• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught shoplifting

Hi everyone,

I'm aware that there are plenty of threads out there on this but I'm not sure if the specifics of my case make it a little more concerning...

I got caught shoplifting today and I feel absolutely awful about it - I recently got fired and have been in a bad place. I am very very sorry, so please don't lecture me about it as I do feel awful and I won't do it again - I'd never been so scared in my life so I definitely will not be doing that again!

In the room, I managed to get away with giving them an old address (I last lived there about 4 years ago), but they took photocopies of 2 IDs I had on me at the time. They then let me go with a very informal-looking copy of "Notice of intended civil recovery" letter and told me that I'd be receiving notice via post that I'll have to pay a fine in 3 weeks.

I'm concerned that because they have copies of my ID, they can actually trace and arrest me if I don't pay the fine?

Do you reckon I could get away with not paying the fine given that they don't have my real address, even though they've got copies of my ID?

Any advice at all would be much appreciated. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention that they probably have CCTV footage of me swiping the items as well... It's not looking very good for me, is it?
    Tags: None

Re: Caught shoplifting

Hi and welcome

Don't worry, we don't do lectures (not often anyway)

Any letters you receive from a civil recovery firm can be ignored (and it's not a fine, it's a speculative invoice!)

If they write to your old address, and the current residents return the post to the sender, it is possible that then the Civil recovery firm (RLP?) will issue court proceedings for your old address and obtain a default judgement as you won't know about the action.

Did the ID they photo'd not have your current address or means of tracing you?

Comment

THIS IS NOT A FINE, only the court can issue fines. Nobody can arrest you apart from the police and they have not been involved so no danger there.

You are no different to the other cases that appear here, normally RLP. If they locate you they will send scary letters threatening dire consequences if you don't pay their demand. Either file the paper for use in the smallest room or in that round filling cabinet on the floor.

Slap wrist for the shoplifting though.

Here's a link to some of those letters.

Comment

Thank you for your quick response!!! :-)

I doubt the post will be returned to the sender - I reckon the hall reception will just bin unclaimed letters. Does this work in or against my favour? I could always claim that I'd never received anything...?

Haha my case sounds so complicated! This is actually both comforting and worrying me!
        Last edited by subs93; 10th October 2017, 13:48:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          Hi and welcome

Don't worry, we don't do lectures (not often anyway)

Any letters you receive from a civil recovery firm can be ignored (and it's not a fine, it's a speculative invoice!)

If they write to your old address, and the current residents return the post to the sender, it is possible that then the Civil recovery firm (RLP?) will issue court proceedings for your old address and obtain a default judgement as you won't know about the action.

Did the ID they photo'd not have your current address or means of tracing you?
          Sorry, I didn't "reply" this specifically in my new message above. Still learning how to use forums!

Comment

forget about it then.
            They won't know your not receiving their post, and assume you are ignoring it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X