• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Arrested for Using Counterfit Vouchers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrested for Using Counterfit Vouchers

Because this is a ongoing case I have to make sure that nothing I say will show who it is. If you understand what I mean.

I have used £x amount of gift vouchers to pay for a product that this sells on behalf of another company and paid for it with “L” shop vouchers, I also paid for it using the stores own gift card and some cash. Because of the product I had purchased the store had my address.

Now.. I never heard from the actual company for a few months and to my surprise on (day) the police come and arrested me and then searched my house and took my pc and some other bits, stuck me in a cell and interviewed me.

I had bought a few vouchers on eBay and when I was interviewed my first reply was that the vouchers your showing me are NOT the ones I had bought. But then he read the statement from the store manager and basically said the vouchers I had used was the only ones that someone had used in the same week as me. So in the end I said I did buy loads of vouchers on eBay and I would have to check when I got home. To be honest it sounded like I had bought fake vouchers on eBay. The vouchers was bought a few months ago so I could have mistaken the ones that they had shown me.

To my surprise when I checked eBay, the vouchers they said I used was not true as I used a different brand of vouchers then the ones I was shown BUT to the same value. I also remembered that the vouchers I had used 2 of the staff had talked about how to stick a massive cross over the vouchers I had used and the Counterfit vouchers was unmarked. I hope that they remember this as I spoke to the copper and told him and that may help me. It seems that someone else has used £x amount of vouchers and they remembered me using £x amount and then say I was the only person that had used £x amount of vouchers.

I want to know with them facts should I sue them once this is over. The amount of hassles this has been and still ongoing.

I have not been charged with ANY offence as of yet and on bail but what a way to treat your customer, It also seems that the store or the company I was buying from are not allowed to speak to me. Both of these companies are massive!
    Last edited by JonnyMik; 9th May 2013, 17:04:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Arrested for Using Counterfit Vouchers

In answering your question, i can give a brief run down on how the Crown Prosecution Service will handle this on determining if a prosecution is viable for the alleged offence.

i did this scenario with one of my law essays

Comment

please do.

Comment

I am not surprised you are on bail. To charge you with an offence must meet strict guidelines

I AM INCLUDING A PART OF MY LAST DISSERTATION AS IT WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA ON HOW A CASE IS PROSECUTED BY THE CROWN PROSECUTION SERVICE

In determining any possible prosecution of Chantel for the offence of Actual Bodily Harm (ABH)

The prosecution will have to consult the full code test, and in particular, Section 4 of that code.

Section 4.1 of the code stipulates that the full code test has two stages.

(i) The evidential stage

(ii) The public interest stage

Evidential stage

Prosecutors must base their decision to prosecute once they are satisfied that the broad extent of the criminality has been determined, and that it will be in the public interest to prosecute Chantel. That will satisfy section 4.3 of the code test.

In deciding if criminality has occurred, the prosecution must be satisfied available evidence is sufficient to provide a realistic prospect of a conviction. This is contained within section 4.5 of the code test.

In determining a realistic prospect of conviction, section 4.6 of the code test must be satisfied. The code itself is objective, in that the decision to prosecute or not is solely based on evidential facts which have been submitted. These facts are placed before a court for a judge or jury to make an unbiased opinion in reaching a decision. This is essential for a court on deciding if a conviction, or acquittal of charges is justified.

This test is different to which the criminal courts apply. The prosecutor gathers the evidence; it is up to a court of law to convict, and only if it is sure the defendant is guilty of the offence.

In prosecuting Chantel for the offence of ABH, the court has to establish if Chantel had a guilty mind (Mens Rea) when the Guilty Act (Actus Reus) was perpetrated.

Chantels own admission upholds her belief that she was so heavily inebriated; rational though may have been compromised.

Contained within section 4.7 (f) of the code test, identification in identifying the true guilty suspect is essential for a lawful conviction. On the night of the alleged offence, three individuals were all dressed in exactly the same clothing, for which Chantels twin sister was part of that group. All three girls were heavily inebriated.

Section 4.7 (d) of the code test stipulates that the prosecutor has to consider any statement made by the suspect in mitigation, and with any further evidence gathered by reliable sources. The question that needs to be asked:

Did Chantel have Mens Rea (Guilty Mind) at the time of the alleged assault, or (Actus Reus) (Guilty Act) being applicable due to the high consumption of alcohol to make rational thought?

Please forgive the long winded approach, but it gives you an idea. Your file will be passed up to the crown prosecution service. The prosecutor will be asking the same questions that i have raised above for Chantel.

"It is better ten guilty men go free, then an innocent man be convicted"

I take it the shop will have full CCTV COVERING THE TILL AREA. It will be no issue to zoom in and see what vouchers you handed over in your defence
        Last edited by FORCEOFONE; 9th May 2013, 17:10:PM.

Comment

Well, I phoned the store up once I got home from being stuck in a cell for 6 hours and the manager told me that he was not allowed to speak to me but did say that the police will need cctv and also will need to get statements off the staff that served me. I do find it strange that I used x amount and they found that but not the one that used the same amount. I wonder if the person that used the x amount didn't use it in the same transaction and this could be why it was missed. BTW the police officer phoned me the next day and told me not to speak to the store. Thanks for your post, it explains a lot.
          Last edited by JonnyMik; 9th May 2013, 17:12:PM.

Comment

The police officer is correct in that criminal procedures are in place. It can be seen as witness intimidation

The CCTV will be able to identify what the vouchers were that you passed to the cashier

Comment

But surely the police should have had that before they arrested me, raided my house and put my life on hold for the next x months?

Comment

The police are entitled to arrest you under section 24 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984

just on reasonable suspicion a crime has been committed, and that you may be responsible

Comment

My guess that this will be dropped as I have proof I bought x vouchers and used x vouchers etc. they wont have cctv of the fake vouchers because I didn't use them. Can I inflict some bad publically on them? once this is over. I'm after blood

Comment

The cause of any action over this matter will be who ever made the allegation of fraud/theft

That will be the shop/retailer who called the police

The police were just doing their duty and are an innocent party

Did the police do the DNA swab, finger prints etc

Comment

yes finger prints etc but not the dna

Comment

That is something

Normally it is DNA, fingerprints, mug shot, etc

Any one detained for an arrestable offence normally has this done as routine now

If/when this case is dropped, i would seriously consider contacting the retailers head office and do some sort of deal

The last case i researched was where an individual received £250 for every minute he was held in custody unlawfully (That was against the police for unlawful arrest)

I believe he ended up with 75 k as settlement
                        Last edited by FORCEOFONE; 9th May 2013, 17:36:PM.

Comment

thanks, ill keep that in mind

Comment

Do not rush into things

Just keep us updated on all developments

Did you have a solicitor, or offered one at the police station

Comment

yeah.. I got one from the police station and will go back when I have to return, because I have to wait x amount of months to return can they get me back sooner?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X