• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Small Claim Court - Date Set

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Small Claim Court - Date Set

Hi

The date for my hearing is 8th March 2018 so need some advice on next steps. It relates to a 5 year old credit card debt with Capital One. I have sent CPR 31.14 Request Letter and received the signed agreement, default notice and formal demand. However Lowell did not send me at the time in their initial response, the assignment. They have now sent their court papers which include the assignment dating back to the date of the original default. My questions are;

- do i have a case for them sending the assignment out of time
    - am i better to try and settle out of court
    - i have submitted all paperwork via MOL - do i need to print anything if i do attend court
    - what are my chances if i do attend court on the 8th?
    - what is a witness statement and how and when do i submit this to the court/claimant?

Many, many thanks for reading and any help you can offer.
    Tags: None

On your hearing date letter, have you read the second page, which should say when Witness statements need to be exchanged by - it is usually 14 days before?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

the signed agreement, default notice and formal demand. However Lowell did not send me at the time in their initial response, the assignment. They have now sent their court papers which include the assignment dating back to the date of the original default.
      So they have provided all of the documents you have asked for now. Have you checked the agreement is correct ?

How much is the claim and were there any issues/disputes on the account other than the documents ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        So they have provided all of the documents you have asked for now. Have you checked the agreement is correct ?

How much is the claim and were there any issues/disputes on the account other than the documents ?
        Yes they have provided them now, not sure how to check for accuracy.

1500 - and no other disputes

Comment

On your hearing date letter, have you read the second page, which should say when Witness statements need to be exchanged by - it is usually 14 days before?
          Thans i need to check the second page, i don't actually know what a witness statement is though?

Comment

Ahhh it is basically a document outlining your actions in the case and what your defence is ... there's some examples here.... http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...ness-statement

When was the Capital One account opened ? They are pretty good at providing the documents and them being compliant, particularly anything opened after 2007 so it is likely to be right, but if you want to upload a copy we can have a quick look at it.

What's you main goal on this? Getting it out of the way without a CCJ being awarded against you and affecting your credit file for 6 years ?

You might be able to negotiate a reduced settlement if you do it before the hearing, but you would want to get an agreement in place that the claim is put on hold and not go to judgment unless you fail to make the agreed payment.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Ahhh it is basically a document outlining your actions in the case and what your defence is ... there's some examples here.... http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...ness-statement

When was the Capital One account opened ? They are pretty good at providing the documents and them being compliant, particularly anything opened after 2007 so it is likely to be right, but if you want to upload a copy we can have a quick look at it.

What's you main goal on this? Getting it out of the way without a CCJ being awarded against you and affecting your credit file for 6 years ?

You might be able to negotiate a reduced settlement if you do it before the hearing, but you would want to get an agreement in place that the claim is put on hold and not go to judgment unless you fail to make the agreed payment.

It was opened in 2003, the usual story of burying my head back then and didn't hear anything until last year from Lowells. I will upload the documents tomorrow - thank you very much.

The main goal is absolutely avoid a CCJ on my credit file. They have also offered a Tomlin order....

Comment

Cool if they've sent a draft Tomlin order can you post that up too
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

NO draft Tomlin just an A4 sheet with what one is and the possible option of one. I will upload everything tomorrow and thank you very much for your kind and helpful replies.

Comment

(removed personal details - Admin )

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Thoughts on the attached documents - anything glaringly wrong? Many Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X