allow the application to be set aside but you may get one judge who can only be described by a four letter word, that will either reject the application or require the parties to attend a hearing to obtain further information as to why the CCJ should be set aside.

You are probably going to stand a better chance of getting the CCJ set aside if you make an application to the court by way of consent rather than without. The difficulty will be persuading the relevant person within the Claimant's business to consent to setting aside the CCJ. However, do bear in mind that the setting aside of the CCJ puts each party back in the position normally at the stage of filing a defence - the claim does not end. So as part of any consent, you would need to have a consent order drawn up to say that the CCJ is set aside and the Claimant withdraws its claim.

In the end, there's never a guarantee that it will be set aside.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

You mention Factoring fees in your OP, are you in Scotland?
          COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Yes i am.

Comment

If you are based in Scotland then forget what I said above as the information provided is based on a CCJ in England and Wales. I have no idea on how Scots law applies unless someone else on here can be of assistance.
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

ScottishSolicitor is your best bet as I know only a little about Scottish Proceedure.
                COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

This sounds like an undefended decree if you were unaware it existed. There is almost certainly the ability to recall it. What is the total that has been awarded?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottishSolicitor View Post
                    This sounds like an undefended decree if you were unaware it existed. There is almost certainly the ability to recall it. What is the total that has been awarded?
                    It was less than £900. I think some £600-700 of acrued fees with £200 of interest or so. I paid back the entire £900 ASAP to avoid any further issues without realising what was fully included.

Best wishes!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X