• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

URGENT- My last day to file my defence. Advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT- My last day to file my defence. Advice please

Hi

I was going to file my defence tonight as my 28 days + 5 days are up.

I hadn't had any correspondence from the claimant or the claimants solicitors........until now.

This letter was delivered today from the claimants solicitors,and I do not know what to do

It reads

We acknowledge receipt of your recent request made pursuant to CPR 31.14

We would point out that the Claim was issued via the County Court Business Centre which is a procedure specifically provided for the CPR. This procedure only allows a Claimant to insert brief details of the Claim and does not allow for the attachment of any enclosures. Para graph 5.2A of Practice Direction 7E specifically states "The requirement in paragraph 7.3 of Practice Direction 16 for documents to be attached to the particulars of contract claims does not apply to claims started using an online claim form, unless the particulars of claim are served separately in accordance with paragraph 5.2 of this practice direction."

We would also remind you that CPR 31.14 states:-

"A party may inspect a document mentioned in -

(a) a statement of case;
    (b) a witness statement;
    (c) a witness summary; or
    (d) an affidavit

You would have been provided with a copy of the contract / Terms and conditions at the time the account was opened and hence we see no reason why you now require an additional copy.

Furthermore, the other documents you have requested are not "mentioned" in the Particulars of Claim and therefore CPR 31.14 (1) does not apply.

Although your letter states that you require the requested documents in order to file a Defence / Counterclaim, we would point out that the Particulars of Claim contains sufficient information in order for you to understand what the Claim relates to namely:

a) the date the account was opened;
    b) the account number;
    c) the outstanding balance;
    d) the name of the original creditor; and
    e) the fact that the account has been assigned to the claimant and when it was assigned.

Furthermore, throughout the lifetime of the account, you will have received various statutory Notices and collection style letters relating to the account and as such, we do not believe there can be any sensible basis for you to allege that you do not understand the basis of the claim issued against you.

For the avoidance of doubt,no extension of time is agreed for you to file a defence.

Finally,we note that you state that you have made a request to our Client pursuant to S77/78 of the consumer credit act 1974. We will review this with our client and your account on hold in the meantime.

We trust this clarifies matter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Tags: None

Example Defence

Comment

[removed quote of spam post]

adjust the defence above to suit your case i..e. documents requested on date? response letter (copy AA1) attached others will respond shortly also

Comment

No account is on hold they are being obtrusive - the court time table is the one to watch and the court does not put cases on hold at this stage (if ever) just follow court instructions, these idiots try and get you to be misled and hope you fail to follow court procedure and get a CCJ against you unopposed

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X