• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Paying small claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying small claim

Hi, new here and trying to find answer to a claim at work.

We have received a court date for early May, were going to strongly defend. However, the decision has been made to settle, but nowhere on the paperwork does it say what we need to do, what costs are involved in addition to the original debt, who we need to advise. Or is it simply a matter of sending payment to the creditor and it is up tho them to advise the court? Any advice gratefully received.
    Tags: None

Hi
    It would be remiss to just give blanket advice

Is settling the best option and would they maybe settle for a lower amount?

There are some cases which may appear a sure fire win to the untrained eye but when you look at it , they don't have a leg to stand on - just read some of the posts on here,

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...ing-v-shinybee

On that one shinybee was considering bankruptcy but with a good defence - well they won

maybe you would care to elaborate

If you don't want to share , if it were me

I would write a letter headed without prejudice
    In it i would make an offer to avoid wasted time and costs - dependant on what the claim is for you could start at say 50% of what they are claiming

However, every case is different - I also had a claim fairly recently which the firm Diana M works for saw off for me , and I had decided to fight it and if I lost then go BR just to p lowell off but it wasn't necessary. I am not BR and lowell are down not just the amount of the claim but they also had to pay costs
    Last edited by warwick65; 22nd March 2018, 09:21:AM.

Comment

Thank you Warwick, the dispute was over fees charged before agreement to use the consultant. We were happy to pay some of it, but creditor was not having anything towards a compromise. Tried to re-read the claim submitted to the court, gave up again,too much unnecessary detail submitted, which would probably explain the high cost of invoice to us in first instance.

Anyway, decision made that there are more important things in life. Will take your suggestion on the without prejudice letter, maybe offer to pay the original invoice but not any additional costs. That way both sides win, they get paid and we have made it difficult for them.

Comment

Would it not make sense to NOT put "Without Prejudice" on a reasonable offer for settlement? If it goes to court it can be shown that the defendant tried to resolve the matter AND if the claimant is awarded an amount similar to that offered then the defendant can make a claim for costs from the claimant.

Comment

The potential problem in not using "without prejudice" is that the correspondence could be used to undermine a defence.
          You should mark the letter "Without Prejudice Save As To Costs". which then allows reference to the correspondence when the question of costs arises.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            The potential problem in not using "without prejudice" is that the correspondence could be used to undermine a defence.
            You should mark the letter "Without Prejudice Save As To Costs". which then allows reference to the correspondence when the question of costs arises.
            If memory serves, there have been instances of a letter with the WP omitted has been put in front of the court as an admission

I'mfromLogie
            I see your point - my skills tend to be more based on consumer credit debt (which is why I was asking questions that may have seemed intrusive) whereas this is blatantly different

Comment

But this is a case when they are partially admitting the money is owed so offering what they think is owed should not affect a defence.

Comment

Not really sure if the claim is to be defended strongly (post !), or offer partial settlement prior to court as per post 3.
                If offer to settle is declined and case proceeds to court they may wish to defend total amount claimed so better to use WP.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X