• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught changing price tags

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught changing price tags

I was in HMV in Westfields with my friends, and wanted to buy a DVD boxset. It was £20, and I was willing to pay that amount. One of my good friends wanted to save me some money, so I reluctantly agreed because I didn't want to upset him, knowing there was a barcode on the product anyway. So he swapped the £20 sticker for a £10 sticker in full view of CCTV and an employee and I was certain nothing would come of it. Went to the till, they took a long time, called a guy over and he says he saw me any my friends mucking around with the tags. I neither confirmed nor denied this, but asked if he could please just scan the barcode on the actual product. It was £25, and unfortunately I had only £20 to spend. I tried to explain it was only £20 not £25 and but I didn't want any trouble and the guy who saw my friend was clearly annoyed so I left. I bought nothing, I was shaken and although none of my details were taken down, there was the encounter at the checkout, it was on not 1 but 2 CCTV cameras and I feel like I may be in trouble despite no security/police intervention.

What do you think'll happen next? Am I banned from the store? Do I have to go to court? Am I on some kind of watchlist?
    Last edited by Fizzog123; 23rd August 2012, 08:27:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Caught changing price tags

Hello and welcome to Legal Beagles if you haven't already been welcomed!

If you haven't had any details taken I can't see how they can take you to court at all if you haven't been told you are banned from the shop again, I can't see it happening.
    The only other advice I can give you is, go shopping alone!

Comment

Please take this as a lesson learnt if things had gone the other way think of the grief over a few pounds ,forget it and look to the future

Comment

Hi Fizzog,

I am a retired policeman. What you and your friend did was pretty foolish and from what you say in your post, you realise that yourself. Specifically, you both committed an offence of Attempted Fraud by False Misrepresentation, contrary to Section 2, Fraud Act 2006. In all honesty, I feel HMV handled the matter pretty well as neither of you benefited from switching price stickers and there was no unpleasantness, apart from your friend having a strop.

It is very likely you will not be welcome at that particular branch of HMV or any branch of HMV as they are likely to have taken a still frame from the CCTV footage and circulated to their other branches, which they are allowed to do, given the circumstances. What they are not allowed to do is put it on public display. That is illegal and against the Data Protection Act 1998.

You might be better choosing your friends more carefully and, perhaps, consider buying DVDs online from reputable websites. You will find DVDs tend to be cheaper as they don't have the overheads that HMV have. Alternatively, you could download a movie which will probably be cheaper still.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks for this. Yes, I'm extremely grateful for HMV's understanding, and I have no intention to commit any crimes. Never have. Had HMV not been so kind, do you know what the penalties may be and in my current situation, what may happen should I return? Sorry to be a pain, but I'd like to know as much as possible about where I stand.

Comment

Okay. I'll start with what HMV are likely to do if you do return. They are likely to ask you to leave, which they are fully within their rights to do. As for penalties prescribed under Section 1, Fraud Act 2006, for offences under Section 2 of the Act, on summary conviction, the maximum penalty is a fine of up to £20,000, or up to 12 months' imprisonment or both, and on conviction on indictment, the maximum penalty is an unlimited fine, or up to 10 years' imprisonment or both.

My advice to you is to steer well clear of HMV and do your DVD shopping elsewhere. And make sure you don't have your so-called friend with you when you are shopping for DVDs.
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X