• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Do i really have to pay civil recovery?? please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i really have to pay civil recovery?? please help

Hi I'm 18 years old and unemployed as i'm still in school. Today I got caught shoplifting in Debenhams and was called to a back office where I gave back the items i was trying to take. The police were called and as this was my first offence they gave me something beginning with an A (three letter abreaviation) which they said was less than a caution and the police told me to write a letter to the LP dept at the store as community disposal. They said as long as I write this letter this was the end of the criminal proceedings. My initial question is will this thing i got that was less than a warning affect me travelling to the States? As i'm a dual citizen and need to be able to travel there easily.

The police were kind to me and understanding but the Debenhams staff were total a-holes. After screaming at me and accusing me of lying to them about being in the store alone (which I was) they told me I was banned from all Debenhams stores indefinitely (how can they enforce this??) and gave me a notice of intended civil recovery. The items I took were damaged as they were not in their packaging and they said I had to pay for CCTV costs and their time (seriously???) so they told me I would have to pay this civil recovery fine of around £200. As a poor and unemployed student I cannot pay this, nor can I tell any of my family about this.

So what will happen now? Will I actually get sent to court if I ignore this? What happens if one is physically unable to procure the capital to pay the ridiculously inflated fine? Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Do i really have to pay civil recovery?? please help

all you will get is letters from Retail Loss prevention etc with threats come back on here, do not pay, read other threads on the subject to get an idea of the silly letters and threats,,, they cannot fine you they have no powers, they lost a court case they tried not long ago,
    [MENTION=813]Warwick[/MENTION]

Comment

Re: Do i really have to pay civil recovery?? please help

Default Re: Civil Recovery Solutions/// Paddy Power
      Update:: latest letter- letter before referral. Outlining that they can't assist me if I ignore their correspondence and how a county court judgement against me may affect my credit rating.
      Should I be scared??
      Multi-Quote This Message

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X